Naples votes to appeal judicial order striking down slow-speed zones

David Albers/File
Boaters cruise through Naples Bay in July.

Photo by DAVID ALBERS, Naples Daily News

David Albers/File Boaters cruise through Naples Bay in July.

— Naples is refusing to give up its fight to keep slow speed zones on Naples Bay, but cracks were showing Wednesday in the city’s resistance.

The Naples City Council voted 4-3 Wednesday — with council members Doug Finlay, Gary Price and Teresa Heitmann dissenting — to appeal a judge’s order from June that found the city had no enforceable speed zone laws on the books.

County Judge Michael Provost sided with two charter boat captains who challenged tickets they received after purposely violating the speed zones in April.

Council members voted, without comment, after a 90-minute closed-door session to discuss strategy in the case with city attorneys Bob Pritt and Jim Fox.

“I don’t think we should have ever gotten involved in this in the beginning,” Finlay said later.

Before he was a council member, Finlay was among a group of boaters who successfully challenged a state permit to mark expanded slow speed zones the city approved in 2004. The 2004 law is key to the current controversy.

The 2004 law repealed an earlier speed zone law and then the 2004 zones never went into effect because of the successful permit challenge. The city argued that meant the earlier speed zone law had been revived, but Provost disagreed.

Heitmann said she did not think the revival theory would be upheld by the appeal court, a panel of three Circuit Court judges yet to be named. She called for a study during tourist season about whether safety issues on the bay justify slow speed zones.

The city has put reflective tape over the slow speed zone signs and is not enforcing those zones. Idle speed zones on the bay are unaffected by the ruling, and marine patrol officers say they still will ticket reckless boaters.

Councilman Gary Price said an appeal is “not a good use of our resources” based on his reading of Provost’s order: “I didn’t think that it was worth pursuing it.”

He said that doesn’t mean he thinks the city would lose or that he is dismissing safety concerns on the bay.

The appeal amounts to a tactical decision to stave off the city’s liability should other boaters come forward to challenge their slow speed-zone tickets, Councilman Sam Saad said.

“That’s pretty much the only reason to do it at this point,” he said.

Speed-zone opponents have spent weeks lobbying the City Council to forego an appeal, which opponents insist is a losing proposition against what they see as a solid ruling by Provost.

“They’re doing it for political cover,” charter boat captain Allen Walburn said after the vote Wednesday.

“They know they messed up.”

© 2012 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features