Florida man bitten by venomous pet snake

ORLANDO — A man was bitten on his finger when he reached into his venomous pet snake's cage at his Central Florida home.

A spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission says it was an African puff adder that bit 31-year-old John Post. He was conscious Wednesday evening after being transferred from an Osceola County hospital to an Orlando trauma center.

George Van Horn, owner of Reptile World Serpentarium, provided firefighters with antivenin to take to the hospital to help treat the victim.

Van Horn says a bite from an African puff adder can "cause a lot of tissue damage around the fang-puncture area."

Officials say Post had a permit to own the snake. Its venom is known as cytotoxic, which means it attacks the blood and tissue.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Stories

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features