NAPLES — A hearing in the case of a teenager charged in the fatal stabbing of a Palmetto Ridge High School student turned into a surprise arraignment and ended with an agreement to release him from detention.
Near the end of Tuesday’s 30-minute detention and indigency hearing, Collier Circuit Judge Lauren L. Brodie agreed to let 15-year-old Jorge Saavedra live with family in Miami — with conditions — while awaiting trial.
Saavedra is accused of stabbing 16-year-old Dylan Nuno to death Jan. 24 during a fight near a high school bus stop, according to Collier County detectives.
Last week, the State Attorney’s Office formally charged Saavedra with manslaughter. He will be prosecuted as a juvenile.
If found delinquent as a juvenile, Saavedra would age out of court control upon his 22nd birthday, at the latest.
A delinquency adjudication can be expunged from a permanent record.
The teenager appeared at the hearing, as did his mother Maipe Estevez, his sister and three additional family members.
In addition to being confined to live in his mother’s home, Saavedra would also be required to wear a GPS monitor, forfeit his passport and attend every hearing with his mother.
Prosecutors required he give up his passport because they deemed Saavedra a possible flight risk.
“I think it’s a good choice in all perspectives,” said Saavedra’s attorney, Donald Day. “One is that the state wants to make sure there are restrictions to his movements, which we don’t have a problem with. Two, having him out of Collier County will make sure we don’t have any issues with witnesses and other things. It’s probably in the best interest of everyone to separate the parties.”
A spokeswoman for the State Attorney’s Office said although prosecutors requested Saavedra be held an additional 72 hours, Brodie’s decision came as little surprise. Most juveniles are held in detention for 21 days before release; Saavedra has been held since his Jan. 24 arrest.
Assistant state attorneys Tom Gorman III and Dave Scuderi are prosecuting the case.
Nearly two hours after the hearing, Saavedra was released into his family’s custody.
However, Saavedra won’t be going to school while in home confinement.
Day said due to the charges Saavedra is facing, that it would be difficult to get the teen into a school in the east coast.
“Until we get further along in the case, there is no point in even trying,” he said.
During the hearing, Day told Brodie he had filed a not guilty plea for his client prior to Tuesday’s hearing.
As a result, Brodie set a sounding hearing for April 26 at 1:30 p.m.
After the hearing, Day said in a brief press conference he hoped to get the case discovery within the coming week.
“Hopefully, once we get all the discovery, we’ll interview all the witnesses,” said Day, adding that the trial’s start date is still nine months to a year away.
As to whether Saavedra’s family was glad he was headed home, Day said, “I think it’s a tragic situation for everyone all the way around, I don’t know if anyone is happy at all in this case.”
Staff writer Steven Beardsley contributed to this report.
COMPLETE COVERAGE: DYLAN NUNO / JORGE SAAVEDRA
- March 14, 2011: Golden Gate Estates teen Jorge Saavedra arraigned in unrelated case
- March 1, 2011: Suspect in bus stop stabbing death out of detention while awaiting trial
- March 1, 2011: Next court hearing this afternoon in Collier school bus stop stabbing case
- Feb. 23, 2011: Teen will be tried as juvenile in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge classmate
- Feb. 23, 2011: Case postponed against teen accused of stabbing fellow Palmetto Ridge High student
- Feb. 14: Arraignment for teens accused in separate homicides postponed
- Jan. 31, 2011: Donald Day to represent student charged with school bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 29, 2011: Hundreds remember slain Palmetto Ridge teen Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 27, 2011: Taunts, insults posted on Facebook pages created for stabbing victim
- Jan. 27, 2011: Substitute drove bus that dropped off students involved in fatal stabbing
- Jan. 26, 2011: Memorial service for slain Palmetto Ridge student draws hundreds of teens
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses describe stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge student and history that led to it
- Jan. 25, 2011: Witnesses: Bullying may have sparked deadly bus stop stabbing
- Jan. 25, 2011: 14-year-old held on manslaughter charge in stabbing death of Palmetto Ridge High classmate
- Jan. 24, 2011 (second story): Palmetto Ridge High student stabbed to death after getting off school bus
- Jan. 24, 2011 (first story): Palmetto Ridge student stabbed after getting off school bus
- Menor de 14 arrestado por cargo de homicidio al apuñalar a compañero de clase de Palmetto Ridge High
- March 1, 2011: Saavedra put on house arrest with mother in Miami
- Jan. 29, 2011: Candlelight vigil for Dylan Nuno at Max Hasse park
- Jan. 26, 2011: Dylan Nuno Memorial Service
- Jan. 25, 2011: Jorge Saavedra makes first court appearance
- Jan. 24, 2011: On the ground; stabbing investigation continues
- Jan. 24, 2011: School bus stabbing in Estates
- Photos of Dylan Nuno
- Jan. 25, 2011: Students react to stabbing death
- Jan. 24, 2011: RAW VIDEO - Students exit bus after stabbing
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Red Flags in Stabbing Death
- My Thoughts Exactly by Annette Kniola: Estates Once Again -"In Shock"
- Jan. 25, 2011: Editorial: Tragic destruction of young lives ...
ON THE INTERNET: