Moore Haven at St. John Neumann, 7 p.m.
Lely at Golden Gate, 7 p.m.
Immokalee at Barron Collier
Community School at Seffner Christian
Estero at Cypress Lake
First Baptist at Merritt Island Christian
Gulf Coast at Port Charlotte
Palmetto Ridge at Naples
South Fort Myers at Island Coast
All games 7:30 p.m. unless noted
* * *
LIVE AUDIO TONIGHT
First Baptist at Merritt Island Christian (WSRX FM 89.5 or STREAMING)
Immokalee at Barron Collier (FM 90.5, FM 103.3, FM 107.7)
Moore Haven at St. John Neumann (STREAMING)
NAPLES — Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs.
There are multiple games with big-time postseason implications around the region tonight, but we'll start over at Staver Field where Naples High can clinch its ninth district title in the last 11 years with a win over visiting Palmetto Ridge.
Naples topped Barron Collier in the Crosstown Showdown two weeks ago to take command of Class 6A-District 12. Now the Golden Eagles can seal the deal.
“It’s the biggest game of the year,” Naples coach Bill Kramer said. “(The Bears) know the importance of this game, too. It’s going to be a great night at Staver Field, for sure.”
The Bears, who were blasted 59-21 at Golden Gate last week, are battling some injuries with leading tackler Tim Delaney out for the game. PRHS quarterback J.T. Etnoyer, who missed last week's game with a concussion, will return tonight, but he will be pressed into service at linebacker. Sean Hatch will start under center, but Etnoyer will also see action.
Even at full strength this is a tough draw for the Bears, who are 0-6 all-time against Naples. But PRHS coach Dan Newbrough has been using that fact as motivation.
“It’s something I’ve put in the seniors’ ears,” Newbrough said. “I told them not to end their careers like that. Let’s make sure we can say we’ve beaten them.”
Even if things don't go the Bears' way tonight, all is not lost. Palmetto Ridge could still make the playoffs by beating Barron Collier at home on Nov. 4. And should Palmetto Ridge pull the upset against Naples, the Bears could then win the district title by topping the Cougars.
Read more about this game by clicking HERE.
Another playoff bid could be secured Friday night at Golden Gate High. And what a special moment it would be for the Titans, who are chasing the school's first postseason berth.
A win over Lely tonight wouldn't earn the Titans the 5A-12 title outright. Golden Gate would have to earn that by winning at Immokalee on Nov. 4.
But postseason talk aside, these teams are very familiar with one another. And Lely is used to winning.
“We would like to see our best effort of the season on Friday against Lely,” Golden Gate coach Mike DiGrigoli said. “This will be an emotional game, our kids are friends with the Lely kids, and we have never beaten Lely.”
If Lely wants to continue that trend, the Trojans will have to limit the big play. Lely surrendered seven plays of more than 20 yards and a 52-yard punt return for a touchdown in last week's loss to Gulf Coast.
“If we don’t allow teams to beat us deep, we can compete,” Trojans coach Dave Miller said.
Read more about the game HERE.
And, finally, Immokalee travels to Barron Collier tonight, where the Cougars are mired in a slump. Barron has lost three of its last four, and drawing the Indians this week is no easy assignment.
Immokalee has been steamrolling opponents since suffering a Week 4 loss to Lake Wales, winning its past three games by a combined score of 169-40.
“We just have to play hard,” Immokalee quarterback Tshumbi Johnson said. “We still have some work to do. We can still get better.”
BC hasn't been scoring many points lately, as the Cougars were held to 14 points in their back-to-back losses to Naples and Carol City. Barron coach Mark Ivey knows that his offense is going to have to produce if the Cougars want to win.
“Our offense is going to have to score points,” Ivey said. “I don’t see any way around it. We’re not going to shut (Immokalee) out, we’re not going to hold them out of the end zone. If we do, my gosh, we’ve done something special.”
Read Adam Fisher's take on the game HERE.
Tonight's schedule has nine games on tap, and naplesnews.com will have it all covered from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. Join NDN journalists and area gridiron fans at 7 tonight where I'll be moderating a live chat .
For live scoring updates on the go tonight and PrepZone headlines throughout the week, follow our Twitter feed @NDN_PrepZone. If you're tweeting from the game, don't forget to use the hashtag #prepzone for all of your tweets!
After the final whistle, we'll have complete coverage of all the games, along with video, full photo galleries and fan pics, which you can send to us at participate.naplesnews.com.
* * *
OTHER GAMES TONIGHT
■ REWIND: Click HERE for a complete recap of last week's games.
2011 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 8
- Video: Naples claims 6A-12 title
- Video: Immokalee blows past Barron Collier
- Video: Neumann routs Moore Haven
- Video: SFM knocks off Island Coast
- Video: Golden Gate defeats Lely
- Video: Estero defeats Cypress Lake
- Video: Week 8: Coach Weber's Preview
- Photos: Immokalee vs. Barron Collier
- Photos: Palmetto Ridge vs. Naples
- Photos: Lely vs. Golden Gate
- Photos: South Fort Myers vs. Cape Coral-Island Coast
- Photos: Estero vs. Cypress Lake
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Lely Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Immokalee Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Lely Band Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Band Photos
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Band Photos
- Your Photos: Immokalee Band Photos
- Prep football: Community School pulls out win at Seffner Christian
- Prep football: Estero's Sides passes 6,000-yard mark in Wildcats' win over Cypress Lake
- Prep football: First Baptist routs Merritt Island Christia
- Prep football: Golden Gate defeats Lely, makes playoffs for the first time
- Prep football: BC coach fired up after Immokalee blows away Cougars
- Prep football: Gulf Coast falls short at Port Charlotte
- Prep football: Neumann appears playoff-bound after blanking Moore Haven
- Prep football: Naples claims 6A-12 title in romp over Palmetto Ridge
- Prep football: South Fort Myers knocks off Island Coast
- Prep Football Live Blog: Chat, scores, photos from Week 8
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Blog: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone