State Attorney's Office declines to file charges in rape, beating case

The State Attorney's Office has declined to file charges in a case of aggravated battery against a Fort Myers man who was accused of beating and raping a friend, claiming insufficient evidence.

George Lewis Joseph III, 34, had been accused of attacking the woman in late November in North Naples, according to an arrest report. The State Attorney's Office made the decision about the case Friday, spokeswoman Samantha Syoen said.

Syoen said a Collier County detective who was gathering statements from witnesses found their accounts to be "completely inconsistent with the victim," who was found toothless and beaten in front of the Landmark Naples community.

The victim, whose name was redacted from reports, also appeared to be "extremely intoxicated," making her statements difficult for prosecutors to use, Syoen said.

© 2012 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features