Guest Commentary: Paul Meyer – The tale of two cities

For the past few years, I've had questions on how the city runs. This is the reason why I decided to run for one of the city council seats, to better understand the workings of the city. I believed my ideas would help the city move forward and I chose to run as an independent candidate, not with any other persons or groups. I wanted to be able to project my own ideas into the city's workings.

In my quest to gain one of the city council seats, I have learned a lot about Marco Island and how dysfunctional it really is. You have two sides to everything, the City against MICA, condo owners against home owners, young families against the retired, YMCA against Parks and Rec, and the police department and fire department don't see eye to eye. So how can you run a city if you can't get anyone to work together. Just being a candidate, I have been fired at from all sides by some of most unhappy people I have ever met anywhere. They are unhappy at how the city operates but have no positive input other than what can you do for me, I'm a taxpayer. One example at the forums, I was asked about the new Mackle Park building and most who know me, know I support it. The question was "why should I pay for it if I don't use it". My answer is the fire department is there, I don't use it. It is there as part of the community as a service. How can you have an opinion on something if you don't use it or know anything about it. Some people are just unhappy and are very vocal in their unhappiness. But I'm not going stand by and let these people take pot shots at all the candidates. Nine of us stood up and said we can make a difference and help the city move forward. Unless you are willing to do something positive for your community, please stay home and be unhappy. We need positive people in the community and on our city staff if we ever want to be the true paradise that I call home. We need everyone to pay their fair share for all the services the city provides. I don't agree with all the decision made by our city, like the assets purchased and the number of personnel we employ. Just the overhead for the assets such as gas, oil, maintenance and insurance is huge dollars. The pensions that we will have to pay for are mind boggling. In twenty years, most of you will be gone and families like mine will be stuck holding the check.

All said and done, I still love where I live. Until the people of this island can unite to move forward and not dwell on the past, nothing will ever change. Everyone wants change but they are not willing to change themselves. I just hope one day in time that we can become a community and not 16,000 private entities. This run for office has been a life-learning experience for me and my family. That is why I believe I am the smartest candidate for stepping out of this race for a thankless job that pays a whopping $6,000 a year. I have better things to do with my time than listen to the unhappy people of Marco Island. I prefer to live in peace and happiness than to sink into the political quicksand for the next four years.

To all the people who wanted me in that chair, my commitment to you is still there and I want to thank all of you for your love and support. I have made a positive impact on the community and will continue to help the best I can. But this run was starting to change Paul Meyer and I will not change the happy Paul Meyer. To my wife, Mary, I am all yours. To my kids, yes I will still be there to pick you up from school. To the people who know me, you know I get things done. The rest of you will never know. To all the candidates left, good luck on the Tale of Two Cities that will never have a true resolution.

I'm going back to being just Paul Meyer.

© 2012 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Paul: You do not get off that easy. You need to get involved and do your research. You need to study the budgets for Venice, Fl and Palm City, Fl

Your comments above demonstrate a total lack of knowledge and understanding of Civic issues and what it takes to run a City. I did not know that much about you before this LTE, but now I know enough to see that you have no idea about what it takes to serve our City.

Ian_Curtis writes:

Issler, you are a complete bum. You just proved his point.

Ian_Curtis writes:

Bum was not the word I used. It was changed by site.

marcofriend writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

Gee Ed, to think your silent majority supported him and now you throw him in the dirt. Me thinks the others are correct in that you proved his point for him.

soundman writes:

Paul is a well meaning fellow who is sincere in wanting to be the representative of the young people and their families. too bad he felt it necessary to step out at this time. of course his name is still on the ballot and he won't have to endure anymore forums.

2themoon writes:

The fact that the town bum Issler ripped on this guy is enough for me to know i like him. Wish he hung in there.

marconan writes:

Paul,

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

If the challenge is too great & the pay is not enough for you, you made the right choice.

marco97 writes:

Paul if the 6 grand was part of the reason you ran for the office I'm glad you dropped out. I don't think anyone running cares about the small amount of pay except maybe waldack and gibson and we would be better off if they are not re elected. Running for City council is not something you do to make a few extra backs a year.

No_more_cyber_bullying (Inactive) writes:

Marco97,

Good, honest people may feel that you are correct, but then there are others who find a way to benefit far beyond the "pay".

captnjimbo writes:

Difference of opinion does not equate to dysfunctional and we on Marco Island are not afraid to speak up and disagree. The challenge of leadership is to focus on the areas of consensus and quite frankly that is hard to do and few people have the ability to get out of their own skin. That said we need people to serve that have a longer view and some balance of youth would be helpful to us all.

liberator100 writes:

Romney wins in a landslide. For Klaus who does not understand, speak or write English well; that means Obama is history on November 7!

Sparky100 writes:

Paul,
You hit the nail on the head, calling out all the miserable people on both sides of an issue. But I am sure you already knew who they were. While I don’t support you on Mackle Park, I will vote for you. Hopefully others will also, to show the counsel how divisive and mean spirited they really are. I applaud you in your attempt to help move our city forward and wish you the very best, unlike some of the commenter’s above.