Kings conquer Community School
Kings rally from behind.
Week 6: Coach Weber's Preview
John Weber talks Crosstown Showdown.
St. John Neumann at St. Edward’s, 6 p.m.
Evangelical Christian at First Baptist, 7:30 p.m.
Naples at Barron Collier, 7:30 p.m.
Charlotte at Gulf Coast, 7:30 p.m.
Lely at Immokalee, 7:30 p.m.
Cape Coral 44, Estero 42
South Fort Myers 28, Riverdale 18
Southwest Florida Christian 21, Community School 17
* * *
LIVE AUDIO TONIGHT
Evangelical Christian at First Baptist (WSRX FM 89.5 or STREAMING)
Lely at Immokalee (FM 90.5, FM 103.3, FM 107.7)
Naples at Barron Collier (STREAMING)
NAPLES — There are big games, and then there are BIG games.
Tonight would be the latter when Naples High travels to Barron Collier for the Crosstown Showdown.
There has always been something to play for when these teams meet, not the least of which are bragging rights. But with offseason realignment by the FHSAA placing these rivals together in the three-team Class 6A-District 12 (along with Palmetto Ridge), tonight's winner has the inside track for the district championship.
“It's even more important than it could have been before,” Cougars coach Mark Ivey said about the Crosstown Showdown. “If we win Friday night, we get a chance to play for a championship (Nov. 4) against Palmetto Ridge. It's a big game for us. It's for a district championship.”
And, of course, the aforementioned bragging rights. There's also the business of Naples High having won the last 12 in the series.
“The only thing we're concerned about is that (the Golden Eagles) are a good, good football team," Ivey said. "The fact that they've beaten us 12 or however many years in a row doesn't have anything to do with Friday night. We're just going to have to outplay a really good football team with high energy and excellent execution.”
If you plan on going, Barron athletic director Mark Rosenbalm says there will be plenty of general admission tickets available at the gate. A large crowd of up to 5,000 fans is expected.
“This is what high school football is all about,” Naples coach Bill Kramer said. “It's going to be a great environment.”
Check out Adam Fisher's preview story by clicking HERE.
NDN columnist David Moulton had some strong words for Barron Collier leading into the game.
So says Moulton about Naples' winning streak over the Cougars: "You can't go this long without winning the biggest game on your schedule and expect the other guy to still believe it's the biggest game on his schedule, too."
Read the rest of Dave's column by clicking HERE.
Be sure to stay with us at naplesnews.com tonight, as we'll have special halftime commentary via an audio feed from reporters Dave Montrose and Jacob Carpenter. We'll also have video highlights updated at the end of every quarter.
Another game with postseason implications will be going on just up the road in North Naples tonight when powerhouse Evangelical Christian pays a visit to First Baptist. A win tonight over the Sentinels (5-0, 3-0 2A-6) would go a long way in bolstering playoff hopes for the Lions (3-2, 2-2). But First Baptist coach Billy Sparacio is keeping a lid on that kind of talk.
“For us, it’s one play at a time,” Sparacio said. “We have to execute the fundamentals well one play at a time. I know it sounds boring, but we didn’t do that in our two losses.”
Read more from Scott Clair on the game HERE.
Most of the Lee County schools kicked off the Week 6 action Thursday night in deference to today's Yom Kippur holiday. For a complete recap of Thursday night's games, click HERE.
Tonight's schedule has five games on tap, and naplesnews.com will have it all covered from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. Join NDN journalists and area gridiron fans at 7 tonight where I'll be moderating a live chat .
For live scoring updates on the go tonight and PrepZone headlines throughout the week, follow our Twitter feed @NDN_PrepZone. If you're tweeting from the game, don't forget to use the hashtag #prepzone for all of your tweets!
After the final whistle, we'll have complete coverage of all the games, along with video, full photo galleries and fan pics, which you can send to us at participate.naplesnews.com.
* * *
OTHER GAMES TONIGHT
■ REWIND: Click HERE for a complete recap of last week's games.
2011 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 6
- Video: Naples triumphant over Barron in Crosstown Showdown
- Video: Quarter 1 - Naples vs. Barron Collier
- Video: Quarter 2 - Naples vs. Barron Collier
- Video: Quarter 3 - Naples vs. Barron Collier
- Video: Quarter 4 - Naples vs. Barron Collier
- Video: Naples vs. Barron: Fans & Bands
- Video: Immokalee runs past Lely
- Video: Charlotte has blowout win over Gulf Coast
- Video: Evangelical Christian beats First Baptist
- Video: Kings conquer Community School
- Video: South Fort Myers defeats Riverdale
- Video: Week 6 - Coach Weber's Preview
- Photos: Barron Collier vs. Naples (Crosstown Showdown)
- Photos: Lely vs. Immokalee
- Photos: St. John Neumann vs. St. Edward's Upper School
- Photos: Community School vs. Southwest Florida Christian
- Photos: Riverdale vs. South Fort Myers
- Your Photos: Naples Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Band Photos
- Your Photos: Naples Band Photos
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast vs. Charlotte
- Prep football: Naples rallies in second half to beat Barron Collier for 13th time
- Prep football: Charlotte makes it look easy in blowout win over Gulf Coast
- Prep football: St. Edward's holds off St. John Neumann
- Prep football: Immokalee runs past Lely in district opener
- Prep football: Evangelical Christian beats First Baptist to stay undefeated
- Prep football: South makes it four straight with win over Riverdale
- Prep football: Kings' late touchdown sinks Community School
- Prep football: Cape Coral outguns Estero in shootout
- Prep football: Friday's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep football: Everything you need to know about Friday night's games
- Prep football: Thursday night's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep football live blog: Chat, scores, photos from Week 6 Thursday & Friday games
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Blog: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Get information about the Crosstown Showdown at naplesnews.com/rivalry
- Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone