NAPLES — In nearly all of Lely’s 10 games this season, the Trojans have kept the score tight … until.
As Trojans coach Dave Miller discussed earlier this week, there seems to come a minute or two span in his team’s games when they implode, allowing their opponent to rattle off two or three scores to put the game out of reach.
Unfortunately for the Trojans, they held to form on Friday night at the 38th rendition of the Coconut Bowl, losing to Naples 38-0.
It’s not meant to suggest, however, that Lely lost the game as opposed to Naples winning it. To the contrary, Naples racked up more than 300 yards of offense while holding the Trojans to just 63 yards total.
“That’s a great football team,” said Lely coach Dave Miller of Naples. “Their defense played exceptionally well, as did ours for most of the game.”
With the win, the Golden Eagles, ranked No. 10 in Class 6A, now have a 23-15 lead in the series.
“It’s a fantastic feeling,” Naples quarterback Billy Crook said. “We got to keep the trophy here at Naples.”
Though Lely had just 11 yards of total offense in the first quarter, the Trojans defense was as equally stingy as the Golden Eagles’ in the game’s first 12 minutes. The first quarter ended with no score.
But on the second quarter’s first play, Crook hit tight end Jeffrey Zieminski for a 20-yard touchdown to open up the scoring.
“Once we stop trying to force things on offense and start playing well,” Crook said, “it’s hard to stop us when we’re on our game.”
The score stayed 7-0 for two more possessions; then came the Trojans’ moment of implosion.
Naples’ Isaac Dutes capped a six-play, 77-yard drive with an 11-yard scoring run with just over six minutes before the half. Not even a minute later, the Golden Eagles were in the end zone once more — this time the result of an Isaac Lyle 45-yard interception return off a Karbel Dirogene pass.
With just under three minutes remaining in the second quarter, Naples drove 69 yards in four plays, topped off with a Crook 8-yard scoring run to put the Golden Eagles up 28-0.
“It’s great to win the Coconut Bowl,” Naples coach Bill Kramer said. “Staver Field is the best place to play in Southwest Florida.”
Ineffective in the first quarter, Crook was spectacular the rest of the way, completing 6-of-9 passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns. Crook also had 107 yards on the ground. He was replaced by sophomore Kilton Anderson toward the end of the third.
The Golden Eagles’ defense was equally impressive, not allowing a Trojans first down until midway through the third quarter. Naples held Lely’s dynamic Dirogene to just 12 yards rushing and 4-for-12 passing for 20 yards
“(Dirogene) was the focus of our defensive plan,” Kramer said. “(Defensive coordinator) Sam Dollar had a great game plan. Our defense knows how to prepare and how to do their jobs. It’s exciting to watch.”
The Golden Eagles (8-1) finish out their regular season with a trip to Class 7A Venice next Friday.
“It’s always a war with Venice,” Kramer said. “There will be no place for the timid in that game.”
The following week, Naples hosts an opening-round playoff game against the 6A-11 runner-up South Fort Myers.
Lely (1-9), having played its last game, can now look forward to next year.
NAPLES 38, LELY 0
Lely 0 0 0 0--00
Naples 0 28 7 3--38
N -- Zieminski 20 pass from Crook (Okubo kick), 11:54
N -- Dutes 11 run (Okubo kick), 6:18
N - Lyle 45 interception return (Okubo kick), 5:23
N -- Crook 8 run (Okubo kick), 1:12
N -- Morgan 46 pass from Crook (Okubo run), 11:06
N -- Okubo 25 FG, 6:31
2011 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 10
- Video: Golden Eagles win Coconut Bowl
- Video: Indians slaughter Titans
- Video: Barron clinches playoff berth
- Video: South Fort Myers clinches playoff bid
- Video: Sharks roll to victory
- Video: Estero loses to Lehigh
- Video: Evangelical Christian rolls over Neumann
- Photos: Barron Collier vs. Palmetto Ridge
- Photos: Lely vs. Naples
- Photos: Golden Gate vs. Immokalee
- Photos: Estero vs. Lehigh
- Photos: St. John Neumann vs. Evangelical Christian
- Your Photos: Naples Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Lely Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Naples Band Photos
- Your Photos: Lely Band Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier, Palmetto Ridge Band Photos
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast vs. Lemon Bay
- Prep football: Naples blanks Lely in Coconut Bowl
- Prep football: Estero will have to wait for return to playoffs after losing to Lehigh
- Prep football: Cannaday leads Gulf Coast to big win in district finale
- Prep football: Immokalee routs Golden Gate
- Prep football: Barron holds off Bears to clinch playoff berth
- Prep football: Evangelical Christian rolls over St. John Neumann
- Prep football: South Fort Myers feels like dancing after clinching playoff bid
- Prep football: First Baptist handles neighbor Community Schoo
- Prep football: First-round playoff pairings
- Prep football, Week 10: Scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep football: Chat, scores, photos from Week 10
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Blog: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone