ORLANDO — The family of an 11-year-old girl is suing Orange Lakes Resort in Orlando where she was electrocuted playing miniature golf.
The wrongful lawsuit filed Tuesday in Orlando seeks more than $27 million in damages. Ashton Jojo of Latham, N.Y., was electrocuted June 27 while retrieving a ball from a pond.
The Orlando Sentinel reports the lawsuit also seeks damages for the emotional distress suffered by parents David and Deborah Jojo and their 14-year-old son, Donovan.
Resort spokeswoman Stacey Sutherland told the newspaper that company policy prohibits commenting on pending litigation. But she said "our hearts go out to the Jojo family during this difficult time."
The family's Miami-based attorney, Ira Leesfield, says the resort didn't hire a certified electrical contractor or obtain proper permits to replace aging equipment.