Late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories of interest:
1. ISLANDERS GET READY FOR TROPICAL STORMS. Haiti and the Dominican Republic await Issac as it approaches hurricane strength while Taiwan braces for Typhoon Tembin.
2. OBAMA SAYS AKIN 'SOMEHOW MISSED SCIENCE CLASS.' The president uses the congressman's "legitimate rape" comment to argue that some people have a "desire to go backwards."
3. BEFORE RAPE-PREGNANCY UPROAR, AKIN HAD LOW PROFILE. The Missouri congressman was virtually nationally unknown before his Senate race and faux pas.
4. INMATES AND THEIR KEEPERS ACCUSED IN DRUG RING. Indictment says guards smuggled in cellphones prisoners used to coordinate meth and heroin operation.
5. MICHELLE OBAMA VISITS SIKH TEMPLE WHERE SIX WERE KILLED. Her early afternoon visit builds on an outpouring of support for the worshippers from around the world.
6. HOW AN EARTHQUAKE SHOOK UP EAST COAST RESPONSE PLANS. A year after a magnitude-5.8 tremor rocked the region, state officials have revisited emergency preparedness policies.
7. WHY 'NONE OF THE ABOVE' WON'T BE ON NEVADA BALLOT. A judge says the option's invalid because it wouldn't count in the tallies that determine winners.
8. BATTLE POSSIBLE OVER SEAL'S BOOK ON BIN LADEN RAID. U.S. military says it doesn't believe "No Easy Day," a first-hand account, has been cleared by the Pentagon.
9. IF YOU COULD WALK WITH THE ANIMALS. You nearly can at the Philadelphia Zoo, where apes travel on protected paths above their human visitors.
10. ON THE MARKET: JEFFREY DAHMER'S CHILDHOOD HOME. The house — offered for $329,000 in Bath, Ohio — is where the serial killer murdered his first of 17 victims.
■ TODAY AND EVERY DAY: Click here for links to recent arrest reports and mug shots in Collier and Lee counties.