TECO trains Naples-area firefighters to deal with natural gas leaks

Lexey Swall/Staff 
 City of Naples Firefighters place a clamp on a pipe to stop a simulated gas leak during training for emergency response to natural gas leaks on Tuesday at the Fire-Rescue Training Center on Tenth Street N. in Naples. The training was provided by TECO Peoples Gas to give the firefighters practical, hands-on training to understand the properties and characteristics of natural gas and how to deal with in-field emergencies.

Photo by LEXEY SWALL, Naples Daily News // Buy this photo

Lexey Swall/Staff City of Naples Firefighters place a clamp on a pipe to stop a simulated gas leak during training for emergency response to natural gas leaks on Tuesday at the Fire-Rescue Training Center on Tenth Street N. in Naples. The training was provided by TECO Peoples Gas to give the firefighters practical, hands-on training to understand the properties and characteristics of natural gas and how to deal with in-field emergencies.

— Naples city crews have responded to a handful of natural gas leaks since a propane explosion blew out windows and doors at Mangrove Cafe on Fifth Avenue South in January 2011.

The increase in these calls led to formal training this month with TECO Peoples Gas for Naples firefighters who now are better prepared to respond to leaks.

"We really had no training specifically dealing with natural gas before," Naples Fire Chief Steve McInerny said. "So this was really in-depth, taste, touch, smell."

Twenty-seven firefighters, including North Naples and East Naples fire departments, were involved in the training over three days to locate, excavate and isolate leaking pipes underground as well as above-ground in simulations at a training site on 10th Street North.

TECO helped develop a protocol for first-responders in the county when dealing with natural gas leaks, McInerny said.

Cherie Jacobs, spokeswoman for TECO, said the company does training drills regularly with different municipalities.

McInerny said city staff members are passing out brochures on natural gas and propane safety to city business owners, including tips for how to use outdoor patio heaters safely.

Recent natural gas and propane problems in the city are the result of three factors: accidents during construction when workers nick a pipe; faulty equipment inside restaurants that breaks; complacency on the part of workers or home owners who don't react quickly in emergencies.

"Some people realized it was leaking and didn't take definitive action," McInerny said. "The other was turning it on and being delayed in lighting the grill."

Do not use any phone in your building.

Call 911 as soon as you can safely do so.

Do not try to light any appliance.

Do not touch any electrical switches.

Do not light a cigarette in the area.

Exit the building, leaving the doors open.

Source: City of Naples Fire-Rescue Department

In January, a gas leak on 8th Street South shut down Fifth Avenue South businesses for more than 12 hours. It took all of the next day for crews from TECO to reignite pilot lights in each restaurant. In the meantime, workers cooked on grills or served cold food.

In February and March, restaurants on 12th Avenue South and Fifth Avenue South had similar emergencies. A Feb. 27 leak at Bistro 821 across the street from Mangrove Cafe forced crews to shut off gas to two defective stove valves. Crews also responded to a leak at Chez Boet Restaurant on 12th Avenue South where gas had filled both the restaurant and a neighboring ceramics studio.

In an email to city staff in March, McInerny warned of future explosions like the one that injured three last year.

"We are likely to experience another Mangrove Cafe incident if we continue on this track and pace," he wrote.

Lexey Swall/Staff 
 Engineer Erick Baltodano, left, clamps down on a pipe to stop a simulated gas leak in a pipe rack used for training on a recent day in Naples. The City of Naples Fire Department was trained in emergency response to natural gas leaks by TECO Peoples Gas safety advisor Rob Buckle on Tuesday at the Fire-Rescue Training Center in Naples.

Photo by LEXEY SWALL, Naples Daily News // Buy this photo

Lexey Swall/Staff Engineer Erick Baltodano, left, clamps down on a pipe to stop a simulated gas leak in a pipe rack used for training on a recent day in Naples. The City of Naples Fire Department was trained in emergency response to natural gas leaks by TECO Peoples Gas safety advisor Rob Buckle on Tuesday at the Fire-Rescue Training Center in Naples.

Cafe owners have said it cost $650,000 to repair and reopen the restaurant 10 months later.

City staff met with TECO officials following the January leak to discuss training after it took TECO crews about an hour to respond to the scene.

Mayor John Sorey said the firefighter training will help avoid future explosions.

"We'll have a confident, trained group that can stop the gas flow as quickly as possible," he said of fire crews.

City Manager Bill Moss said the training sessions signaled a unique partnership with TECO that the city hasn't previously had with other utility providers.

"Now our crews can begin repairing or shutting off affected areas to minimize the interruptions to our businesses," he said.

More training will be held in the coming weeks for other firefighters in Collier County, including Marco Island personnel.

"We definitely learned about the hazards associated with natural gas leaks," McInerny said.

© 2012 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Stories

Related Links

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features