Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. THE RISKS OF AN AFGHANISTAN TROOP WITHDRAWAL: Analysts warn that pulling back too much could slow the Afghan army's development, while keeping too many would prolong its dependence.
2. HOW A SERIAL KILLER'S BLOOD COULD CRACK COLD CASES: The AP's Don Babwin reports Illinois police are creating DNA profiles of executed serial killer John Wayne Gacy and others to see if the killers had more victims.
3. JAPAN'S AGING TUNNELS: The country orders new inspections after nine people are killed in the collapse of a 1970s-era tunnel.
4. WHERE THE SCHOOL YEAR IS GETTING LONGER: Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York and Tennessee are adding at least 300 hours to the calendar.
5. TRACING A KILLER'S CONFESSION: Israel Keyes implicates himself in as many as eight killings in four states before killing himself in jail. BARISTA SLAYING-SUICIDE
6. FOLLOW THE POPE @PONTIFEX: The Vatican announces the pontiff will begin Tweeting from a new personal handle.
7. A NEW STAB AT AVOIDING WASHINGTON'S 'FISCAL CLIFF': Pelosi says she will try to force a House vote on a Senate-passed bill favored by Democrats to break the deadlock.
8. KC CHIEF AND SLAIN GIRLFRIEND SEEMED 'FINE' BEFORE MURDER-SUICIDE: A friend says linebacker Jovan Belcher and Kasandra M. Perkins had argued about "normal couple stuff."
9. WHAT 'STUPID HUMAN TRICKS' CAN GET YOU: David Letterman receives Kennedy Center honors, along with rockers Led Zeppelin, actor Dustin Hoffman, bluesman Buddy Guy and ballerina Natalia Makarova.
10. A MAGIC ACT GOES UP IN FLAMES: Magician Wayne Houchin recuperates after a Dominican Republic TV host set his hair on fire with cologne.
5 THINGS TO KNOW IN FLORIDA TODAY
1. PIG CAUSES CRASH: Florida Highway Patrol says pig in the middle of the road causes several crashes and serious injuries in Collier County.
2. FLOATING GATOR ART: The head of a giant alligator made of reclaimed parts will floating through Fort Lauderdale throughout December as South Florida celebrates Art Basel, an international art fair.
3. FLORIDA WATER RULE A SPLIT DECISION: Both sides cheering, jeering over EPA's split decision on new water pollution rules.
4. USF FIRES FOOTBALL COACH: The firing of Skip Holtz follows the worst season in the program's 16-year history.
5. INTERSTATE 595 GETS A FACELIFT: As contractors continue construction on I-595 in Fort Lauderdale, the east-west roadway also is getting $10 million in landscaping.
■ TODAY AND EVERY DAY: Click here for links to recent arrest reports and mug shots in Collier and Lee counties.