The U.S. today launched a military strike on a compound in Pakistan, where bin Laden was killed, Obama said. The president said he ordered the strike.
A jubilant crowd gathered outside the White House as word spread of bin Laden’s death after a global manhunt that lasted nearly a decade.
“Justice has been done,” the president said in a televised speech from the White House.
Two senior counterterrorism officials had confirmed that bin Laden was killed in Pakistan last week. One said bin Laden was killed in a ground operation, not by a Predator drone. Both said the operation was based on U.S. intelligence, and both said the U.S. is in possession of bin Laden's body.
Officials long believed bin Laden, the most wanted man in the world, was hiding a mountainous region along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.
The development comes just months before the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Centers and Pentagon, orchestrated by bin Laden's al-Qaida organization, that killed more than 3,000 people.
The attacks set off a chain of events that led the United States into wars in Afghanistan, and then Iraq, and America's entire intelligence apparatus was overhauled to counter the threat of more terror attacks at home.
Al-Qaida organization was also blamed for the 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa that killed 231 people and the 2000 attack on the USS Cole that killed 17 American sailors in Yemen, as well as countless other plots, some successful and some foiled.
Continue to follow this story at naplesnews.com.
DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN
- Poll: Should U.S. officials release video and photos of slain Osama bin Laden?
- Poll: Do you feel safer now that US forces have killed Osama bin Laden?
- Photos: Mother of 9/11 victim still struggles to come to terms with her son's death
- Photos: Compound where bin Laden killed
- Photos: World reacts to news of Osama bin Laden's death
- Photos: Americans rejoice over death of bin Laden
- Story: U.S. weighs releasing photos of slain bin Laden (5-3-11)
- Story: In wake of Osama killing, president gains rare praise from political foes (5-2-11)
- Story: Local residents react to death of Osama bin Laden (5-2-11)
- Story: Former CIA director Goss: Bin Laden capture years in the making (5-2-11)
- Story: One unwary phone call led US to Osama bin Laden doorstep (5-2-11)
- Story: World: Osama bin Laden's death sparks relief, outrage (5-2-11)
- Story: DNA tests, 'multiple methods' confirm death of Osama bin Laden (5-2-11)
- Story: Osama bin Laden's luxury hideout raises questions (5-2-11)
- Story: U.S. kills Osama bin Laden decade after 9/11 attacks (5-2-11)
- Story: Joyous Americans gather to mark death of Osama bin Laden (5-2-11)
- Story: Inside the raid that killed Osama bin Laden (5-2-11)
- Story: Al-Qaida's future: Will killing Osama kill the movement he inspired? (5-2-11)