Marco officer fired for role in August car crash

Ed d'Alessandro

Ed d'Alessandro

A Marco Island police officer was fired Friday following an investigation of an on-duty vehicle crash with a Marco resident.

Marco Island Police Chief Don Hunter terminated Officer Ed d’Allesandro after an investigation revealed d’Allesandro was driving a police vehicle 80 mph in a 35 mph zone without emergency lights or sirens in August prior to crashing his vehicle with another car, according to a department press release.

“We won’t tolerate that type of conduct,” Hunter said. “I certainly won’t.”

D’Alessandro, who was with the department for 10 years, was found to have shared responsibility for the crash with the other driver, Marco resident Patricia Stoye, according to Marco Police.

Both drivers were sent to the hospital after the crash. Stoye had to be taken by helicopter. Both have has since been released.

This was not d’Alessandro’s first on-duty vehicle mishap, the department reported. He struck another vehicle in 2007 and hit a utility pole wire in 2006. Both caused damage to city vehicles, the release said.

For the August crash, d’Alessandro was cited for careless driving as a result of investigations. Stoye was not cited for traffic violations.

Additionally, the department charged that d’Alessandro violated 10 agency guidelines including “unbecoming conduct” and “willful misuse of police authority.”

Hunter, who is new to the department, said he is still investigating whether this kind of driving is systemic in the department.

“My belief is that we don’t have a general problem with driving vehicles at high speeds, erratically and with no justification,” Hunter said.

Hunter, the former Collier County sheriff, became Marco Island’s police chief in August after former Chief Thom Carr retired in July.

“I’m trying to send a message to our agency officers,” he said of safe driving. “It is critical to me and something I place a high value on.”

D’Allesandro, who was making $68,621 annual salary, has 14 days to appeal the decision.

© 2011 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

woozygirl writes:

Speed kills. Hope others stop driving like maniacs. The need to speed is uncalled for. Chief Hunter this is a good message. He almost killed the other driver.

panola60 writes:

I can't be certain but Ed looks similar to the cop that pulled me over for (supposedly) not coming to a complete stop when actually I had been stopped for about 15 seconds while I had waved another car through in the opposing direction. Hopefully it is.

RayPray writes:

ED will always be able to go back to being the NYPD SWAT team hero he told everybody that he had been.

Then there's his shooting gallery....

marco826 writes:

This Ed character looks like and acted like an arrogant little man with authority, ego and a gun. 85 on Collier? Are you kidding me? What a jerk. Worse, but I won't say it. Move away Mr. Ed. Far far away.

August8 writes:

Geeeeeze ! What a bunch of sadistic charactors ??
Nice guy, very tenured, too bad?
Who was the "Expert" that computed and determined the speed, let's see??

lleezie writes:

He's always been a liar and an arrogant jerk! No loss to us Marco residents. Yeah for Hunter. Now maybe Hunter will bring back Pena!

August8 writes:

Rolomokat ??????
Not good to wish such harm to anyone else, careful, someone may be waiting for you at the door?? Bad Man !!!

RayPray writes:

in response to August8:

Rolomokat ??????

"someone may be waiting for you at the door...Bad Man !!!"

You with your billy club?

FYI August 8 is the MI Keystone Kop with the highest measured IQ.

Sociologists have long observed the line separating the cops from the criminals is very thin.

lleezie writes:

I would like to add a personal note to D'Allesandro, what goes around , comes around. Karma finally got you. And the best part is you did it to yourself. hahahahaha

August8 writes:

happy6 writes:

he was on his way to the 7/11...the first 12 people that got there got free donuts.

RayPray writes:

in response to August8:

lleezie writes:

in response to August8:

August8 The one who is mentally unstable would be you. Not I. How you could even suggest masterbation is sick. Truly sick. You're a pig. I don't need to take a shower and or hide from anyone. I also do not relish in the misfortunes of others, however with that said, if you had read my post you would've seen my joy comes from D'allesandro doing this to himself.No pity from me. He deserved to get fired. Ed is and always has been a liar in my book. He was definately not one of Marco's finest in my opinion as well. Drinking a slurpee while directing traffic is not who I want to be paying a salary to. Not to mention he didn't do his job objectively, fairly or accurately. Now I suggest you go wash your mouth out with soap, you pig.

lleezie writes:

ps. August8
You also need to think about the victim in D'allesandro's reckless , I can do anything , attitude. Or the rest of the victims of his incompetence. I hope that woman he nearly killed is ok and healing. I don't know her but my sympathy is with her, not him!!!!

captnjimbo writes:

Okay...three wrecks...out.

My observations of this police department have been that it is professional and the cops are pretty good people. But 85 MPH lights or no lights is poor judgement.

JohninMarco writes:

in response to captnjimbo:

Okay...three wrecks...out.

You may want to speak to the owner of Joey's Pizza. He may want to enlighten you.

August8 writes:

"lleezie"

You can always tell when you hit the nail on the head, pig is just another ugly word !!!!!
ps Don't forget to scrub that ring around the tub !!!

RayPray writes:

in response to August8:

"lleezie"

ps Don't forget to scrub that ring around the tub !!!

Sancho, how much does the City pay a knuckle-walking thug like you to protect & serve?

lleezie writes:

in response to RayPray:

lol

GAHVH writes:

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. If you are a reflection of how people treat each other on Marco Island, you are not the type of people that make this world a better place to live. Who among you are perfect! You should be showing compassion and concern for a fellow human being and the family. If you are a friend, act like one!! Thank God I am of the opinion that 98% of the world is good, including this officer, and that other 2% (like you) are what make this world difficult to live in. I wish that you are your family never have to go through a difficult time, because you would have to deal with people like yourselves. Let's see what you have to say then.

marco826 writes:

in response to MarcoIslandWoman:

Perfect!

August8 writes:

"lleezie"

It was a automobile accident, they happen? He was responding to a drowning to assist, too fast perhaps, don't know who the speed expert was, he was fired, also injured? The other driver was also culpable, did you notice while jumping for joy?
Where to you derive your enjoyment from??? you know very little of the actual facts, but enjoy and rejoice in the out come?? Someone's livelihood is involved??Having fun Lleezie, oh yea !!
Flat out "WEIRD"

marconed writes:

Usually these guys get only demoted rather than fired,Good job chief now lets cut this force in half.

cid writes:

Easy to say such slanderous things behind a screen name? Well I am proud to say that I am Ed d'Alessandros sister in law. Isn't it interesting that a man who was in June appointed as the PBA director and who has participated in the past in MIPD contract negotiations is "made an example of" during the new sheriff's first week in office. Hmmmmm, there does appear to be a story here. And how about not slanting the truth in the news reports. Surprising how it didn't mention that one of his three incidents occured because a drunk drove him off the road while on duty. Gee, that really seems like his fault now doesn't it.
And how dare you question his tenure in the NYPD. Edward became an orphan at a very early age and was able to retire early from the NYPD and move to Marco to care for his now deceased only two living relatives. Furthermore, Ed left his family days after 9/11 (once air travel was permitted) and joined his fellow officers in the recovery efforts. He had no idea what harm would come to him but he was loyal to his fellow police officers and country. How many of you know how much Ed has done for Charity on Marco? That would be none because he has done so anonymously. I challenge you to find one person in need who Edward has not helped if he is aware of it. My brother would be very angry if he knew I was wasting my time responding to such slanderous gibberish. I am doing so for only one reason. You made my neice cry. Are you that hard up for things to do in your life that this is what you consider to be making a positive contribution to society. In our family Ed d'Alessandro is a hero for all he has done and will continue to do - Maro Island will be worse off for it. I have wasted enough and will not engage in reciprocal banter. One of your comments is absolutely accurate. What goes round comes around and I hope your child suffers the same hurt that you have slanderously and without merit determined was appropriate adult behavior

August8 writes:

Marco woman?? I would, but it would be a total waste of time with you !!

woozygirl writes:

in response to August8:

"lleezie"

Flat out "WEIRD"

Responding to a drowning? Sorry August you have the wrong info. Sad that he lost his position, but well deserved. Let's move on with officer Ed and start inquiring about the poor old lady that almost lost her life.

mahiman writes:

I just can't believe he was making over $68,000 dollars! We've got a force of 34...what do they do??? Why is the chief and officers making that much money for a cushy job!

August8 writes:

Woozy Girl,
Read the original article, Naples News not mine??

woozygirl writes:

in response to August8:

Woozy Girl,
Read the original article, Naples News not mine??

Naples news needs to ask again and confirm it. There is no justification for his actions. He messed up big time!

kevdiaz69 writes:

AUGUST8.....IS THAT YOU ED? GONNA MISS YA

August8 writes:

"Woozyhead"

Where do you get your facts?? Missery adores a little company, find some friends Mrs.Diaz.
Perhaps he did mess up, but terminated, if he were any other officer at MIPD would it have been the same result, that's the question that comes to mind??

captnjimbo writes:

Let's see...two miles distance at 80mph would take about one and a half minutes. At 50mph about 2 and a half minutes...a fifty seconds difference. At 80mph he did not get there at all, almost killed an innocent and destroyed two cars.

kevdiaz69 writes:

Don Hunter trimming the fat.......now lets get the steriod junky off the force.

August8 writes:

Cap jimbo
skids, surface, friction and impact data determine speed, takes an expert to recreate and arrive at definitive and proveable speed.
Termination, no estimates will hold up unless it is in the drivers statement??

MarcoMikeS writes:

This is America isn't it? Where we believe in Due process!

Everything I have read has been one side of the story.

This man has a chance to tell his side of this accident. Why don't you give him the benefit of the doubt? Innocent until proven guilty. I believe the man has the right to appeal.

Sounds like Hunter has made a case...On the surface, hard to justify that rate of speed on Collier blvd. Regardless..No one can actually believe this man would purposely ram his car into hers! That would be evil.... I know Ed, He is not evil. He is a good Father, good husband and a good officer. He gives freely of his time and talents to local charitable organizations, where I know him.

