1st Half: Barron Collier vs. Lely
Cougars rally to defeat Trojans.
2nd Half: Barron Collier vs. Lely
Cougars rally to defeat Trojans.
Halftime of Barron Collier-Lely game
Bands perform during halftime.
NAPLES — Barron Collier escaped with a 22-21 win at Lely on Friday night.
Barely a minute after Barron scored on a safety on a Lely botched punt snap, Cougars quarterback Justin Black hit Chase Kerlek for a 16-yard touchdown with 1 minute, 33 seconds remaining, and Juan Tamayo's extra point provided the margin of victory.
It was the second hook-up of the evening between Black and Kerlek, who combined on a 36-yard scoring pass minutes into the third quarter.
The Trojans seemed to have the game in hand on numerous occasions, but they were done in by their own foibles, losing four of seven fumbles.
For the most part, a much-maligned Lely defense was able to shut down Barron and create its own turnovers, one a spectacular 42-yard fumble return by linebacker Colson Nicholas that gave the Trojans a 21-13 lead early in the fourth quarter.
After the game, though his team might have been out-played, Cougars coach Mark Ivey knew they weren’t out-worked.
“The biggest difference tonight was our kids worked hard,” said Ivey, whose team improved to 4-1 and faces Naples in the Crosstown Showdown at home next week. “We still made mistakes, but they fought hard. As long as they play like that, I’ll go to war with them every week.”
The Trojans (1-4) relied on explosive plays to jump out to a 14-0 lead midway through the second quarter. DeWarren Mobley got the scoring started when he dashed down the middle for a 67-yard touchdown run five minutes into the game.
Lely struck again with a big play when quarterback Karbel Dirogene sprinted untouched down the left sideline to score from 46 yards away.
The Trojans defense pounded Black and his teammates in the first half, but it was the Lely special teams which allowed the Cougars back in the game.
On two consecutive possessions late in the second quarter, Lely stymied the Barron offense, forcing it to punt. But on each occasion, a Trojans returner fumbled the catch. The first miscue gave Barron possession on the Lely 40-yard line.
The Cougars were able to recover the second on the Lely 14-yard line, seconds before the half. With no time left in the second quarter, Black powered over from the 2-yard line for Barron’s fist score.
“We knew (Barron) wasn’t going to give up,” Lely coach Dave Miller said. “Turnovers and field possession were the difference. You have to tip your hat to Barron. They never gave up.”
Black led the Cougars with 115 yards on 13-of-25 passing and two touchdowns. Dirogene and Mobley paced the Trojans on the ground with 118 and 106 yards, respectively.
Both schools begin district play next week. The Trojans travel to Immokalee in a Class5A-District 12 battle. Barron hosts Naples to start Class 6A-District 12 action.
BARRON COLLIER 22, LELY 21
BC 0 7 6 9 -- 22
L 7 7 0 7-- 21
L -- Mobley 67 run (Sanchez kick) 7:47
L -- Dirogene 46 run (Sanchez kick) 5:30
BC -- Black 2 run (Tamayo kick) 0:00
BC -- Kerlek 36 pass from Black (kick failed) 6:00
L -- Nicholas 42 fumble return (Sanchez kick) 9:48
BC -- Safety 2:50
BC -- Kerlek 16 pass from Black (Tamayo kick) 1:33
2011 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 5
- Video: Naples takes care of business at Golden Gate
- Video: 1st Half - Barron Collier vs. Lely
- Video: 2nd Half - Barron Collier vs. Lely
- Video: Halftime of Barron Collier-Lely game
- Video: Immokalee routs Gulf Coast
- Video: South Fort Myers wears down North
- Video: Neumann defeats First Baptist
- Video: Week 5 - Coach Weber's Preview
- Photos: Naples vs. Golden Gate
- Photos: Barron Collier vs. Lely
- Photos: Immokalee vs. Gulf Coast
- Photos: Palmetto Ridge at Estero
- Photos: First Baptist vs. St. John Neumann
- Your Photos: Naples Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Fan Photos
- Your Photos: St. John Neumann Fans & Homecoming
- Your Photos: Naples Band Photos
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Band Photos
- Your Photos: Lely Band Photos
- Your Photos: Estero Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Palmetto Ridge Fan Photos
- Your Photos: Palmetto Ridge Band Photos
- Your Photos: Estero Band Photos
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Band Photos
- Prep Football Blog: Chat, scores, photos and stories from Week 5
- Prep football: Estero outlasts Palmetto Ridge to claim 3rd straight win
- Prep football: Barron Collier rallies late to edge Lely
- Prep football: Neumann roars back in 4th for crucial district win over First Baptist
- Prep football: Naples rolls past Golden Gate
- Prep football: Immokalee makes quick work of Gulf Coast
- Prep football: South Fort Myers wears down North in second half
- Prep football: Community School dominates All Saints Academy
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Blog: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Special Page: Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone