GULF COAST 31, LELY 27
GC 7 7 14 3 — 31
L 13 14 0 0 — 27
L -- Dirogene 46 run (kick failed), 10:48
GC -- Beaubrin 5 pass from Brennan (Rogers kick), 8:39
L -- Dirogene 62 run (Santos kick), 7:16
L -- Dirogene 7 run (kick failed), 11:02
GC -- Cannaday 29 pass from Brennan (Rogers kick), 5:12
L -- Tanner 68 interception return (Smith pass from Dirogene), 1:36
GC -- Beaubrin 52 punt return (Rogers kick), 7:12
GC -- Carter 62 pass from Cannaday (Rogers kick), 3:05
GC -- Rogers 23 FG, 6:06
NAPLES — Charlie Cannaday had been hearing the whispers around school, that his Gulf Coast team's winless start would last the rest of the season.
With a go-ahead touchdown pass late in the third quarter, Cannaday and the Sharks quieted those doubters Friday.
"There were quite a few people that said we wouldn't win a game at all this year," said Cannaday, Gulf Coast's backup quarterback. "We just used it as motivation and this is what happened."
Sparked by a special teams touchdown and Cannaday's takeover of the quarterback job in the second half, Gulf Coast downed host Lely, 31-27.
Cannaday hit A.J. Carter on a 62-yard pass with 3:05 left in the third quarter, putting the Sharks (1-5) ahead 28-27. Ali Rogers added a 23-yard field goal -- her first of the season -- and the Gulf Coast defense held Lely to 92 yards of offense in the second half.
Lely quarterback Karbel Dirogene gashed Gulf Coast in the first quarter, carrying six times for 120 yards, with touchdown rushes of 46 and 62. But the Gulf Coast front seven held steady the rest of the way, limiting Dirogene to 34 yards on 19 rushes the rest of the way.
"They started blitzing a lot more, and we couldn't pick them up on the offensive line or find open receivers downfield," Lely coach Dave Miller said.
With the Gulf Coast defense holding Lely (1-6) scoreless in the second half, Cannaday, a senior, came in after the half to replace sophomore Zimon Brennan. In an up-and-down first half, Brennan was 7-of-16 for 127 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions -- and one of those was a screen pass intercepted and returned 68 yards for a touchdown by Lely's Tyler Tanner that gave the Trojans a 27-14 halftime lead.
Gulf Coast's Rick Beaubrin had a 52-yard punt return to open the third-quarter scoring, then Cannaday found Carter on the Sharks' next drive.
"He gave us a spark with some senior leadership," Gulf Coast coach Andrew Miranti said.
When Cannaday cramped up to start the fourth quarter, Brennan returned and took the Sharks on a 12-play, 79-yard drive capped by Rogers' field goal.
"Zimon's a young kid and we pulled him at halftime, but we told him at some point you're going to have to help this team win," Miranti said. "They really complemented each other tonight."
Cannaday, the starter at the beginning of the season, finished 3-of-6 for 112 yards, while Brennan ended 9-of-22 for 172 yards.
Dirogene went 18-of-30 passing with 152 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions. He scored three times on the ground.
2011 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 7
- Video: Carol City crush Cougars
- Video: Fort Myers defeats SFM
- Video: CSN falls to Moore Haven
- Video: Gulf Coast rallies past Lely
- Video: Titans win battle for 'The Gate'
- Video: Week 7 - Coach Weber's Preview
- Photos: Palmetto Ridge vs. Golden Gate
- Photos: Carol City vs. Barron Collier
- Photos: Gulf Coast vs. Lely
- Photos: South Fort Myers vs. Fort Myers
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Palmetto Ridge Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Band Photos
- Your Photos: Palmetto Ridge Band Photos
- Prep football: Golden Gate blasts Palmetto Ridge in high-scoring Battle for the Gate
- Prep football: Snell, Carol City crush Cougars on homecoming
- Prep football: Gulf Coast rallies past Lely for first win
- Prep football: Immokalee rolls past Cape Coral
- Prep football: Neumann gets back on winning track with blowout of Gateway
- Prep football: CSN brings steady effort but falls to Moore Haven
- Prep football: South's comeback bid at Fort Myers fizzles in overtime
- Prep football: Friday's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep Football Live Blog: Chat, scores, photos from Week 7
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Blog: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Get information about the Crosstown Showdown at naplesnews.com/rivalry
- Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone