GOLDEN GATE 10, LELY 5
GG 7 3 0 0 — 10
LELY 2 0 3 0 — 5
L — Safety, 2:14
GG— Brown 44 pass from Anderson (Rojas kick) 0:12
GG — Rojas 21 FG, 2:57
L — Alfaro 35 FG, 3:40
NAPLES — The Golden Gate Titans held on to a last-breath rally by Lely to win 10-5 and guarantee the Titans a Class 5A-District 12 playoff berth at Lely on Friday night.
The Titans will play Immokalee on Nov. 2 to see which team gets the top playoff spot.
Time ran out as Williamson George caught a Karbiel Dirogene pass, but was heavily covered and tackled at the 2-yard line to preserve the Titans’ win.
“The kids proved that they could play defense at the end,” coach Mike DiGrigoli said. “They made adjustments on the field before I called them.”
He said the game was “heart-wrenching for both teams.”
Lely coach Stacey Stewart was shaken after the loss.
“I told them that they played hard and fought all the way,” he said
For Lely, they fell to 0-2 in the district and out of the playoffs for the fifth straight year.
The Trojans had a final opportunity to win with less than a minute in the game when Dirogene got up from taking a sack to run 41 yards to the Titans 17-yard line for a first down. Dirogene then hit Anderson Joseph with a pass, moving the ball to the 8, setting up the final play.
The Titans’ Breon Brown was the star of the game. He ran for 131 yards in the first half and caught a short pass that he turned into a 44-yard touchdown. He rushed for 181 yards.
Brown’s touchdown came after Lely scored its only points of the first half. Punter Jose Olade’s punt went 52 yards, pinning the Titans at their 2-yard line. Two plays later, quarterback Taylor Anderson recovered a teammates' fumble, and fell on the ball, giving up the safety rather than a Lely touchdown.
Golden Gate led, 7-2, after the first quarter.
A second-quarter interception by the Titans’ Kody Chapman at the Titans 20 started a rather unusual drive. Chapman ran the ball back 30 yards, and Lely was called for a face mask penalty that put the ball at the Lely 35.
The Titans moved the ball to the 20, but then a bad snap and a holding penalty brought the ball back to the Lely 44.
On third-and-34, a handoff, then pass by Brown to Dominic Enyart moved the ball to the 23, where Daniel Rojas kicked a field goal to make the score 10-2 at halftime.
Much of the first half was overshadowed by penalties on both teams. In the first half, Golden Gate was penalized eight times for 80 yards, while Lely was called for 10 penalties for 70 yards. For the game, Golden Gate’s penalties totaled 110 yards and Lely’s 95 yards.
To start the third quarter, Lely mounted a drive that ate up yardage and clock.
But a nearly eight-minute drive ended with just a Sergio Alfaro field goal, making the score 10-5.
Golden Gate had a chance to put the game away with eight minutes left. Brown completed a 2-yard pass to Enyart for a touchdown, but the Titans were called for an ineligible receiver downfield. On fourth and goal from the 7, Lely blocked a Rojas field goal try.
2012 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 8
- Video: Golden Gate clinches postseason berth
- Video: South Fort Myers crushes Island Coast
- Video: Port Charlotte pulls away from Gulf Coast
- Video: Naples clinches district title
- Video: Estero routs Cypress Lake
- Photos: Barron Collier vs. Immokalee
- Photos: Cypress Lake vs. Estero
- Photos: Naples vs. Palmetto Ridge
- Photos: Lely vs. Golden Gate
- Your Photos: Port Charlotte vs. Gulf Coast
- Prep football: Port Charlotte pulls away from Gulf Coast in fourth
- Prep football: Tomaini, Paul connect in waning moments of CSN victory
- Prep football: Barron Collier rallies to upset Immokalee
- Prep football: First Baptist crushes Solid Rock for 7th straight win
- Prep football: South Fort Myers crushes Island Coast in second half
- Prep football: Naples clinches district title with rout of Palmetto Ridge
- Prep football: Northwest Christian outslugs Marco Island Academy
- Prep football: Estero routs Cypress Lake
- Prep football: Moore Haven knocks Neumann from playoff picture
- Prep football: Golden Gate holds off Lely at the end for playoff berth
- Prep Football: Chat, scores, videos, photos and stories from Week 8
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Blog: The Huddle
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone