Riverdale runs past Lely
Riverdale wins 45-21.
RIVERDALE 45, LELY 21
RD 0 10 14 21 — 45
L 0 7 7 7 — 21
RD — McNulty 51 pass from Colton (Traurig kick), 11:01
RD — Traurig 37 FG, 4:50
L — Antonio 7 pass from Dirogene (Sanchez kick), 0:18
L — Dirogene 6 run (Sanchez kick), 10:00
RD — Sourinha 5 run (Traurig kick), 7:05
RD — Sourinha 1 run (Traurig kick), 5:09.
RD — Greenwell 24 pass from Colton (Traurig kick), 9:48
RD — Colton 37 run (Traurig kick), 9:22
RD — McNulty 73 fumble recovery (Traurig kick), 8:55
L — Alix 70 fumble recovery (Sanchez kick), 6:00
NAPLES — Midway through the third quarter Friday night, Lely High took possession with a lead for the first time.
One play later, a fumble put the ball back in Riverdale’s hands, and it went terribly downhill from there for the Trojans.
Visiting Riverdale scored 35 unanswered points to open a big fourth-quarter lead, running away with a 45-21 season-opening victory.
With a 17-14 lead, Lely recovered a fumble near midfield with 7:45 left in the third quarter. Trojans quarterback Karbel Dirogene’s ensuing fumble gave Riverdale a short field, resulting in the go-ahead touchdown.
Riverdale then scored three touchdowns in 53 seconds early in the final quarter, with two of the scores coming off Lely turnovers.
“You finally get the lead and it all fell apart,” Lely coach Dave Miller said. “We just stopped executing.”
The Raiders didn’t dominate in total yardage, outpacing Lely 356-302. But Riverdale began three touchdown drives in Trojans territory and had a 73-yard fumble recovery for a score to secure the win.
Four Raiders ran for 60 yards or more, paced by Deviaun Diggins’ 85 yards on 13 carries. Quarterback Jeff Colton only completed 3 of 5 passes, but two went for touchdowns.
Lely was paced by Dirogene, who completed 7 of 15 passes for 97 yards. He also ran 16 times for 86 yards. Max Cavaliere carried 15 times for 63 for Lely.
The Trojans kept up in the first half against Riverdale’s powerful rushing attack, limiting the Raiders to 106 yards on the ground. More importantly, only three carries went for more than 10 yards, and none for more than 19.
The Trojans also pushed Riverdale off the field at key times early, stuffing an opening Raiders drive on fourth-and-goal at the 2-yard line. Riverdale went 1-of-3 on third downs in the first half, an emphasis for Miller heading into the season opener.
“We came out ready to play in the third quarter, but it was a change of momentum,” Miller said. “Instead of running with the lead, we let our guard down.”
2011 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 1
- Video: Sharks fall to Crusaders
- Video: Naples High gets win over North Miami
- Video: Riverdale runs past Lely
- Video: Cape Coral-Baker rolls over Estero
- Video: Evangelical Christian jumps on Community School
- Video: Barron Collier blows out Braddock
- Video: Gulf Coast visit New Orleans Hospital
- Video: Gulf Coast arrives in New Orleans
- Video: Coach Weber's Football Preview
- Photos: North Miami vs. Naples
- Photos: Miami-Braddock vs. Barron Collier
- Photos: Gulf Coast vs. New Orleans-Brother Martin
- Photos: Cypress Lake vs. South Fort Myers
- Photos: Lely vs. Riverdale
- Your Photos: Naples, North Miami Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast, Brother Martin Fan Photos
- Your Photos: South Fort Myers, Cypress Lake Fan Photos
- Your Photos: South Fort Myers, Cypress Lake Band Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Fan Photos
- Photos: Gulf Coast football team arrives in New Orleans
- Photos: Gulf Coast football players visit New Orleans Children’s Hospital
- Prep football: Cape Coral-Baker rolls over Estero
- Prep football: Palmetto Ridge overcomes mistakes to defeat Manta Rays
- Prep football: South Fort Myers game vs. Cypress Lake postponed because of weather
- Prep football: Barron Collier unaffected by long delay, blows out Braddock
- Prep football: Golden Gate dominates Port Charlotte
- Prep football: Naples High gets defensive in win over North Miami
- Prep football: Gulf Coast's New Orleans trip ends early with shutout loss
- Prep football: Gulf Coast game in New Orleans being delayed by power outage
- Prep football: Evangelical Christian jumps on Community School early
- Prep football: Special teams haunt First Baptist in loss to Moore Haven
- Prep football: Immokalee rallies past Dade Christian in second half
- Prep football: Riverdale runs past Lely in 2nd half
- Prep football: St. John Neumann handles Bradenton-St. Stephen's
- Friday's scores from around the state of Florida
- BLOG: Chat, scores, photos and more from Week 1
- Gulf Coast football players make new friends in visit to New Orleans Children’s Hospital
- Team-by-team preview stories, videos
- Send us your fan photos
- Podcast – The Huddle
- Blog: The Huddle
- Special Page: Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action. Be a Fan on Facebook
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates