Letter to the Editor: Disappointed visitor

To the City Council of Marco Island: I can’t believe the news I heard of the horse drawn carriage rides business being denied approval by your Council.

What a shame that the council and residents of Marco Island could not see the many benefits this business would have brought to your community. I was looking forward to my next visit and the chance to see the operation for myself and my family.

I also told many friends who also visit your area about the carriage rides and all had positive remarks. Even those who do not stay on Marco were going to venture your way, since there would be something new to experience. I guess now they will go elsewhere. I have seen this same type of business work well in many cities, what a shame it was voted down due to the fears of those uncomfortable with change and growth.

You would have a hard time finding four business owners who are more dedicated to running a top notch business, but that is your loss Marco. Hopefully those who were against the business will take the time to learn the positive aspects of the carriage rides and maybe reconsider before another community welcomes them, if it is not to late.

From a disappointed Marco Island visitor.

Jan Miller

Natrona Heights, PA

© 2012 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

marcofriend writes:

It wasn't voted down. There was no second made for the motion to approve.

naples_rocket writes:

Please. Like we don't have enough visitors and traffic congestion.

marco826 writes:

in response to GorchFock:

Klaus, Marco is not London. I think no one is opposed to the idea of Horse Drawn Carriage rides, sure their fun. The problem is logistics. Collier Blvd is very busy in Season and this carriage idea would over burden traffic. By the way, I suggest the letter writer is a close friend of the owners. Common sense says no carriages on Marco.

ratsnake writes:

Where would they ride? Past Town Center Mall? Marco has no personality for carriage rides. It would be like a carriage ride down Pine Ridge. If they want to increase the Island's charm, they need to start at the beginning. It looks more and more like a concrete jungle every day.

seasonala writes:

And, I am in Manhattan, it is hot humid and stinky but only near the beautiful horse drawn carriages! Which have a place here and in England, not in Marco. Did anyone originally come to Marco for a horse and carriage? Did anyone buy a residence here due to a horse and carriage? Or a potential for one. Or a miniature golf course. Less is more. This island is a beautiful tropical paradise we should preserve for those future visitors who I guarantee will not be disappointed. If you are disappointed with a visit to Marco Island you may just be hard to please.

WizeOlMarco writes:

So, you are disappointed in Marco Island because you can't ride a horse drawn buggy? When is the last time you rode a horse drawn buggy in Natrona Heights PA? I hear Pennsylvania's Amish country has lots of horse drawn buggies, and is closer to Natrona than Marco Island. Next time I'm in Natrona I'll look for some nice weather and a salt water sandy beach; hope Natrona doesn't disappoint.

captnjimbo writes:

Give me a break. I hope you come back, Marco Is a great place without the excrement and flies that the horseys would bring. Makinac Island also a charming place and they have what...50 people following horses around trying to clean up...and if you know the territory, they do not try to mix motor vehicles and horses...except for an ambulance and a landing strip nothing with a motor there...even UPS delivers by wagon...all downsides here and except for the guy that made the motion, council did the right thing...if you lived here you would go along.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot writes:

Go to Kentucky if you want a horsey ride.

summerinparadise writes:

Worst idea EVER!!!

MrBreeze writes:

Jan Miller from PA. Mr Breeze from Marco says STAY HOME. STAY AWAY. KEEP OUT. If the beech and the island do not please you tough luck.

I have been to PA. many times on business talk about rude, please.

I think the horse drawn carriage idea was a poor one and cruelty to the horse as well. The right call was made on that one.

marconan writes:

"Even those who do not stay on Marco were going to venture your way, since there would be something new to experience. I guess now they will go elsewhere."

Jan, now that we will not have carriage rides does this mean your friends will never come to Marco & "go elsewhere"? Do your friends only go to places where they have carriage rides? This is a strange affliction. Is this something hereditary or did they acquire this as they got older, maybe from too much horse fumes. Is there a cure? I am very concerned that it may be contagious. I hope they don't come here & start an epidemic, then we will need a 24/7 walk in clinic so we can go there at 3AM to get vaccinated against this dreaded disease.

By the way, nice try Jan it sounds like you are the mother of one of "four business owners who are more dedicated to running a top notch business" & not just a disappointed visitor.

1Paradiselost writes:

The idea should have been given a chance. But what do you expect from an island that is 78% crabby Republicans. Someone try's to create jobs, Typical. They are used to the word NO!

RayNetherwood writes:

Gee, a paid political ad by the horsey people. Jan, go vacation elsewhere with the family and take all the lovely carriage rides you want. Kindly take all the swale parkers with you too.

MrBreeze writes:

Paradiselost, I am not crabby, but I do not think having that poor horse drag tourists around in the heat is fair business.

Perhaps they can change to an "all green" rickshaw and pull it themselves then we can have another look at it. Maybee you can do some shifts pulling helping the new start up business and see how the horse feels. Don't worry we will give you water and put a diaper on you so you will not need to stop.

I will be the first customer for that and gladly pay to see you perform.

Mr. Breeze 100% happy on island.

OutWithTheOldies writes:

Wow. Rather amazing that any dissenting opinion outside of the 'Blog Mob's' opinion is greeted with slander and 'get out of Marco' comments.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the carriage ride thing, and would prefer it not clog up our busy streets but I can certainly appreciate another's POV.

Whatever happened to a little respectful debate absent of name-calling? Anonymity breeds stupidity. You want to rip someone else's thoughts? Why don't you sign your name to your post...

RayNetherwood writes:

CP what ax are you grinding? Slander? Seems to be missing. Name calling? I looked back through every comment and didn't see a single instance. Maybe when you responded to this, you were thinking of some of the other topics which have brought forth a lot of both.

OutWithTheOldies writes:

MarcoBiker-
I've got no ax to grind. I'm a full time Marco Resident like many others and just like keeping up with local events.... But Here is a sampling of some of the 18 comments noted above.... tell me if you think these are the sort of things that promote thoughtful dialogue and healthy debate....

"Don't worry Jan, I will write to Dr. Phil about your friend's "Horse Carriage Desire Syndrome". Maybe he can have them on his show & help them. He's been known to provide free rehab for his patients."

"Jan Miller from PA. Mr Breeze from Marco says STAY HOME. STAY AWAY. KEEP OUT."

"Go to Kentucky if you want a horsey ride.
..."

Perhaps my glasses are tinted with the stench of comments sections passed, and in hindsight these comments pale in comparison to others i've seen in the past. I just don't see the point of being an anonymous jerk just because one doesn't agree with another's ideas- I guess thats just politics these days? Sad, nonetheless.

RayNetherwood writes:

CP I don't have a problem with healthy debate, nor with sarcasm regarding a "letter to the city council" that is a clear fabrication as others pointed out. However, you tossed out "slander" and "name calling" ..... And that simply did not exist. Also, these comments provide a pressure relief valve for many of us who have no other means to vent besides kicking the dog, horse, kids, or political candidates. Consider it electronic graffiti ... it'll make life a little easier.

marconan writes:

CPMarco-
"Whatever happened to a little respectful debate absent of name-calling?"

"I just don't see the point of being an anonymous jerk just because one doesn't agree with another's ideas"

CP, I see you have joined the "name-calling" ranks with your "anonymous jerk" statement. Welcome aboard.

I will be respectful & not call you a hypocrite.

OutWithTheOldies writes:

I truly don't have an issue with people posting their views, however passionate, in regard to these stories. In fact, the candor of the statements and public reaction along with the insightful comments is the reason I bother to scroll down to the end of the page. In my experience, there is always 'more to the story'- and these is a good place to look for it.

I just don't see the need to be an @hole about it when you make your point- especially with petty name calling (whether its in this thread or the hundreds of others where it has been more blatant). If that makes me a hypocrite, then so be it.

marconan writes:

CPMarco-
"I just don't see the need to be an @hole about it when you make your point- especially with petty name calling....."

There you go again with the name calling.

OutWithTheOldies writes:

marconan-
"If that makes me a hypocrite, then so be it...."

RayNetherwood writes:

You are what you eat has a corollary ... You are what you write. :o)

OutWithTheOldies writes:

MarcoBiker-
I couldn't be more in agreement. In fact, those are words that some others here could afford to live by.

ancientmariner writes:

Horse-drawn carriages make little sense on Marco Island. There is really no place for them that isn't paved, and the pavement is arguably cruel to the animals. There is also the problem of traffic and animal waste on the streets.

However, a horse trail off the island, perhaps in South Naples, is an outstanding idea and I expect tourists would enjoy it a great deal. We have a lot of horse farms in the area and offering rides to tourists could be a lucrative business.

seasonala writes:

1Paradiselost do you actually think this was an avenue to create jobs? And, I am not a Republican (not sure what that has to do with anything). This was not a practical idea based on proximity to traffic, size of island, length of ride, logistics of location, etc. It was just not a good idea for this island. It would not have created jobs either except maybe for the horse. Yes, a few drivers would have been required; but, do you realize the cost to operate. There would not be enough folks to keep it up because once you go on one of these rides either while on vacation, or to take the children or for a special occasion for residents you don't repeat experience. This is a fact based on New York, Charleston, and Savannah. Again, not a quality idea to bring to Marco.