RIVERDALE 23, LELY 13
L 0 0 6 7 — 13
R 6 14 0 3 — 23
R — Snyder 6 run (kick failed), 8:09
R — Pulley 30 pass from Snyder (run failed), 9:06
R — Edwards 52 run (Humfleet pass from Snyder), 5:22
L — Olalde 26 interception return (kick failed), 9:37
L — Joseph 39 pass from Gober (Alfaro kick), 1:38
R — Perry 22 FG, 8:16
FORT MYERS — Stacey Stewart’s head coaching debut was memorable, but not in the way he was hoping. After failing to convert a first down in the entire first half, Lely dropped its season opener 23-13 to Riverdale on Friday night.
“It was definitely a learning experience for me,” Stewart said. “I’m going to go back and look at the film.”
Riverdale’s offense wasn’t perfect, but it didn’t need to be. The Raiders’ defense made mincemeat of the Trojans, holding them to 20 yards of total offense and forcing two fumbles in the first half. The Raiders led 20-0 at halftime.
“They had good reads on us,” Stewart said.
It was the defense that finally ended the shutout. On the first Riverdale drive of the third quarter, Jose Olalde picked off a pass with a head of steam and ran it 26 yards for a touchdown.
The Trojans climbed within a touchdown on their one big offensive play of the night. Quarterback Zach Grober lofted a bomb towards a wide open Anderson Joseph, who had beaten his coverage far enough that he was able to adjust his route. Joseph caught the ball and ran it into the end zone for a 39-yard touchdown. Sergio Alfaro’s kick made it a 20-13 game.
But the offensive woes returned in the fourth quarter. Lely did not make it 10 yards in either drive, allowing Riverdale to put the game away.
Grober’s touchdown pass was his only completion, in just three attempts. DeWarren Mobley led the rushers with 19 yards.
Stewart, a longtime assistant coach, put on the head coach’s headset for the first time. He was a quarterback for Lely in the 1980s.
2012 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 1
- Video: Morgan flies Eagles past Pioneers
- Video: First Baptist stifles Moore Haven
- Video: SFM pulls away from Cypress Lake
- Video: CSN holds off Evangelical Christian
- Video: Estero wins over Baker
- Video: Lemon Bay defeats Palmetto Ridge
- Photos: Naples vs. North Miami
- Photos: Miami-Braddock vs. Barron Collier
- Photos: Marco Island Academy vs. Cape Coral-Oasis
- Photos: South Fort Myers vs. Cypress Lake
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Fans
- Your Photos: Barron Collier Band
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast Fans
- Your Photos: Naples High Fans
- Your Photos: First Baptist Academy Fans
- Prep football: Lely's comeback bid falls short
- Prep football: Community School holds off Evangelical Christian
- Prep football: Estero off to big start with win over Baker
- Prep football: First Baptist stifles Moore Haven
- Prep football: D'Ernest Johnson scores five times as Immokalee pulls away
- Prep football: Lemon Bay, Sparks fly past Palmetto Ridge
- Prep football: Gulf Coast makes Fominaya's debut a winning one
- Prep football: Marco Island Academy falls to Oasis in program's debut
- Prep football: Barron Collier rolls to win for first-year coach Pallante
- Prep football: South Fort Myers pulls away from Cypress Lake in second half
- Prep football: Morgan is the man in Naples' win over North Miami
- Prep football: Port Charlotte shuts down Golden Gate
- Prep football: St. John Neumann rolls over St. Stephen's
- Prep football: Friday's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep Football: Live chat, scores, videos, photos and stories from Week 1
- Prep Football, Week 1: Everything you need to know about tonight's games
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Blog: The Huddle
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone