Week 3: Coach Weber's Preview
John Weber talks prep football.
Golden Gate at Tampa-Berkeley Prep, 7 p.m.
St. John Neumann at Community School, 7 p.m.
Barron Collier at East Lee County
Estero at North Fort Myers
Tavernier-Coral Shores at First Baptist
Immokalee at Palmetto Ridge
Cape Coral at Lely
Bishop Verot at Naples
Lehigh at South Fort Myers
All games 7:30 p.m. unless noted
* * *
LIVE AUDIO TONIGHT
Bishop Verot at Naples (STREAMING)
Cape Coral at Lely (WSRX FM 89.5 or STREAMING)
Lehigh at South Fort Myers (STREAMING)
NAPLES — It's Week 3 of high school football, Southwest Florida, and what have we learned so far?
Well, we've certainly figured out that Immokalee High is for real this year, after the Indians' emotional 39-28 victory over rival Naples High.
But might Palmetto Ridge be sneaking up on the area's elite? The Bears are 2-0 with wins over Lemon Bay and Gulf Coast and are playing with plenty of confidence. That self-assurance hasn't gone unnoticed by Immokalee coach Jerrod Ackley, whose 2-0 Indians look to avenge last year's 45-13 loss tonight at Palmetto Ridge.
“You get a little success and you have more confidence and that’s what they have compared to last season,” Ackley said.
The Bears have been generating excitement in Golden Gate Estates, and a win over such a powerful Immokalee team could propel Palmetto Ridge to a special season.
“There’s a little buzz around here, and we’re off to a good start and the kids are feeding off of it,” Palmetto Ridge coach Dan Newbrough said. “We’re going to see a good football team this week and I think we’re ready.”
Read Woody Wommack's take on the game HERE.
In North Naples, a fierce local rivalry moves to the gridiron when St. John Neumann travels to Community School. This will be the first time these teams have met as members of Class 2A-District 6. CSN's varsity team scored a lopsided 48-0 win over Neumann's JV squad last year. Tonight's game figures to be a much different matchup.
“This is one of those games that we might be favored because of our experience, but they are not a team that we will overlook for several reasons,” SJN coach Steve Howey said. “This is a district game, many of our players know their players, our players remember the beating their varsity gave to our JV team last year and this is a game that SJN has been looking forward to even before they started football at CSN.”
Though the rivalry fire definitely burns, Community School is hoping to show some improvement after falling to 0-2 with a 28-12 loss at Sarasota-Out-of-Door Academy.
“We’re young. We just have to keep getting better,” CSN coach Damon Jones said. “We have to keep it simple. We have to work on fundamentals and technique. I’m looking forward to the game. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun.”
Check out Tom Rife's preview story HERE.
Tonight's schedule has nine games on tap, and naplesnews.com will have it all covered from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. Join NDN journalists and area gridiron fans at 7 tonight where I'll be moderating a live chat .
For live scoring updates on the go tonight and PrepZone headlines throughout the week, follow our Twitter feed @NDN_PrepZone. If you're tweeting from the game, don't forget to use the hashtag #prepzone for all of your tweets!
After the final whistle, we'll have complete coverage of all the games, along with full photo galleries and fan pics, which you can send to us at participate.naplesnews.com.
* * *
OTHER GAMES TONIGHT
■ REWIND: Click HERE for a complete recap of last week's games.
2011 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 3
- Video: Barron Collier pulls away from East Lee
- Video: Naples puts brakes on Bishop Verot
- Video: Immokalee dominates Palmetto Ridge
- Video: Estero routs North Fort Myers
- Video: South Fort Myers ekes out win
- Video: Lely shocks Cape Coral
- Video: Coach Weber's Preview
- Photos: Bishop Verot vs. Naples
- Photos: Barron Collier vs. East Lee County
- Photos: Immokalee vs. Palmetto Ridge
- Photos: St. John Neumann vs. Community School
- Photos: Lehigh vs. South Fort Myers
- Your Photos: Naples Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Bishop Verot Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Naples Band Photos
- Your Photos: Bishop Verot Band Photos
- Your Photos: Community School, St. John Neumann Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Community School, St. John Neumann Band Photos
- Prep football: South Fort Myers ekes out win over Lehigh
- Prep football: Barron Collier pulls away from East Lee late
- Prep football: Bragging rights go to Community School with win over Neumann
- Prep football: Naples High defense puts brakes on Bishop Verot
- Prep football: Immokalee routs Palmetto Ridge
- Prep football: Lely rallies late to shock Cape Coral
- Prep football: Estero roars back to life blowout win over North Fort Myers
- Prep football: First Baptist crushes Coral Shores to win homecoming game
- Prep football: Tampa-Berkeley Prep rolls over Golden Gate
- Prep football: Friday's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep Football Blog: Chat, scores, photos from Week 3 action
- Prep Football Week 3: Everything you need to know about tonight's games
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Blog: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Special Page: Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone