Students react to stabbing death
Students recall stabbing, tension on school bus
RAW VIDEO: Students exit bus after stabbing
Student are reunited with parents at Palmetto ...
Immokalee Road and 47th Avenue NE
Friends and classmates of the 16-year-old Palmetto Ridge High School student who was stabbed to death Monday afternoon after getting off the school bus, and the 14-year-old student accused of killing him, said the stabbing was the result of ongoing bullying.
Niambi Gutierrez, 16, who lives two doors down from the stabbing victim, Dylan Nuno, a sophomore at Palmetto Ridge, called Nuno "one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet." She doesn’t know the accused killer, Jorge Saavedra, very well, but said he had been getting picked on for awhile.
"He seemed to try to brush it off anytime it did happen," Gutierrez said.
Nuno was "kind of hyped" when he got on the bus Monday, but Gutierrez said she didn’t know exactly why. She said he called Saavedra a name, which angered him and prompted the fight.
"People were pushing it to happen and it just happened, and they got off the bus," Gutierrez said.
"I don’t feel it’s completely his fault," Gutierrez said of Saavedra. "He did do it. I feel like he was pushed to his limits and there’s only so much a person can take."
Gutierrez said the bullying was not physical, and wasn’t especially intense. "But it was over and over, and it was more than just once that it happened."
Nuno and Saavedra got off the bus in the 1100 block of 47th Avenue Northeast, which appears to be before they should have gotten off. Saavedra lives near the intersection of 47th Avenue Northeast and 20th Street Northeast.
Witnesses told Collier County sheriff’s deputies that Nuno punched Saavedra, and it appeared as if Saavedra was punching Nuno in the abdomen, according to an arrest report. Nuno backed away, and had blood on his shirt.
Saavedra then fled into the woods. When deputies found him, his clothes were covered in blood.
Gutierrez and her younger sister, Jazmin Gutierrez, 14, described Nuno as an energetic young man who enjoyed wrestling, jiu-jitsu, bowling, football, skate boarding, skim boarding, in-line skating, and riding BMX bikes and 4-wheelers. He attended Lely High School last year, started this year at Palmetto Ridge, before transferring to Lely and then back again to Palmetto Ridge.
"He was good at everything he did," Jazmin Gutierrez said.
When reached in his driveway Monday afternoon, Nuno’s father, Renier Nuno, said his son "didn’t have any police record."
"He was just a kid," he said.
A woman who answered the phone number listed on Saavedra’s booking report identified herself as his sister, and described her brother as "a good kid" who liked to hang out with friends and go to basketball games. She said he had a lot of friends, declining further comment.
Caridad Valdes, 21, who lives next door to Saavedra, also had positive things to say about him.
"He’s a quiet kid. The family is a good family. They’re just real quiet," Valdes said. "He had friends that came over once in a while. Never any issues. They had some fire pits in the back."
But Valdes had also heard that Saavedra was being picked on.
"I know he was having issues in school," she said. "He was missing school. He was scared to go to school because some kids were bullying him."
Saavedra is the third Collier child 14 and under arrested on homicide charges in the last six months.
Jonathan Rowles, 13, was charged with manslaughter after authorities say he shot his mother in the head, killing her in their Fiddler’s Creek condo in August. Alex Crain, 14, was charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the shooting deaths of his mother and father in their Golden Gate Estates home in December.
COMPLETE COVERAGE: DYLAN NUNO / JORGE SAAVEDRA
- March 14, 2011: Golden Gate Estates teen Jorge Saavedra arraigned in unrelated case
- March 1, 2011: Suspect in bus stop stabbing death out of detention while awaiting trial
- March 1, 2011: Next court hearing this afternoon in Collier school bus stop stabbing case
- Feb. 23, 2011: Teen will be tried as juvenile in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge classmate
- Feb. 23, 2011: Case postponed against teen accused of stabbing fellow Palmetto Ridge High student
- Feb. 14: Arraignment for teens accused in separate homicides postponed
- Jan. 31, 2011: Donald Day to represent student charged with school bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 29, 2011: Hundreds remember slain Palmetto Ridge teen Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 27, 2011: Taunts, insults posted on Facebook pages created for stabbing victim
- Jan. 27, 2011: Substitute drove bus that dropped off students involved in fatal stabbing
- Jan. 26, 2011: Memorial service for slain Palmetto Ridge student draws hundreds of teens
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses describe stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge student and history that led to it
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses: Bullying may have sparked deadly bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 25, 2011: 14-year-old held on manslaughter charge in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge High classmate
- Jan. 24, 2011 (second story): Palmetto Ridge High student stabbed to death after getting off school bus
- Jan. 24, 2011 (first story): Palmetto Ridge student stabbed after getting off school bus
- Menor de 14 arrestado por cargo de homicidio al apuñalar a compañero de clase de Palmetto Ridge High
- March 1, 2011: Saavedra put on house arrest with mother in Miami
- Jan. 29, 2011: Candlelight vigil for Dylan Nuno at Max Hasse park
- Jan. 26, 2011: Dylan Nuno Memorial Service
- Jan. 25, 2011: Jorge Saavedra makes first court appearance
- Jan. 24, 2011: On the ground; stabbing investigation continues
- Jan. 24, 2011: School bus stabbing in Estates
- Photos of Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 25, 2011: Students react to stabbing death
- Jan. 24, 2011: RAW VIDEO - Students exit bus after stabbing
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Red Flags in Stabbing Death
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Estates Once Again -"In Shock"
- Jan. 25, 2011: Editorial: Tragic destruction of young lives ...
ON THE INTERNET: