Election 2012: Newcomers take down incumbents in Marco Council race

Winning candidate Larry Sacher, center, checks election results on his iPad in the Marco Island City Council race. Lance Shearer/Special to the Daily News

Photo by LANCE SHEARER // Buy this photo

If the Presidential election were confined to Marco Island, we’d be gearing up for the Romney inaugural address. The island’s voters were clearly in the “out with the old, in with the new” mood and this feeling expressed itself nationally as well

as locally.

A political tsunami swept over Marco Island Tuesday, washing away every incumbent City Council member seeking re-election. With strong interest in the local races and voter turnout as high as 88 percent, Islanders sent a strong message of dissatisfaction with the status quo.

The non-incumbent troika of Ken Honecker, Amadeo Petricca and Larry Sacher, who campaigned as a team, all recorded winning tallies, along with political newcomer Larry Honig, who had allied himself with incumbents Jerry Gibson and Frank Recker.

Among the four winning candidates, Honecker led the way with 16.21 percent of the vote, followed by Honig at 15.81, Sacher at 14.42 and Petricca at 13.34.

“Clearly, they went with all new candidates,” said Honecker, the top vote getter. “That says something. People want change.” He campaigned on greater transparency in city government.

Incumbents Recker, Gibson and Wayne Waldack fell short of reelection, winning 12.75 percent, 12.32 percent and 7.927 percent respectively. Candidate Duane Thomas won 7.197 percent of the vote. Declared candidate Paul Meyer dropped out before Election Day.

The crowd of Honecker, Petricca and Sacher supporters at Mango’s was large, boisterous and upbeat Tuesday evening, while the “Stay Positive” incumbents-plus-Honig gathering across the Esplanade at CJ’s on the Bay was low key and sparsely attended. At 8:33 p.m., Mango’s erupted in cheers as incumbents Gibson and Recker appeared to concede the race and congratulate the victors.

Recker was philosophical in defeat.

“We got a record turnout – 88 percent,” he said. “Win or lose, I’m happy. The people spoke.”

In the Presidential race, Marco Island went for Romney by 76.39 percent,versus 64.66 percent for Collier County as a whole. Marco backed unsuccessful U.S. Senate candidate Connie Mack by 68.77 percent, versus 59.33 percent county-wide. The island backed a winner in U.S. House candidate Trey Radel, who won 73.27 percent on Marco, and 68.94 percent across Collier.

Marco Island Taxpayers Association president Fay Biles expressed herself “thrilled to death” with the local results, but very worried about the outcome in the Presidential race.

“We got our MITA people in,” she said. “They know fiscal prudence, and budget sheets. But nationally, we’re headed for some tough times, and I’m not sure Obama can handle it. We thought for sure Romney would get in.”

“I did not expect it,” said Caxambas Republican Club president Litha Berger of Obama’s victory. “I knew it would be close. The country has selected a President, now we have to support him. The storm didn’t help, and Christie’s comments hurt,”

she added.

City Council Chairman Larry Magel said, “I expect we’ll have a new chairman Monday night. I’ll be a regular city councilman. I’ll make my opinion known, and we’ll see how many people support it. I’ve been asked, ‘Is there any personal animosity?’ Of course not. This race was about what people think is best for Marco Island.”

Councilman Joe Batte, who will also have to work with the new city council, said, “Obviously, the people have made a statement. They’re looking for new ideas, and want us to do things in a different way.” Nationally, he said “I was kind of shocked that Mitt didn’t do as well as I thought he would.”

County Commissioner Donna Fiala, victorious in her re-election bid, said she was grateful to her supporters, but sad to see the Presidential result.

“I thought we were ready to take a step forward, but I guess we’re not,” she said.

Paul Meyer, who dropped out of the City Council race, pronounced himself “absolutely happy” in his decision. “We have the same problem locally we have nationally – we can’t unite.”

One clear winner in the poll results watching was the tablet computer. Election results? There’s an app for that, as both winners and losers spent significant time hunched over iPads waiting for the numbers to update.

Early and absentee voting were also winners, as more Marco voters voted early in person than absentee, and both were much stronger than traditional day-of voting at the polls.

Local artist Betty Newman spoke for many with her election post-mortem: “I’m just glad it’s over.”

Reported earlier

A political tsunami swept over Marco Island Tuesday, washing away every incumbent City Council member seeking re-election. With strong interest in the local races and voter turnout as high as 87 percent, islanders sent a strong message of dissatisfaction with the status quo.

The “non-incumbent” troika of Ken Honecker, Amadeo Petricca and Larry Sacher, who campaigned as a team, all recorded winning tallies, along with political newcomer Larry Honig, who had allied himself with incumbents Jerry Gibson and Frank Recker.

“Fiscal responsibility and listening – getting input from the public” was the promise of Honig, who stressed the need to keep the island’s business and tourism healthy.

Sacher claimed vindication. “The citizens saw is was all fake. The citizens wanted a change,” he said. “We represent the kind of change Marco Island wants. Now the real work starts.”

The taciturn Petricca had no comment on his victory, but throughout the race has stressed his financial and accounting experience, as well as the need for more transparency in city government.

The crowd at Mango’s was large, boisterous and upbeat, while the “Stay Positive” incumbents-plus-Honig gathering across the Esplanade at CJ’s on the Bay was low key and sparsely attended. At 8:33 p.m., Mango’s erupted in cheers as incumbents Gibson and Recker appeared to conced the race and congratulate the victors.

Recker was philosophical in defeat.

One clear winner in the poll results watching was the tablet computer. Elections? There’s an app for that, as both winners and losers spent significant time hunched over iPads waiting for the numbers to update.

---

Are you viewing this story on an iPad or iPhone? Click here to view this story on our full site to get Twitter updates and a presidential state-by-state map.

States will turn RED (Rep.) or BLUE (Dem.) when confirmed by AP. (Refresh the story to update)

Election Day Stories

Photo Galleries

Videos

© 2012 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Topics

Related Links

blogsmog writes:

AMEN!!!! Marco has been saved! The crumbling of the syndicate has begun. Marco homeowners and condo owners can now take their island back! I have waited a long time for this night.
Congrats Marco!

26yearsonmarco writes:

KLOWN KLAUS DECLAIRS VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!

AS FAR AS "WE THE PEOPLE" ARE CONCERNED:

SCREWED, BLUED AND TATOOED

dc5799 writes:

Issler,
Now that is a LANDSLIDE.

No_more_cyber_bullying (Inactive) writes:

Finally, the puppeteer lost "most" of his strings.

MrBreeze writes:

It is a good start to retake the island back to the residents. I hope they proceed to make all good decisions and return the island to the style of living the Mackel Bros. envisioned when they created this great island we all call home.

Please guys do not let us down.

26yearsonmarco writes:

KLOWN KLAUS:

REMEMBER BS WALKS, MONEY TALKS:

Stocks took a sharp nosedive across the board Wednesday in the wake of President Barack Obama's re-election, triggered by worries over the looming "fiscal cliff" and as fears over Europe's economy reemerged.

The Dow fell below 13,000, while the S&P 500 traded under 1,400 for the first time since early September".

"

blogsmog writes:

Obama makes Santa Klaus feel like he once did, back way back before the American GIs and the Russian soldliers chased the Nazis out of Berlin like rats. Yes those were special days for Santa Klaus, socialism reigned supreme throught europe and Klausy had a stiffy, the masses entranced by the supreme leader, das Fuhrer! ...ahh the those warm fuzzy days are back.
OBAMA the GREAT PRESiDENT WILL LEAD US AGAIN
VICTORY OBAMA VICTORY GREAT OBAMA!!! OUR SUPREME LEADER

2themoon writes:

in response to GorchFock:

Yes blogsmog, have you ever 'reflected' your s----- stuff you post?
Sgt. shultz you're an idiot

RayPray writes:

in response to blogsmog:

OBAMA the GREAT PRESiDENT WILL LEAD US AGAIN
VICTORY OBAMA VICTORY GREAT OBAMA!!! OUR SUPREME LEADER

"before the American GIs and the Russian soldliers chased the Nazis out of Berlin"

>>> The only Americans chasing Nazis in Berlin were in your dreams. Ike decided to forgo Berlin & moved South into Bavaria instead. It was only the Soviets under Marshal Chuikov in Berlin in April '45.

>>> In fact, Stalin -- 'greatest genius of all history' before OBAMA -- chose to sacrifice a half million Soviet troops in 1945 to achieve this goal.

"like rats"

>>> In fact, the Wehrmacht & Hitler Youth, though not the Volksturm, put up an extraordinary gallant if often suicidal retreat against the Soviets. Read the Richard Bissel book.

mahiman writes:

Fiscal Responsibility! Thanks to those who also tried to displace the incumbents, but lost. You'll get another chance to move some others out of there on the next round!

No_more_cyber_bullying (Inactive) writes:

Honesty, Transparency and Equal, Fair Representation is what we voted for and from the new councilors, is what I believe we will now get.

GFonda writes:

OK, lets start a fresh, clean slate and go on from here. The defeated councilors did what they thought was best for the City at that thankless job. The new councilors need to stop rah-rahing and pick up the gauntlet and bring all of us (house owners, condo owners, businesses, and visitors) of this great paradise together. Good Luck!

Congratulations to all the victorious candidates that ran for City Council. The voters have spoken and we will see how it all shakes out.

The Democratic process is a great thing. We have 7 members on Council who are responsible, as a group, for deciding the direction and future of Marco Island.

I still look for great things for Marco Island and it's residents, young and old, and count on City Council, as a group, to make the right decisions.

The votes on Council may be 7-0, or 4-3, but we can take pride in the process and in our Island Paradise.

I have always been a proponent for supporting how the majority votes. That applies not only to the election, but to Council, itself.

I certainly hope that everyone celebrating feels the same way and still supports our City Council, even if the vote on an issue is 4-3 opposed to an idea or proposal brought forth by the newly elected "slate". I know I will support Council if the vote is for a suggestion by the newly elected slate. I may not agree with it, but the process works !!

ed34145 writes:

Thank you, Ed for being one of the VERY few gentlemen who respond to these comments.

MrBreeze writes:

Ed, would you say the "cavedwellers" won? As some residents were labled in the last election cycle.

Also the name for City Hall should be "Marco Island City Hall" as it the place the property owners, taxpayers, business and residents own. It should not be referred to anything else.

captnjimbo writes:

I usually make it a point to stay on subject, but today I will stray.
I certainly enjoy the articles and the opportunity to voice an opinion but when one person provides over 40% of the blogs and over 60% of the space, I think it takes away from the discussion and the quality. I could live with one blog and one follow up...anybody else?

2themoon writes:

Issler , thank you now go away! You and your syndicate cronnies have f'd this paradise over! We need this new council to work hard to give this city back to the citizens and taxpayers.

captnjimbo writes:

in response to captnjimbo:

I usually make it a point to stay on subject, but today I will stray.

Eagle staff...I suggested removal to make sure you saw this comment.

2themoon writes:

in response to MrBreeze:

Monte are we still cavedwellers?? Monte you there? Are we out of the caves now?

dc5799 writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

You lie,lie,lie. Did the mafia dump you? You have never been a proponent for anyone except the condo managers.
Now we have someone to listen to us not telling us how and who to vote for.No more letter's secretly delivered.
Life will be nice without you and your cronies

MrBreeze writes:

I am proud to be a "cavedwellers" in fact I had said at the time we need shirts that said "Marco Cavedweller"

Sounds like a great name for a sports team. "even a cavedweller can figure it out"

Come on people, those few of you that blog. This is and was never about "us" (the 20 people that blog) this has been and will always be about our City. And the majority have spoken.

Now let the process begin and let us see how things shape up for our futre. We have seven Council members who we can assume will act responsibly (a definition that is different to many of us).

I certainly expect to hear verbose and burning retorts after the new memebers are seated and the first vote goes 4 to 3 against them. And I am certain that many votes will go 4-3 for issues that the new members want to bring up.

184 votes is hardly a "landslide" as mentioned above. Again, I congratulate the victors and look forward to the Democratic process playing out at Council meetings.

2themoon writes:

Get Tuckers name off city hall!

Open Letter to Council:

I strongly recommend a change in council leadership. I strongly recommend a Council Chairman that can evaluate the challenges on Marco Island without creating a false sense of urgency. The recent 24/7 urgent care proposal and the current seawall staging share a common feature all initiated by the current council chair. They both were brought to the fore and hyped beyond the scope of the "problem".

I support the city in its quest to bring out the facts (i.e Mr. Milk and staff recent seawall briefing) and NOT be a foundation for a Council Chair that acts in a manner that I personally find bizarre, especially his endorsement of candidates while including his title of Council Chair in the body of his endorsement.

I have recommendations, but I believe the makeup of this new council will make decisions that now represent the voters irregardless of dwelling type.

Publius

2themoon writes:

I want the new council to proclaim November 18th " Cavedweller day"....

happyhorowitz34145 writes:

Holly Molly!!!! A few new faces on the council!
LMAO..... Joey pizza is not going to get his way now that the 3 council members that were in his pocket have been voted out!

MrBreeze writes:

Cavedwellers Day!!! A new holiday on Marco Island.

The day the island was taken back.

No_more_cyber_bullying (Inactive) writes:

O.M.G. what will Arceri do with his only newly elected puppet?

Magel will have "no ill will" feelings towards the new councilors which is according to his own words?

He should think about what his activies have been and worry that the MAJORITY of the voters on this island does not have ill will towards him.

So we have all of 15-20 people blogging on the subject, including myself. For the most part, these blogs are just chatter amongst a small group of people. It has always been that way.

There are 7 (seven) members on our City Council. The first vote taken was 4 to 3, with the 3 new members voting as a block on the losing side of an issue. They all voted with the same "technique" which leads me to believe a "pre-discussed" stategy.

One of the 3 candidates won by 184 votes. I would hardly consider that a "Mandate" from the voters, when over 500 voters did not see the back side of the Ballot mand did not vote al all. The only reason I mention this is because in past elections, a majority of the actual voters (the total) had elected the Council members. And while I heartfully congratulate the victorious Council members, only 1, I repeat, 1, of the new members won by a majority of the voting Public. This is NOT "spilled milk", rather a reminder to all members of Council to always fight for and vote for the majority of voters as much as possible. Remember, the Pendulum swings very easily !!!

I would caution the newly elected candidates to be careful about Sunshine Law violations and avoid discussing Council issues amongst themselves outside of Council Chambers.

Most of their supporters are the very same that have brought these violations to light in the past.

I look forward to good discussion and debate from Council and I expect each and every Council member to vote on issues as they each see them, individually.

dc5799 writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

Your guys lost lost lost. Don't worry about sunshine laws no sneaky letter writers on our team. Get over it Ed no one cares what you think anymore. Your on the losing team now.