Smoking blamed for fire that displaced 25 families in Florida

PLANTATION — The state fire marshal says careless smoking sparked a fire that displaced 25 families living in a South Florida apartment building.

Battalion Chief Joel Gordon says an occupant in the Plantation apartment where the fire started admitted he had been smoking. Gordon tells the Sun Sentinel that the resident's attempt to extinguish the fire himself delayed a call to 911.

Officials say the fire was confined to two apartments. At least seven other apartments in the three-story building were damaged by smoke and water.

Gordon says that because the building wasn't required to have a sprinkler system, firefighters had to hoist hoses to the third floor to fight the blaze.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features