RAW VIDEO: Students exit bus after stabbing
Student are reunited with parents at Palmetto ...
But he was aware, as some students got off the bus Monday, that there was talk of a fight.
The Collier County School District confirmed Thursday that Timothy Burkett, 60, was driving the bus that transported Nuno and Saavedra from the high school to 47th Avenue Northeast.
Burkett, was a substitute bus driver who had been driving for the district since August, according to a check of his personnel file Thursday.
After getting off the bus, Nuno and Saavedra fought. Saavedra stabbed Nuno, killing him, according to Collier County Sheriff’s Office reports.
Nuno was pronounced dead at NCH North Collier Hospital. Saavedra has been charged with manslaughter.
Burkett told deputies that both boys had ridden the bus home, and as they exited he heard mention that a fight was going to take place, according to Sheriff’s Office reports. Burkett was not identified by name in the Sheriff’s Office report.
Under the contract Burkett signed with the district when he was hired, in a section about bus driver responsibilities, the district requires drivers to report “undisciplined, bullying or harassing students to the proper authorities.”
The contract also states that a driver “picks up and discharges students only at authorized stops” and notifies his or her supervisor of changes to those stops.
According to Collier County School Board policy 8605, which addresses bus safety procedures, drivers “will contact the dispatch office for any situation that appeared to be out of the ordinary.”
Whether he did that is unknown. Attempts to reach Burkett Thursday were unsuccessful. The school district declined comment on the matter, saying it was part of an active investigation.
District policy does not specifically spell out what a driver’s responsibility to students is once they get off the bus.
Burkett’s file indicates that he was a self-employed plumber before becoming a substitute bus driver. His references told district officials he was punctual, honest and got along with this co-workers.
Burkett has never been cited or disciplined since he has been a bus driver, according to his file, and district officials said Wednesday that he has not been suspended from driving bus routes as a result of Monday’s incident.
The school district has turned over the hard drive from the camera on the bus to the Sheriff’s Office. The Daily News has asked for a copy of the video recording, but the school district denied the request, citing student privacy laws.
Connect with K-12 education policy reporter Katherine Albers at www.naplesnews.com/staff/katherine-albers/
COMPLETE COVERAGE: DYLAN NUNO / JORGE SAAVEDRA
- March 14, 2011: Golden Gate Estates teen Jorge Saavedra arraigned in unrelated case
- March 1, 2011: Suspect in bus stop stabbing death out of detention while awaiting trial
- March 1, 2011: Next court hearing this afternoon in Collier school bus stop stabbing case
- Feb. 23, 2011: Teen will be tried as juvenile in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge classmate
- Feb. 23, 2011: Case postponed against teen accused of stabbing fellow Palmetto Ridge High student
- Feb. 14: Arraignment for teens accused in separate homicides postponed
- Jan. 31, 2011: Donald Day to represent student charged with school bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 29, 2011: Hundreds remember slain Palmetto Ridge teen Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 27, 2011: Taunts, insults posted on Facebook pages created for stabbing victim
- Jan. 27, 2011: Substitute drove bus that dropped off students involved in fatal stabbing
- Jan. 26, 2011: Memorial service for slain Palmetto Ridge student draws hundreds of teens
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses describe stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge student and history that led to it
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses: Bullying may have sparked deadly bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 25, 2011: 14-year-old held on manslaughter charge in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge High classmate
- Jan. 24, 2011 (second story): Palmetto Ridge High student stabbed to death after getting off school bus
- Jan. 24, 2011 (first story): Palmetto Ridge student stabbed after getting off school bus
- Menor de 14 arrestado por cargo de homicidio al apuñalar a compañero de clase de Palmetto Ridge High
- March 1, 2011: Saavedra put on house arrest with mother in Miami
- Jan. 29, 2011: Candlelight vigil for Dylan Nuno at Max Hasse park
- Jan. 26, 2011: Dylan Nuno Memorial Service
- Jan. 25, 2011: Jorge Saavedra makes first court appearance
- Jan. 24, 2011: On the ground; stabbing investigation continues
- Jan. 24, 2011: School bus stabbing in Estates
- Photos of Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 25, 2011: Students react to stabbing death
- Jan. 24, 2011: RAW VIDEO - Students exit bus after stabbing
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Red Flags in Stabbing Death
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Estates Once Again -"In Shock"
- Jan. 25, 2011: Editorial: Tragic destruction of young lives ...
ON THE INTERNET: