Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. AIRSTRIKE ONSLAUGHT ON GAZA STRIP: Israel's most intense offensive on the Gaza Strip in four years sets off new rounds of fighting, with an early rocket attack killing three Israelis.
2. A NEW LEADER FOR CHINA IN A COUNTRY THAT WANTS CHANGE: Xi Jinping secured the Communist Party's top spot to lead a nation clamoring for economic and political reform.
3. THE EMAIL THAT GAVE BIRTH TO A SCANDAL: The anonymous email in May warned the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan to stay away from a Florida socialite, the first in a chain of messages that led to the downfall of CIA Director David Petraeus.
4. THE AGENT WHO TRACKED THE GENERALS: FBI Special Agent Frederick Humphries II helped stop a Los Angeles airport terror plot more than a decade ago.
5. OBAMA SAYS THE NATION IS SECURE: The president sees no evidence that the messy drama that ended his CIA director's career has endangered the country's security.
6. HARD TIMES AGAIN FOR THE EUROZONE: For the first time in three years, the 17 countries that use the euro have fallen back into a recession.
7. WHY DRINKING CAN MAKE YOU FAT: The Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention says that alcohol packs almost as many empty calories as sugary soda.
8. OBAMA, BOEHNER SPAR OVER THE NATION'S WELL-TO-DO: Let taxes rise on the rich, the president urges. That would hurt the economy and stunt job growth, the GOP leader counters.
9. HOW A NEW DISCOVERY COULD AID THE FIGHT AGAINST ALZHEIMER'S: Study of a just-identified variant gene might reveal ways to prevent the mind-robbing disorder.
10. HOW TO KILL 180 MILLION RATS: A helicopter is to begin dropping nearly 22 tons of poison bait to clear out rodents that have overrun the Galapagos Islands.
5 THINGS TO KNOW IN FLORIDA TODAY
1. SENTENCE DELAY SOUGHT FOR CONVICTED TERROR PLOTTER: The lawyer for convicted terrorism plotter Jose Padilla is seeking a delay in his December re-sentencing hearing to allow time for family visits at a South Florida jail.
2. MAN GETS 30 DAYS KILLING BLACK BEAR: A north Florida man who killed a black bear after luring it to his home near Ocala National Forest has been sentenced to 30 days in jail.
3. SLOW DOWN FOR MIGRATING MANATEES: Wildlife officers want boaters to slow down for migrating manatees in Florida. November is Manatee Awareness Month, and officials say manatees move to warmer refuges when temperatures drop.
4. 21 CHARGED FOR POACHED FISH WILDLIFE SALES: State and federal authorities have broken up a ring accused of selling fish and wildlife illegally purchased from poachers and unlicensed hunters and fishermen. Twenty-one suspects were charged Wednesday with more than 200 criminal counts.
5. GOVERNOR WANTS PROBE INTO VOTING DELAYS: Gov. Rick Scott says he wants Florida's top elections official to find out why some counties had long lines and ballot-counting delays in this year's voting.
■ TODAY AND EVERY DAY: Click here for links to recent arrest reports and mug shots in Collier and Lee counties.