To seek pleasure in the misfortune of others – That’s evil!

I wonder how many of these hate filled statements are from the unfortunate few who were cited for some offense by Officer Ed. And of course you were all innocent!

cid writes:

in response to MarcoMikeS:

This is America isn't it? Where we believe in Due process!

Everything I have read has been one side of the story.

To seek pleasure in the misfortune of others – That’s evil!

Finally, someone of sound mind and body lives on Marco

mahiman writes:

These officers all come to Marco to have a cushy retiree job and make big bucks. Reduce the force, reduce the pay. We don't have the money for this large of a force and their current salaries!

RayPray writes:

in response to cid:

Finally, someone of sound mind and body lives on Marco

That you Ed?

cid writes:

Oh please! Crawl back under your rock - you couldn't hold a candle to Ed if you tried - Jealous??

cid writes:

in response to rolomokat:

Is that the best you can do? Really????? You are apparently quite dumb. Missed the point smart boy!

cid writes:

Ha! Ha! you're so funny....How long did it take you to come up with that one. Third grade reading level huh? Go get your kicks somewhere else - I am done with you.

woozygirl writes:

in response to August8:

"Woozyhead"

Augass the name is woozygirl lets not start something over a comment on here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

MarcoIsland34145 writes:

"Rumor on Marco has it that D’Alessandro had no lights/siren on and was going almost 80MPH down Collier Blvd."-Blog post,August,2011

"Marco Island Police Chief Don Hunter terminated Officer Ed d’Allesandro after an investigation revealed d’Allesandro was driving a police vehicle 80 mph in a 35 mph zone without emergency lights or sirens"-Dept. Press Release,October,2011.

Let us all hope that the official investigation was something more than being based on rumor or speculation.

I cannot imagine taking joy from another persons mishap. To openly celebrate on here the firing of a Police Officer with a combined 27 years experience is not something that should be celebrated. It is a sad day for us all who live here to loose an officer with that kind of experience.That is something that can never be duplicated.

As for the personal attacks against the officer all I can say is that when a person stoops so low as to attack a person for the way he looks or the way he talks or even the way he walks tells me that you have already lost your argument before it has even started.

I am confident that this officer will get his chance to show his side of the story on appeal. For the sake of this community let us all hope that there is a positive outcome to this and Officer Ed is fully reinstated.For now the Island is a little less safer.

Ronnie DeAngelis
Marco Island,Florida

RayPray writes:

in response to MarcoIsland34145:

Ronnie DeAngelis
Marco Island,Florida

"loose an officer with that kind of experience."

What experience?

Waving cars by while sucking on a slurpee?

We are told that this guy almost won the Congressional Medal of Honor.

But where is the evidence for any of this?

He told me he was some kind of NYPD super SWAT hero in Harlem. He sold that same story to the Coastal Breeze in a profile last year.

But since nothing is fact checked here, he could claim to have taken out bin Laden for the Navy Seals and it would be printed.

In the NYPD, keep your nose clean for 20 years, you get a great pension along with more benefits from exploiting the 'Heart Bill'.

So, whenever a cop is separated from the NYPD before making this 20 years, you have to ask why?

Of his heroic deeds, all we know for sure is he ran a shooting gallery on the side while making big bucks from the City, was a union official, and was always given assignments that didn't require much movement.

RayPray writes:

in response to GorchFock:

Klaus, islandIQ78 is no loss but do you know where klaubermannnn is hiding?

26yearsonmarco writes:

Two Questions:

Is he on a full pension from NYPD??, and now earning $68K here on Marco with another pending pension??

There are thousands of "Double Dippers" here in Florida, in all departments, who are preventing new potential employees from getting jobs.

If we ever hope to overcome the unemployment problem in this Country, this practice must stop.

woozygirl writes:

in response to 26yearsonmarco:

Two Questions:

Just to clarify.
Is he on a full pension from NYPD? Probably Yes.
Was he earning a salary here?
Did he contribute to his pension in NYPD and is now entitled to collect?
Was he entitled to pay here for his service?
Double Dipping simply means continuing to work after retiring. Sorry but with all due respect, on this subject, I can't agree.

26yearsonmarco writes:

in response to woozygirl:

Just to clarify.
Is he on a full pension from NYPD? Probably Yes.
Was he earning a salary here?
Did he contribute to his pension in NYPD and is now entitled to collect?
Was he entitled to pay here for his service?

I'm not blaming the person who takes advantage of the system that allows this sort of thing, but rather the system that allows it.

I'm sure most people are not aware of the fact the City of New York ended this parctice years ago, and had to settle with over one thousand Union Civil Servants to the tune of $500K each.

cid writes:

in response to MarcoIsland34145:

Ronnie DeAngelis
Marco Island,Florida

Thsnk you very much.

RayPray writes:

in response to GorchFock:

Yes, the legendary Sigfried of Marco Island, who, eons past, vanished mysteriously into the foggy deeps of the Everglades....