PHOTO GALLERY: New Judge S.S. Jolley Bridge open for use

The new Judge S.S. Jolley Bridge is now being used for north and southbound traffic to and from Marco Island.

JoAnn May, sporkesperson for the Florida Department of Transportation said,

“The traffic shift went well last night. The first car traveled southbound over the new bridge at 9:15 p.m. Northbound was opened at approximately 12:30 a.m. Everything is going well this morning. Crews will work in the roadway on both north and south sides of the existing bridge and do tie-ins to the irrigation system.”

May said that when crews finish the work, probably near the end of August, early September, one lane of traffic going southbound will continue using the new bridge and one lane of traffic going northbound will shift back and use the existing bridge. Crews then will complete work in the median – finish irrigation and plant landscaping. Access to the Marco Island Yacht Club continues to be open. Motorists are advised to use caution driving in the construction zone.

The new sidewalk/bike path on the bridge will feature viewing areas, overlooking Marco Island. It will be ready for use in about a month.

The bridge is part of a $25.5 million federal stimulus project to improve traffic flow and capacity.

© 2011 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

wentfishn writes:

JoAnn May JoAnn May, nice name.

OldMarcoMan writes:

Better idea,,,close (re-route) the Jolly Bridge on one of the biggest Tourist weekends on Marco so we can look torn up, dusty, and unorganized one more time.
This way we can spend even MORE taxes next year to attract even fewer people to our Island and raise property taxes to pay for it.

Four Lane Bridge,,,,makes it SO much easier to move off Marco.

OldMarcoMan: We'll be watching for your car and trailer as you leave.

OldMarcoMan writes:

If the trailer is packed with broken promises and lies from the city it will be overweight for the bridge.

cribguy writes:

Watch my exclusive new video on the new Marco Island bridge.From Marco to Isle of Capri all around 3 and half minutes.

marcobeachbum writes:

in response to cribguy:

Just watched your video & I think I saw OLDMARCOMAN's Hertz truck & trailer leave the island!

u2cane writes:

in response to OldMarcoMan:

Four Lane Bridge,,,,makes it SO much easier to move off Marco.

Don't let the door hit you on the (Censored by communists) on your way out.

GrannySchmidt writes:

in response to cribguy:

Sweet......Enjoyed the Ride.......thnx

Throat_Yogurt writes:

I'll admit, this bridge is alot smoother than the old one.

I cant believe the guy who did the video didnt hit all 3 red lights at Bald Eagle, Elkam, and Barfield. Horrible syncing

NobodysFool57 writes:

Now that Tim Pinhead is running Public Works and the dirt,noise,and detours of seemingly endless construction have returned it's only a matter of time before the tandem-axle dump trucks bust-up the new bridge. Have Marco Island's finest relegate these pavement pounders to single-lane one way at a time use of the "old bridge" (which they put in the condition its currently in).

August8 writes:

"Islandeye"

Hey, your words, the greatest President ever, free, no charge, stimulus free$$$$$$, now, two more lanes on a bridge to no-where, great vote knucklehead !!!!!!!

August8 writes:

Islandeye 1#236971

I think I was had, and I think I owe you a huge apology real Islandeye, how can I avoid this mistake again and make it up to you,

I am sorry !!!!!!!!

NobodysFool57 writes:

Why hasn't this so-called newspaper published anything on the Lee County/Rony Joel thing yet?(See the latest on Fox 4 News) Are they afraid of losing precious Marco Island City government advertising revenue? Get over it, he'll be working somewhere other than Cleveland,Pittsburgh, or Marco before you know it.

Crackerass writes:

Wow!!!!!I can't help but to notice that not one of you have mentioned the fact that there was not a catwalk built for the Great grandfathers/mothers, Grandfathers/mothers, fathers/mothers, sons/daughters grand-children to fish from. For generations many families have fished from the old Marco bridges. We have money to landscape and water, fertilize and pest control = pollute the median????? environment in which we "love" so much. But not a dime to contribute to family activity. What a sad pathetic place Marco has become. Keep fighting, keep claiming, keep destroying and soon there will be no Marco, the good Lord will wash it away and for that day I can't wait.

Crackerass writes:

I have never drank booze and never will. So go have a few more Martinis and try again. My cigarette butts go in my pocket as I learned in the U.S. Army while serving (three tours) protecting this great nation. Your problem is you are an ASSumer.

I know, you say the problem is these blasted fishermen, like the ones recently arrested for their net drifting into protected waters. They were thrown in jail, their lic. taken away, fined, probation etc... The problem is/could not possibly be the BILLIONAIRE corporation BP who killed litterally hundreds of thousands of pounds if not millions of pounds of dolphins, whales, birds, turtles, plankton shell fish and HUMANS and on and on and on and never saw the inside of a jail. BP simply paid a bunch of money for a great marketing scheme and are back about their business and will soon be killing again.

If you only had a clue... Your mentality is a perfect example of what is wrong with Marco and this great nation.

Thank you so very much for making my case in point.

BacktoMarco writes:

I completely agree with "Crackerass". I have been coming down two Marco every year since 1983. My father taught me how to fish on the Jolly bridge catwalk, teaching me the art of catching snook when the tide is turning around, getting spooled by permit, watching helplessly as a bull shark bites my 30 inch snook in half. Some of the greatest memories i hold dear happened on the long days spent with my family trying to hone our fishing skills on the catwalk. The only regret I have now is that I wont be able to pass those memories down to my children. Each year that passes I lose hope and begin to think that maybe its time to find another place to spend the cold winter months.