NEW SMYRNA BEACH — A 9-year-old girl has died from injuries caused by a fire that started as she and a friend played with cigarette lighters.
New Smyrna Beach Fire Marshal Jeff Lariscy says the girl and her 8-year-old friend were playing in a backyard shed on July 28 when the fire broke out. The boy crawled out a window, but the girl didn't get out.
Officials said Monday the girl died on Saturday at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children in Orlando. The boy is recovering at Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports the children were burning items in the shed, including clothes and Christmas decorations. The children had been friends since they were toddlers.
Lariscy says officials found two lighters in the shed.