Students react to stabbing death
Students recall stabbing, tension on school bus
RAW VIDEO: Students exit bus after stabbing
Student are reunited with parents at Palmetto ...
Immokalee Road and 47th Avenue NE
NAPLES — The 14-year-old suspect in the stabbing death of a Palmetto Ridge High classmate will be held 21 days on a negligent manslaughter charge, a judge ruled this morning.
Jorge Saavedra, a freshman at the school, appeared briefly before Collier Circuit Judge Lauren Brodie for a morning detention hearing in his arrest. Brodie read the charge against Saavedra, which she described as aggravated and against a child. She found probable cause for the arrest.
The teenager is accused of killing Dylan Nuno, 16, a junior at the school, after the pair fought at a school bus stop on Monday afternoon. Deputies say Saavedra stabbed Nuno multiple times before fleeing the area, at the intersection of 47th Avenue NE and Immokalee Road.
The stabbing occurred moments after the pair stepped off a school bus coming from the high school.
Witnesses told Collier County sheriff’s deputies that Dylan Nuno punched Jorge Saavedra, and it appeared as if Saavedra was punching Nuno in the abdomen, according to an arrest report. Nuno then backed away, and had blood on his shirt.
Saavedra then fled into the woods.
Tuesday morning, Saavedra appeared in a blue top and pants. He is thin with a shock of dark hair above tapered sides. His parents stood beside him as Brodie read the charges, and neither they nor their son spoke during the brief hearing. Little emotion was visible on Saavedra's face.
A public defender will be assigned to his case, and Saavedra will be arraigned on Feb. 14. Juvenile procedure requires suspects be held in detention a maximum 21 days unless a judge orders otherwise.
Tuesday, Saavedra's parents were joined by four other adults, apparent family members. They sat in the gallery during the hearing, and all declined comment.
COMPLETE COVERAGE: DYLAN NUNO / JORGE SAAVEDRA
- March 14, 2011: Golden Gate Estates teen Jorge Saavedra arraigned in unrelated case
- March 1, 2011: Suspect in bus stop stabbing death out of detention while awaiting trial
- March 1, 2011: Next court hearing this afternoon in Collier school bus stop stabbing case
- Feb. 23, 2011: Teen will be tried as juvenile in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge classmate
- Feb. 23, 2011: Case postponed against teen accused of stabbing fellow Palmetto Ridge High student
- Feb. 14: Arraignment for teens accused in separate homicides postponed
- Jan. 31, 2011: Donald Day to represent student charged with school bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 29, 2011: Hundreds remember slain Palmetto Ridge teen Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 27, 2011: Taunts, insults posted on Facebook pages created for stabbing victim
- Jan. 27, 2011: Substitute drove bus that dropped off students involved in fatal stabbing
- Jan. 26, 2011: Memorial service for slain Palmetto Ridge student draws hundreds of teens
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses describe stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge student and history that led to it
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses: Bullying may have sparked deadly bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 25, 2011: 14-year-old held on manslaughter charge in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge High classmate
- Jan. 24, 2011 (second story): Palmetto Ridge High student stabbed to death after getting off school bus
- Jan. 24, 2011 (first story): Palmetto Ridge student stabbed after getting off school bus
- Menor de 14 arrestado por cargo de homicidio al apuñalar a compañero de clase de Palmetto Ridge High
- March 1, 2011: Saavedra put on house arrest with mother in Miami
- Jan. 29, 2011: Candlelight vigil for Dylan Nuno at Max Hasse park
- Jan. 26, 2011: Dylan Nuno Memorial Service
- Jan. 25, 2011: Jorge Saavedra makes first court appearance
- Jan. 24, 2011: On the ground; stabbing investigation continues
- Jan. 24, 2011: School bus stabbing in Estates
- Photos of Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 25, 2011: Students react to stabbing death
- Jan. 24, 2011: RAW VIDEO - Students exit bus after stabbing
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Red Flags in Stabbing Death
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Estates Once Again -"In Shock"
- Jan. 25, 2011: Editorial: Tragic destruction of young lives ...
ON THE INTERNET: