Palmetto Ridge High School freshman Cateriah Jones, 15, remembers her friend Dylan's laugh. She can still hear him, laughing at his friend at lunch Monday.
“I miss him so much,” she said. “He did something funny every day.”
More than 300 people gathered on the baseball field at Max Hasse Jr. Community Park in Golden Gate Estates on Saturday night to share stories of Nuno.
Nuno, 16, died after suffering multiple stab wounds during a confrontation that occurred just after he exited a school bus on the shoulder of 47th Avenue NE, near a home just east of 10th Street NE.
Deputies say Jorge Saavedra, 14, a freshman at the school, stabbed Nuno in the abdomen with a knife before fleeing into a nearby woods.
Deputies located a blood-soaked Saavedra shortly after, and they later arrested him on an aggravated manslaughter charge. Saavedra is being held in juvenile detention for three weeks prior to his arraignment.
But Saturday's event, which was held one day after Nuno would have been 17, was about celebrating a friend who was by all accounts, funny, caring and kind. Nuno's friends gathered in a circle around his family and told stories about their friend, laughing and crying before lighting candles and releasing balloons in the Palmetto Ridge High School student's memory.
“We know you loved our Dylan,” said Adriana Nuno, Dylan's aunt, to the crowd as she encouraged them to tell stories about her nephew. “We know Dylan at home. We know Dylan with the family, but we don't know Dylan at school.”
Sonia Pierre, a 17-year-old senior at Palmetto Ridge High School, told the crowd that Dylan used to call her and her friend “bunun,” the Creole word for plantain, which elicited laughs from the crowd.
“He was an amazing person. He was kind and nice and so funny. He was always willing to help somebody,” she said.
Palmetto Ridge High School senior Amide Jean, 17, agreed.
“Everyone at school loved him,” she said. "He was a beautiful boy. He was a sweetheart.”
Jean said Nuno learned Creole and said that school is not the same without him.
“It is amazing how one person can make such an impact,” she said.
Many of those in attendance wore T-shirts with Nuno's photo on the front and, on the back, the message, “The Good Die Young/ A golden heart stopped beating, shining eyes at rest./ God broke our hearts to prove to us/ He only takes the best.”
Salane Pierre, a parent, said what happened to Nuno should not happen to any child in the community.
“They need more security at the school. They need to check every purse, every wallet,” she said. “He was a wonderful boy. This is painful for every mother in Florida. If it were my child, I would be crazy right now.”
Jones said she hopes her fellow students take a lesson from the tragedy.
“I just hope everyone gets along and there is no more fighting.”
An official visitation for Nuno is slated for 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today at Fuller Funeral Home, 4735 U.S. 41 East, according to the funeral home. Funeral services are private.
Connect with K-12 education policy reporter Katherine Albers at www.naplesnews.com/staff/katherine-albers.
COMPLETE COVERAGE: DYLAN NUNO / JORGE SAAVEDRA
- March 14, 2011: Golden Gate Estates teen Jorge Saavedra arraigned in unrelated case
- March 1, 2011: Suspect in bus stop stabbing death out of detention while awaiting trial
- March 1, 2011: Next court hearing this afternoon in Collier school bus stop stabbing case
- Feb. 23, 2011: Teen will be tried as juvenile in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge classmate
- Feb. 23, 2011: Case postponed against teen accused of stabbing fellow Palmetto Ridge High student
- Feb. 14: Arraignment for teens accused in separate homicides postponed
- Jan. 31, 2011: Donald Day to represent student charged with school bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 29, 2011: Hundreds remember slain Palmetto Ridge teen Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 27, 2011: Taunts, insults posted on Facebook pages created for stabbing victim
- Jan. 27, 2011: Substitute drove bus that dropped off students involved in fatal stabbing
- Jan. 26, 2011: Memorial service for slain Palmetto Ridge student draws hundreds of teens
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses describe stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge student and history that led to it
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses: Bullying may have sparked deadly bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 25, 2011: 14-year-old held on manslaughter charge in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge High classmate
- Jan. 24, 2011 (second story): Palmetto Ridge High student stabbed to death after getting off school bus
- Jan. 24, 2011 (first story): Palmetto Ridge student stabbed after getting off school bus
- Menor de 14 arrestado por cargo de homicidio al apuñalar a compañero de clase de Palmetto Ridge High
- March 1, 2011: Saavedra put on house arrest with mother in Miami
- Jan. 29, 2011: Candlelight vigil for Dylan Nuno at Max Hasse park
- Jan. 26, 2011: Dylan Nuno Memorial Service
- Jan. 25, 2011: Jorge Saavedra makes first court appearance
- Jan. 24, 2011: On the ground; stabbing investigation continues
- Jan. 24, 2011: School bus stabbing in Estates
- Photos of Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 25, 2011: Students react to stabbing death
- Jan. 24, 2011: RAW VIDEO - Students exit bus after stabbing
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Red Flags in Stabbing Death
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Estates Once Again -"In Shock"
- Jan. 25, 2011: Editorial: Tragic destruction of young lives ...
ON THE INTERNET: