CYPRESS LAKE 15, LELY 7
L 0 0 7 0 — 7
CL 8 0 7 0 — 15
CL — Calhoun 5 run (Kearse run), 3:11
CL — Kearse 26 run (Findley kick), 2:30
L — Jean-Charles 57 pass from Dirogene (Sanchez kick), 1:45
FORT MYERS — A tipped ball in the end zone with less than a minute to play led to the interception that sealed Cypress Lake’s 15-7 victory over visiting Lely on Friday night.
Lely (0-2) had several chances to even the score during a tight game, but penalties and a few bad breaks kept the Trojans’ first win of the season just out of reach.
“Penalities in the red zone … mistakes, it’s obviously really tough,” Trojan coach Dave Miller said. “Still, Cypress Lake is a great team. They have some good running backs. They’re tough.”
The penalty that hurt Lely the most came with less than two minutes to play. Sophomore quarterback Karbel Dirogene tossed a touchdown pass to Jean Jean-Charles, but an illegal man down field penalty negated what could have been the tying score. The Trojans racked up nine penalties for 70 yards, including a roughing the punter call that gave Cypress Lake the ball back at a crucial point in the second half.
The Panthers also struggled with penalties, with 14 flags for 98 yards, a statistic that left coach Mike Thornton less than thrilled about his team’s first win.
“We have a ton of stuff to work on, but right now after this victory is not the time to do that,” Thornton said. “Tomorrow we’ll look at the film and evaluate all our mistakes.”
The first score of the night was set up by special teams play. A 40-yard punt return by freshman Sean Anderson gave Cypress Lake the ball on the Lely 14 midway through the first quarter. Three plays later, junior running back Devon Calhoun ran in a 5-yard score.
Cypress Lake had five more first downs in the first quarter, but wasn’t able to convert.
The Trojans ran with that momentum, taking a 17-play drive down to the Panthers’ 1-yard line. But stout defense up front kept Lely from scoring with the series ending on a goal-line stuff on fourth down.
Panther quarterback Jayron Kearse led all rushers with 130 yards on 23 carries. Dirogene finished 11-of-21 for 167 yards with two interceptions and one touchdown. He also led Lely with 41 rushing yard on 11 carries.
2011 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 2
- Chat Archive: Read comments from online chat about Week 2 football games
- Video: Fort Myers rips up Golden Gate
- Video: Island Coast roll over Estero
- Video: Immokalee beats Naples
- Video: Atmosphere: Barron-Pinecrest Game
- Video: 1st Quarter: Barron Collier vs. Pinecrest
- Video: 2nd Quarter: Barron Collier vs. Pinecrest
- Video: 3rd Quarter: Barron Collier vs. Pinecrest
- Video: 4th Quarter: Barron Collier vs. Pinecrest
- Video: Barron Collier earns victory over Pinecrest
- Video: Cypress Lake beats Lely
- Video: Palmetto Ridge gets revenge against Gulf Coast
- Video: South Fort Myers comes up short
- Video: Barron's Mark Ivey in North Carolina
- Video: Matt Gerhardstein talks North Carolina
- Video: Week 2 - Coach Weber's Preview
- Photos: Naples vs. Immokalee
- Photos: Barron Collier vs. Pinecrest
- Photos: Gulf Coast vs. Palmetto Ridge
- Photos: Cape Coral-Island Coast vs. Estero
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Palmetto Ridge Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Palmetto Ridge Band Photos
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast Band Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Pinecrest Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Estero Band Photos
- Your Photos: Estero Fan Photos
- Photos: Barron Collier-Pinecrest pre-game dinner in N.C.
- Prep football: Immokalee holds firm on home turf in win over Naples
- Prep football: Community School battles in loss to Out-of-Door
- Prep football: South Fort Myers' gamble comes up short against East Lee
- Prep football: Cypress Lake hangs on to beat Lely
- Prep football: FSU recruit Pender, Island Coast roll over Estero
- Prep football: Barron Collier shakes off early deficit to earn victory over Pinecrest
- Prep football: Palmetto Ridge gets a little revenge against Gulf Coast
- Prep football: Fired-up Fort Myers rips up Golden Gate
- Prep football: First Baptist dominates St. Stephen's in second half
- Prep football: Friday's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep Football Week 2: Everything you need to know about tonight's games
- Prep football: Barron Collier readies for first visit to North Carolina
- Send us your fan photos
- Podcast – The Huddle
- Blog: The Huddle
- Special Page: Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action. Be a Fan on Facebook
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates