Sewer connections raise a stink at Marco Island City Council meeting

— Monday evening, the Marco Island City Council dug back into the sewer issue, with a proposal to grant relief to homeowners whose connections to the city’s lines are blocked through no fault of their own. While most of the agenda items were disposed of quickly and unanimously, paying for these hookups generated some discussion and disagreement.

Public Works Director Tim Pinter led the discussion of a requested change order, providing an additional $69,000 on a not-to-exceed basis to contractor Quality Enterprises, to pay for the additional expense required. There are 46 homes along North Collier Boulevard whose path to connect to the city’s sewer lines is blocked by a storm drain, Pinter told the council.

“There are 46 residents impacted. If we don’t do it, we’re basically cutting off their sewer. I’m not sure we can ask homeowner to pay for this,” he said.

“Have we been in touch with these 46 people?” Councilman William Trotter asked. Yes, he was told, and there had been no negative responses from those impacted. Asked why the numbers were presented as a flat fee – $1,500 per required connection – Pinter explained the bulk of the cost is the same for each.

“We don’t know how far out the laterals go until we go out and dig it up. The connection to the main sewer is the most costly part,” he said. In some cases, the city’s pipe might go almost to the homeowner’s cleanout, but the cost will be “pretty uniform on all 46.” At about $1,500 apiece, this is cheaper than we’re getting right now. We’re getting a little price break.”

Councilman Chuck Kiester observed that “there are probably more than a few slightly used septic tanks they can tie into,” and reminisced about a municipal employee in his former home who figured out how to guarantee his future employment. “They couldn’t let him go because he was the only one who knew where the water lines went,” he said. “Talk about job security.”

Councilman Joe Batte asked why these 46 homes were being treated differently.

“People are paying for their own” sewer connections, he said. “Why not these?”

“We basically caused the problem by installing the storm drain. This was really our fault,” said Pinter. “Our records were not as accurate as they could have been.” And there was no simple alternative. “If I moved to the other side of street, I would have impacted 46 on the other side.”

Councilman Wayne Waldack moved to approve the $69,000 change order, and the motion was amended to add the not-to-exceed language. Before the vote, public comment came from the chairman of the utility advisory board, and one candidate for a vacant position on the board.

“I was hooked up to the STRP. I did not ask for it, it was shoved down my throat,” said Jim Wilson, the applicant. “Now I have to pay for it … Sorry fellas, I’m not with you on this one.”

Ken Honecker, UAB chairman, said “I don’t know why we can’t just let them connect. Public works caused the problem. You keep taking money from the utility, that’s why the utility has to keep raising rates.”

With City Council Chairman Frank Recker absent, and Councilman Batte voting no, Change Order number one for North Collier Boulevard, drainage phase three, passed 5 to 1.

© 2011 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Topics

Comments » 4

OldMarcoMan writes:

Anyone think its funny that it was Quality Enterprises once again ?
I thought they got barred from sewer projects 4 yrs ago.
Good thing Council has such a great memory.

Aviaconsul writes:

Let the proffesional planners pay for their mistake! They sure earn more than enough.

happy6 writes:

quality strikes again...and they still have not finished the yellowbird area that they said would be done by june 1.

NobodysFool57 writes:

Tim Pinhead needs to go the way of his mentor Rony Joel. The fact that QE is doing this job without dewatering or Hydrogen Sulfide gas stripping equipment is a throwback to the " bad old days" when the City could care less who was choking as a result of their construction projects. I guess it'll take another federal case with the EPA before these idiots wise-up (if then).

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features