One reason why ‘We the People’ are facing the current fiscal cliff crisis is because “we” have failed to protect our financial interest by allowing the government to give entitlements.
Entitlements are gifts that are given at various levels of governments. Usually there is an expectation of what the gift will provide to the recipient or the giver.
But who should be entitled?
1. Sports figures are entitled to some compensation because of the revenue they generate and the risk of injury they face.
2. Respect is not something you are entitled to, it is something that has to be earned.
3. Analysts are entitled to their opinions on stocks, just like anyone else.
4. If you are employed you are entitled to just compensation from your employer.
5. And of course, you are entitled to your opinion.
A relative came home and day after day found his 20 year old son, who was not attending college even though he had gained admittance to several top universities, sitting in front of a game screen just playing away. Finally having enough of this, he called his son into the study and made the following announcement. “Son, I do not mind you living off the fat of the land, but from this day forward you will not be living off of my fat or my land.” You must find a way to be beneficial to yourself and contribute to society.
It is important to state that the young man was neither lazy nor foolish. He had just simply found himself receiving entitlements from his family that provide a level of comfort that satisfied his immediate needs; he just needed to be prodded out of that comfort level his family had lovingly provided. My nephew went on to become a very successful businessman in the computer industry.
We as a society need to stop undeserving people from living off the fat of the land and encourage them to be beneficial to themselves and to the society in which we live.