NORTHWEST CHRISTIAN 56, MARCO ISLAND ACADEMY 26
NWC 8 6 20 22 — 56
MIA 0 6 14 6 — 26
NWC — Roger 55 run (Roger run), 7:20
MIA — Jackson 2 run (run failed), 3:29
NWC — Roger 24 run (run failed), 0:01
NWC — Fundrose 35 fumble return (Roger run), 9:35
MIA — Jackson 3 run (pass failed), 6:32
NWC — Roger 5 run (run failed), 3:24
MIA — Jackson 23 run (Jackson run), 0:56
NWC — Roger 76 kick return (run failed), 0:34
NWC — Roger 43 run (run failed), 9:32
NWC — Jones35 punt return (M. McCorkle pass from Jones), 8:13
MIA — Jackson 5 run (run failed) 7:04
NWC — Roger 42 run (Jones run) 6:11
MARCO ISLAND — Marco Island Academy fell to Miami-Northwest Christian Academy in a 56-26 thriller.
Although Marco Island Academy won the majority of the statistical battles, the Eagles edged out the Manta Rays in big plays. The Manta Rays committed fewer penalties, and they had more offensive plays, first downs and forced more turnovers.
“Dollar for dollar we beat them,” Manta Rays coach Andy Delgado said.
Delgado’s offensive game plan involved drawing the Eagles’ defensive line offside, and his defensive plan was to blitz the Eagles to reduce their offensive snaps.
Delgado said the Manta Rays’ downfall came from the Eagles’ special teams play and the play of Eagles running back Samuel Roger, who scored six touchdowns for the Eagles. Roger carried the ball 16 times for 220 yards.
Roger’s most jaw-dropping play was a 76-yard kick return for a touchdown with 34 seconds remaining in the third quarter. Roger received the kick at the Eagles’ 24-yard-line where he faked a handoff to Dwayne Jones. Roger then weaved between Manta Rays defenders to bring the ball in for a score.
“I’ve been practicing this play for two years,” Rogers said. “Tonight was our first time trying it.”
Marco Island Academy found success moving the ball in the second and third quarter.
Down 28-12 with three minutes remaining in third quarter, Jared Jackson threw a 23-yard pass to Reeves Carlisle, who made an acrobatic catch over a defender. Carlisle reciprocated two plays later with a 22-yard pass of his own to Jackson, which put them deep into Eagle territory. Jackson caught the Eagle defense off-guard and ran for a 23-yard touchdown to bring the Manta Rays within eight points.
Jackson received the most work running the ball with fellow running back Nick Dotson out with a right knee injury.
Jackson had 107 rushing yards on 29 carries and 122 passing yards on 21 attempts. Jackson scored all of the Manta Rays' four touchdowns.
“Just a great game for Jared,” Delgado said. “He had a great game passing the ball and he had a great game running the ball. Jared is really coming around. If we have a support staff of two or three kids, we can be pretty dangerous.”
Marco Island Academy will continue its search for its first varsity win against Gateway Charter next Friday at East Lee High School.
2012 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 8
- Video: Golden Gate clinches postseason berth
- Video: South Fort Myers crushes Island Coast
- Video: Port Charlotte pulls away from Gulf Coast
- Video: Naples clinches district title
- Video: Estero routs Cypress Lake
- Photos: Barron Collier vs. Immokalee
- Photos: Cypress Lake vs. Estero
- Photos: Naples vs. Palmetto Ridge
- Photos: Lely vs. Golden Gate
- Your Photos: Port Charlotte vs. Gulf Coast
- Prep football: Port Charlotte pulls away from Gulf Coast in fourth
- Prep football: Tomaini, Paul connect in waning moments of CSN victory
- Prep football: Barron Collier rallies to upset Immokalee
- Prep football: First Baptist crushes Solid Rock for 7th straight win
- Prep football: South Fort Myers crushes Island Coast in second half
- Prep football: Naples clinches district title with rout of Palmetto Ridge
- Prep football: Northwest Christian outslugs Marco Island Academy
- Prep football: Estero routs Cypress Lake
- Prep football: Moore Haven knocks Neumann from playoff picture
- Prep football: Golden Gate holds off Lely at the end for playoff berth
- Prep Football: Chat, scores, videos, photos and stories from Week 8
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Blog: The Huddle
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone