New Marco police chief to be announced Monday

Marco Island Police Chief Thom Carr, formerly assistant police chief under Roger Reinke, who took a position as assistant city manager of Naples in 2008.

Photo by QUENTIN ROUX, Staff

Marco Island Police Chief Thom Carr, who announced his retirement last week, is set to work until the end of July, City Manager Jim Riviere said Tuesday in an email to the Daily News.

Carr’s replacement is to be announced at the City Council meeting scheduled to begin 5:30 p.m. Monday at 51 Bald Eagle Drive, Riviere said. An interim will not be announced as Riviere said he anticipates a local candidate.

Riviere’s announcement comes just seven days after Carr’s retirement was made public, leaving little time for outside candidates to apply.

Capt. Dave Baer has been essentially running the department and could continue to do so, City Councilman Wayne Waldack suggested upon Carr’s announcement last week.

© 2011 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Topics

August8 writes:

Read the news in Naples, many are saying Don Hunter??

Islandguyalso writes:

in response to MarcoIslandWoman:

it is save not safe

happyhorowitz34145 writes:

in response to August8:

Read the news in Naples, many are saying Don Hunter??

That's because the NDN publishes news about 3 days ahead of this rag.

panola60 writes:

Recently I was pulled over by a Marco cop for "not coming to a complete stop" at a 3 way Stop sign. This was absolutely not true. Not only had I come to a complete stop, but I had allowed the adjacent car to proceed by waving him to go ahead. The driver of that car then gave me a "thank you" wave as he drove through the intersection. Afterwards, after having been completely stopped for 7 – 10 seconds did I proceed to go through the intersection.

When the cop pulled me over and I told him how the above events had actually occurred, I could see by the expression in his face that he knew he had been caught in a lie. After checking my license and registration he then let me go... Without a ticket of course.

Afterwards I couldn’t help but wonder if this was the action of a single corrupt cop or if it was actually part of a larger scheme encouraged by Marco police leadership.

August8 writes:

"Panola60"
You are clearly a very untruethful individual and it's even more clear that you have exaggerated your story, if I were the marco man I would regret any exception I provided to such an ignorant and self consummed person.
That's only the beginning, folks like you will have to meet their maker some day and answer for things like you have said !!

RayPray writes:

in response to August8:

"Panola60"

"folks like you will have to meet their maker some day and answer for things like you have said !!"

Bravo, Sancho!!!!

God from on high will cast his wrath down harshly on any committing the moral sins of revealing all you overpaid and under-qualified Marco cops as corrupt instead of just smugly s-----....

ed34145 writes:

How ironic that a photo gallery of Don Hunter's retirement party is on the same webpage as this article!

August8 writes:

Hey,
The Hunter thing appears to be just a rumor, there is a more likely chance this will come from inside, wait for Mon you guys??

liberator100 writes:

Uwe Herzili, you need to stop making degrading remarks about the USA. If you don't like it here, let me buy your ticket to oblivion. You should be investigated and booted back to where you came from. And by the way, you can't spell if your life depended on it!

marcofriend writes:

Congratulations Dave Baer.........

marconed writes:

I hope whoever we get realizes we DONT need 35 officers on this island

dc5799 writes:

Being endorsed by Wayne is the kiss of death. Sorry Baer,best of luck Chief Hunter.