LAKEWOOD RANCH — A 3-year-old Florida girl is recovering after being bit on the finger by a pygmy rattlesnake while playing outside at the Sunny Daze daycare center.
Barry Rainwater told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune his granddaughter was rushed to All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg on Monday. He says she spent three days in the hospital.
Authorities say Sarah Lawson was playing at the daycare center in eastern Manatee County when the snake bit her.
Rainwater credits the daycare staff for identifying the type of snake that bit the girl.
He says physicians monitored the girl carefully after her hand swelled and the poison moved up her arm.
Rainwater says little Sarah is at home and doing fine now.