A trio of cases involving allegations of murder, aggravated battery and child sex abuse could go before a Collier County judge this week.
Circuit Judge Frank Baker will schedule trials or further hearings Tuesday in a series of cases with serious charges.
The most serious charge involves the September 2010 death of 65-year-old Kenneth Robert Christ, whose body was found in his East Naples home. Sheriff's deputies arrested 31-year-old Santos Anibal Martinez-Lopez, an illegal immigrant being held in jail, after he was pulled over while driving Christ's pickup truck on Bayshore Drive. He has been charged with second-degree murder.
Martinez-Lopez denied knowing Christ and said he was never in Christ's home.
At the time of his arrest, Martinez-Lopez had blood on his shirt and his fingernails, deputies said. Blood also was found on a wrench in the pickup.
A motive hasn't been publicly reported for Christ's death.
In a separate case, Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law could once again be tested. Margaret Johnson-Burton, 63, of Golden Gate, faces a single charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after deputies said she shot her roommate in June 2010.
Ronald Carrubba, 64, survived gunshot wounds to the arm and chest. Johnson-Burton's lawyer, Sal Bazaz, has argued Johnson-Burton shot at Carrubba after he threatened to kill her and lunged at her during an argument over an ashtray.
Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law allows for the right to "meet force with force, including deadly force" in cases where a person feels threatened with death or great bodily harm.
"She was in fear for her life because she knew what kind of man he was, so she protected herself," Bazaz said last month.
The case was scheduled to go to trial in November 2011 but was pushed to early January.
In a third case, Anthony J. Dinatale faces charges of seven charges related to child sex abuse at a now-defunct preschool in 2009.
Deputies said Dinatale, who remains in jail, touched the genitals of two girls and photographed them naked at the Ann Phillip Preschool in Naples Park. Preschool officials closed the location following Dinatale's arrest and settled two civil lawsuits in 2010 that resulted in the girls receiving about $330,000, most of which will be given out when the girls are adults.