IMMOKALEE — Competing with the Immokalee Indians at Gary Bates Stadium is always a tall order. Stir in some special ingredients such as district implications, brand-new uniforms and homecoming, and this one wasn’t close.
After an explosive first quarter, the Lely Trojans had no answers for coach Jerrod Ackley’s Indians, who reeled off a 56-13 victory.
“It was a good homecoming. Our kids did a good job of staying focused,” Ackley said. “It is one step closer to where we want to be, but we still have a long way to go.”
With the district opener for both teams in the books, the Indians (5-1, 1-0) and Trojans (1-5, 0-1) will have to see how the three-team Class 5A-District 12 chase ultimately shakes out. Upcoming matchups with Golden Gate will tell the tale. Lely is at Golden Gate on Oct. 21, while Immokalee hosts the Titans on Nov. 4.
Next week, Lely is at home against Gulf Coast while the Indians entertain Cape Coral.
Against Lely, Immokalee demonstrated again its dangerous blend of passing and running. Sophomore D’Ernest Johnson stepped off 161 yards on 13 carries and capped off his night in the fourth quarter with a 16-yard touchdown run.
The Indians made a statement in the district by using their speed. Tshumbi Johnson rushed for 96 yards, including a 66-yard TD burst early in the game. He also passed for 192 yards and three touchdowns to three different receivers: J.C. Jackson, Jummy Victorin and Xavier Richardson.
Ackley praised the work of the Indians’ offensive line.
“Those guys did a great job tonight,” Ackley said. “They get better very week. They are the unsung heroes of our team.”
Immokalee held Lely to just 79 yard rushing. The running clock went into effect late in the third period.
Lely quarterback Karbel Dirogene, showing no signs of a tender knee, was able to complete just 8 of 27 passes for 80 yards. One of his early attempts was picked off by the Indians’ Xavier Griffin and returned 92 yards for a touchdown.
Another bright spot for IHS was place-kicker Jesus Velazco, who made good on all eight of his eight PAT tries.
Ackley was not happy with his team’s penalties again. The Indians were flagged 17 times for 195 yards.
“Those kind of penalties will hurt us in a bigger game,” Ackley said.
IMMOKALEE 56, LELY 13
L 10 3 0 0 — 13
I 21 14 14 7 — 56
I — Griffin 92 interception return (Velazco kick), 10:22
I — Marcellus 41 run (Velazco kick), 8:20
L — Hanscom 2 pass from Dirogene (Sanchez kick), 4:21
L — Sanchez 31 FG, 1:20
I — Johnson 66 run (Velazco kick) 0:47
I — Jackson 52 pass from T. Johnson (Velazco kick), 10:47
I — Victorin 15 pass from T. Johnson (Velazco kick), 5:57
L — Sanchez 32 FG, 1:25
I — T. Johnson 17 run (Velazco kick), 7:23
I — Richardson 30 pass from T. Johnson (Velazco kick), 5:06
I — D. Johnson 16 run (Velazco kick), 5:06
2011 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 6
- Video: Naples triumphant over Barron in Crosstown Showdown
- Video: Quarter 1 - Naples vs. Barron Collier
- Video: Quarter 2 - Naples vs. Barron Collier
- Video: Quarter 3 - Naples vs. Barron Collier
- Video: Quarter 4 - Naples vs. Barron Collier
- Video: Naples vs. Barron: Fans & Bands
- Video: Immokalee runs past Lely
- Video: Charlotte has blowout win over Gulf Coast
- Video: Evangelical Christian beats First Baptist
- Video: Kings conquer Community School
- Video: South Fort Myers defeats Riverdale
- Video: Week 6 - Coach Weber's Preview
- Photos: Barron Collier vs. Naples (Crosstown Showdown)
- Photos: Lely vs. Immokalee
- Photos: St. John Neumann vs. St. Edward's Upper School
- Photos: Community School vs. Southwest Florida Christian
- Photos: Riverdale vs. South Fort Myers
- Your Photos: Naples Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Band Photos
- Your Photos: Naples Band Photos
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast vs. Charlotte
- Prep football: Naples rallies in second half to beat Barron Collier for 13th time
- Prep football: Charlotte makes it look easy in blowout win over Gulf Coast
- Prep football: St. Edward's holds off St. John Neumann
- Prep football: Immokalee runs past Lely in district opener
- Prep football: Evangelical Christian beats First Baptist to stay undefeated
- Prep football: South makes it four straight with win over Riverdale
- Prep football: Kings' late touchdown sinks Community School
- Prep football: Cape Coral outguns Estero in shootout
- Prep football: Friday's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep football: Everything you need to know about Friday night's games
- Prep football: Thursday night's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep football live blog: Chat, scores, photos from Week 6 Thursday & Friday games
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Blog: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Get information about the Crosstown Showdown at naplesnews.com/rivalry
- Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone