Death of bald eagle on Marco Island ‘like losing a child,’ sanctuary founder says

Photo courtesy of John Parravani
A pair of juvenile Bald Eagles sit in their nest located on Marco Island.  One of the juveniles was found on the ground dead on Friday.

Photo courtesy of John Parravani A pair of juvenile Bald Eagles sit in their nest located on Marco Island. One of the juveniles was found on the ground dead on Friday.

When Marco Islander Bob Karas’ morning bicycle ride takes him past the nesting pair of bald eagles, he always makes a point of looking for them.

On Friday morning, though, his attention was drawn to a lump on the sidewalk below high power lines, he said.

“I said that can’t be an eagle, but unfortunately it was,” Karas said.

The dead juvenile bald eagle was one of two young eagles that islanders had been keeping an excited eye on as the birds began to learn to fly and hunt from their home base in an Australian pine tree along Tigertail Court.

The nest is on land, known as Tract K, that the Marco Eagle Sanctuary Foundation leases from the Collier County School District to protect the eagle nest.

“When you lose one, it’s like losing a child,” said the foundation’s Chairman Carl Way. “Everybody will be watching this one (remaining juvenile) much closer.”

Way surmised the bald eagle had flown into the power lines and fell immediately to the ground. The eaglet was seen flying over a canal toward the nest tree just minutes before Karas found it, according to a statement from the Foundation.

Volunteers loaded the dead eagle into a crate and delivered it to the wildlife rehabilitation center at the Conservancy of Southwest Florida.

Clinic workers could not feel any broken bones on the eagle, which had blood in its mouth, wildlife rehabilitation specialist Jonee Miller said Friday afternoon.

The Conservancy reported the dead eagle to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and was awaiting further direction from the agencies late Friday afternoon.

The eagle could be sent to the Fish and Wildlife Service’s National Eagle Repository near Denver, which provides eagles for Native American religious ceremonies.

Bald eagles were taken off the federal list of endangered species in 2007 but still are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.

Fish and Wildlife Service law enforcement will investigate the eagle’s death and determine what should happen with the eagle, spokesman Ken Warren said.

“That’s pretty standard,” Warren said.

Way said that about 40 percent of the fledglings do not survive the first year. That such an incident is not unusual.

The juvenile eagles, young adults, will come back to the nest. If the adult female and male eagle continues nesting the juveniles or young adults will not use the nest. The juvenile eagles will come back to what had been their nest if the adults vacate the nest.

He said the nest is protected for six years after the adults, who currently reside, vacate the nest. Then birds who were born there will often make it their home.

The Eagle Sanctuary provides educational information at the site. There are 50 members in the foundation. There have already been more than 1,00 visitors this year, Way said.

To support the foundation there will be a “Nest Fest” at Bistro Soleil at the Olde Marco Inn, beginning at 6:30 p.m. on April 19 on Marco Island.

There will be a Faux Feather Contest in honor of the bald eagles. Feather attire or accessories encouraged, but not required.

Dinner includes either a New York strip steak or Pork Wellington and cocktails (well drinks) at a happy hour prices. There also will be a 50-50 raffle.

Tickets, $55 each, can be purchased at the Marco Island Area Chamber of Commerce and Bistro Soleil, or by check payable to MESF, P.O. Box 983, Marco Island, FL 34146 and also be credit card on the foundation’s secure website, www.marcoeaglesanctuaryfoundation.org. For more information call 239-394-9285.

Writers Roger LaLonde and Bill Green contributed to the story.

© 2012 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

bondie writes:

Instead of sending his body to the Indians, could we not send his body to a taxidermist and have him forever on display for all to see and remember?

We sometimes forget how precious life is, until we are reminded when an eaglet is lost. If anyone cares about eaglets on Marco Island look up because its now more precious.

MarcoDefender writes:

This is a tragedy, no doubt. At the same time, the comment by the founder about the death of this eagle is pathetic and heartless. To equate the loss of an animal in any way, with a human being, much less a child, is harsh and grotesque. I support the efforts of conservation, but under a premise where it's acceptable to equate the life of an animal to a human child, the line must be drawn.

Respected and a strong symbol of freedom and our country, this is an eagle. Despite the tragic death, the symbolic appreciation carries on. To equate an animal to a child, a child who was born to and physically nurtured and raised by birth parents, is a world away from comparison. The supposed leader of this organization needs to get some perspective. This appears to be a pathetic attempt to sensationalize the story to aid in fundraising.

You want to do some real good in the community, create an Eagle Sanctuary Foundation Scholarship, which can be offered to promote conservancy by young students, who truly represent the future. While you do that, teach them about humility, discretion and respect for human life. Please allow Carl Way to sit in on that lesson. I would hope he may learn a thing or two.

Is_It_True_Partially_True_Or_Not_True (Inactive) writes:

Marco Defender, it was an expression of loss by a person who was emotionally attached to the poor creature. Can not a person express his emotion in a figure of speach without being ripped apart by those who do not care about the pain that someone else may feel beacuse they may not feel the same pain?

Very sad that this is the kind of issue some feel the need to attack.

RayPray writes:

"When you lose one, it’s like losing a child"

Why no such delicate sympathies when the City decided to exterminate all the Muscovy ducks living around Mackerel Park?

Northerner writes:

To Mr. Way,I'm so sorry for the loss of your child... or should I say everyones child. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. I and many others are so saddened by the loss of this beautiful babe.

...and to you MarcoDefender, you are a callous, self rightous piece of dirt!!!!Why don't you practice what you preach and teach yourself a little about humilty,discretion, freedom and respect for ALL life. How dare you sit there with your holier than thou attitude and pretend to care about the conservation of nature. If I remember correctly, you and your buddy Jane had your bulldozers warmed up and ready to destroy this beautiful sanctuary for your own personal agenda. Why don't you go crawl in a turtle hole off of San Marco rd...there are plenty of vacant ones. Oh and by the way, I have 3 children, 2 dogs, a cat.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

It has been my experience, in life, that people who dislike or do not properly care for God's creatures on this earth, can not in anyway be trusted. They tend to be cold hearted and completely self centered.

deltarome writes:

This is all a cover story for keeping the MIA out of "their" neighborhood.

1Paradiselost writes:

So we have a story in the paper. The story seems harmless enough; just information that may or may not be of importance to you. You either have empathy for the feelings of others, or you don’t. What a surprise that so many of you have decided that this story would be such a great launch pad for your judgmental reflections! I guess no one can express his/her opinion any more without saying something nasty about someone else. I believe they have commercials about that now, trying to teach kids not to cyber-bully. The commercial states that if you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, then why write it?

skulljockey writes:

Wow, like losing a child?!?! It's a bird! Why the emotion over a bird? It's amazing to me that people can become so emotionally involved over a very insignificant animal. Where's the empathy over the species that are devoured by that bird? How do these people choose what species they will endear? All of this emotion over a bird, but these same people will defend their "right" to kill a baby human.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

What an example some people are making for their own schooL age children. It is ok to lie, exagerate and make claims that do not exist or cyber bully. It is ok to ignore the feelings of others. It is ok to cry over spilled milk, as though that does any good. It is ok to hurt small animals in various ways.

AS LONG AS SOME PEOPLE FEEL THAT THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL DESIRES, THIS WILL CONTINUE. HOW TOTALLY SAD.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

Skulljockey,

How nice you "know" how what other people will defend. Could you please advise us how you obtained such a wonderful ability?

dc5799 writes:

in response to RayPray:

"When you lose one, it’s like losing a child"

And exterminate they did,at forty bucks each.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to skulljockey:

Jockey - Well put. Perspective is definitely necessary in this situation. Odd that this common sense view isn't that common.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Northerner:

Northerner - Thanks for your input. I do care about conservation, but it starts with human rights first, animals second. Do you really feel differently? If you had to choose, wouldn't you attend to your child first, over your 2 dogs and a cat. I thought so. That's for making my point.

Your history is accurate, however, this isn't about MIA, this is about perspective and consideration for those that can do the most good for this island and community. It's not my personal agenda, it's the agenda of the school board, city and dedicated people who know that human contributions can far exceed that of local animal life.

Again, thanks for your input.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to 1Paradiselost:

Paradise - Point taken, however, my comments are directed toward Carl Way's behavior, not him. In my view, he made poor choices here, but he has a right to share them.

At the same time, so do others, even if we disagree. You can agree with me or not, you have that right. However, to allow the slant of this story to go unanswered, would not be democratic or american. I stand behind my comments on expressing my feelings on the statements in the story. His statement was harsh and inappropriate. I'm hopeful that he would consider his choice of words more carefully in the future. After all, with great power, comes great responsibility.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

in response to MarcoDefender:

Well, that choice of words goes for all involved. You yourself called people who lived near Tract K. idiots on this very blog site. Since I am one of those people, that was very hurtful to me and my family.

Before you comment on other's comments I would like an apologize from you for calling me and my wonderful neighbors idiots especially since you never knew who we were in the first place.

Northerner writes:

MarcoDefender,
Your passive-aggressive attitude is insulting as is your distortion of our words. If I, Mr. Way or Joe Schmo want to use the analogy "like losing a child" to express immense grief for the loss of something...anything, that is our right. It does not make us "harsh and inappropriate" people. It does not mean we put animals before people. Go eat your sour grapes. I'm done with you.

happy6 writes:

let me assure all of you that IT IS NOT like losing a child.

WizeOlMarco writes:

This is all a cover story for keeping the MIA out of "their" neighborhood...

I'm unfamiliar with something...What is meant by '...MIA...'? Marco Island Association; if correct, what is that organization?

Brisla writes:

10 trillion trees in the 10,000 islands, and the "sanctuary" is located by power lines. Brilliant.

deltarome writes:

Wize, MIA is all about the Marco Island Academy, private high school. The Tract K land was deeded by island developers for educational purposes, aka, school. When MIA was looking for a site, Tract K neighbors fought hard to keep the high school kids away from "their" neighbor hood. They came up with the eagle nest as a reason to keep school away.

jmar2 writes:

So, did anyone get roast duck from the pond?

WizeOlMarco writes:

deltarome Thanks for the explaning 'MIA'; I recall past private school-Tract K issue/discussions.

Brisla The eagles picked the location, then the site was declared a santuary, reordering the facts to suit an attitude serves no purpose.

captnjimbo writes:

With a few days to think about this, perhaps we should discontinue electricity to Marco Island so we can make the sanctuary safer for eaglets.

WizeOlMarco writes:

Perhaps Marco Island was better without electricity. A snapshot of the Island's pre-bulldozer condition.

Northerner writes:

WizeOlMarco,
You certainly are wise and brilliant and funny! Thanks for the link to the past, it's a keeper.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

in response to Northerner:

WizeOlMarco,

Northerner, I know that levity helps out at times, but I was not laughing when MarcoDefender called us idiots, nor was I impressed by her followers calling us "soon to be dead" residents. She has no idea what harm she caused many people and she never, no never commenteted on those very cruel comments. I have said enough because this brings back painful memories of what went on last year.

Northerner writes:

Zookeeper,
I am on your side and have always been on your side. I just thought it was brilliant how Wize put deltarome and captnimbo in their places. I was laughing at the fact that he shut them up.
I sincerely apologize for the pain I have caused you.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot writes:

I must agree with Shadow. You cannot compare this to losing a child.

The Eagle is a beautiful majestic creature and it is a shame to see a dead one. Nature is cruel at times.

Like the time I was reeling in this huge permit! And from out of nowhere this huge shark came up and bit my beautiful, soon to be tasty dinner, in half! I was sad.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot writes:

in response to GorchFock:

Anyone that compares the loss of a bird to that of losing a child is either on drugs or mentally disturbed. Comparing it to the loss of the family dog? Maybe, but even that is a stretch.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

I would still trust someone who respects animal life over those who deliberately set out to hurt anyone that stands in their way.

Once again the name calling and internet bullying has reared its ugly head. I sincerely hope that youngsters are not reading these blogs and taking to the same behavior since adults are doing it.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Our_world_according_to_zookeeper:

Zoo - What name calling are you referring to? Are you still hung up on my comment from a year ago? If so, let me apologize.

I'm sorry that so many people (sanctuary supporters) behaved selfishly to eliminate a school board owned and sanctioned plot of land, intended for school use, under the guise of a bird protected zone, in an area of the state where there are thousands of square miles of bird habitat for our eagles. What a sham. You should be ashamed of yourself for supporting that facade organization. It's a good illustration of what money will buy.

So again, I'm sorry...about your poor choice in supporting wild birds, in lieu of local community student children, who represent one of the top 6% performing middle schools in the entire state of Florida. Get a clue, Zoo.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Northerner:

MarcoDefender,

North - I'm not trying to insult you, and they are your words, they don't require distortion. They are poor on based on their merit. You have a viewpoint and so do I. The only think immense here is the travesty of the Sanctuary's behavior, in making a closed door deal with the school board to make Tract K a non-solution for the MIA High School (which is a public school - contrary to the content in other blog postings). That behavior and action was immense. They did whatever they had to do. It's really shameful behavior.

There we go, another example of harsh and inappropriate behavior from the same source. I'm starting to see a trend. It's concerning. I worry for our future, but hey, at least we can enjoy some eagle watching nearby. Just don't park too long near Tract K, the local residents will get angry. How interesting.

I'm sorry you're done with me. I was hoping we could have some more discussion here. I'm sure there are aspects of this whole mess that you are very unaware of, that you might find disturbing, just as I did. It's amazing what $30,000 can buy nowadays.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Our_world_according_to_zookeeper:

Zoo - Yes, very sad. By the way, a great description of Carl Way and Track T neighbors who support the Sanctuary. Talk about personal and selfish interest.

As for me, the extent of my personal interest is to have seen Tract K used what it was intended for, by the Mackle organization, when they donated the land to Collier Country School District. There was a plan to address the eagle protection. Funny how that was never in the news. It could have been a win-win situation.

As for cyber bullying, I don't see where the dots are connecting on this. Please, educate me. I'm expressing my opinion here, just as many others are doing. I'm open to your inputs.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

marcodefender.

As empty an apology as could be sent ALONG WITH JUST ANOTHER MEANINGLESS RANT JUSTIFYING YOUR LACK OF FEELINGS FOR OTHER PEOPLE. Now you have your follower coming in again with his name calling and you still have nothing to say about that, as in the past. You have to live with yourself.

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Our_world_according_to_zookeeper:

marcodefender.

Zoo - I'm good and can live with myself just fine. I have very little to complain about, here in beautiful SW Florida & MI. Of course, as with others in this blog tool, I've stated my views on this particular situation. It's a crying shame how it worked out, but what can you do. Corruption is everywhere.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

My goodness, MarcoDefender, I am surprised how aware of corruption that you are. I guess it is from personal experience, since you delare it to be everywhere.

MarcoDefender writes:

Zoo - If you read the news, it's easy to see how prevalent it is. Now we apparently have US Secret Service agents conducting themselves in a corrupt manner. Here on Marco, it's non for profit leaders conspiring with county officials. I don't declare it, it just is. No declaration needed.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

Marco Defender, Now it's a conspiracy?

It is really a shame when someone blames everyone else for their unproductive efforts. Sometimes wisdom comes with experience. Hopefully!

happy6 writes:

in response to Our_world_according_to_zookeeper:

zoo...are you nuts or just a little imbalanced from huggin those trees.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

Shadow,
Thank you for "proving and justifying" what was posted!

MarcoDefender writes:

in response to Our_world_according_to_zookeeper:

Marco Defender, Now it's a conspiracy?

Zoo -the MIAHS is here, ergo, efforts were completely productive. But we agree, shameful behaviors remain. There's absolutely nothing wise or noble about corruptive behavior. Proof that age and wisdom do not have an equal relationship to each other.

Our_world_according_to_zookeeper (Inactive) writes:

MarcoDefender,

I, somewhat, agree with your last statement, however, apologies and consideration should be given to everyone, no matter what their age or circumstance.....and some, sincere, apologies have yet to be put forth.

cammichaels writes:

“Animal lovers are a special breed of humans, generous of spirit, full of empathy, perhaps a little prone to sentimentality, and with hearts as big as a cloudless sky”
― John Grogan

...and thank you God for Your animal lovers, true caretakers of the Earth

20_Days writes:

“If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.”—Francis of Assisi

AMEN