Letter to the Editor: Aren’t we more than a residential community?

Having just read the MICA survey of City Council candidates, I wish to take strong exception to the vision of Marco Island as expressed by Mr. Amadeo Petricca. He sees Marco as primarily a residential community seemingly to the exclusion of a resort aspect.

I ask you – who among us have not enjoyed the resort amenities of Marco Island with family, friends, and visitors? Weren’t we all visitors once? I ask – where would local businesses be without the people who visit and spend vast sums of money on our Island?

I suggest the success of many Island businesses is in direct proportion to the number of visitors who patronize them. There are simply not enough of us residents to sufficiently support the retail establishments and restaurants year round.

As a 34 year resident once involved in three businesses and having Marco born grandchildren employed here – I ask – what opportunities would there be for young people if not in a thriving resort community? We must have a healthy balance. Last, and perhaps most importantly, growth in all areas AND rising property values will come from more and more visitors seeking a stake on Marco Island with its finite dimensions.

Carol Gore,

Marco Island

© 2012 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

marconan writes:

Carol, I think you have Marco's priorities mixed up. You seem to focus on satisfying businesses & visitors, & understandably so since you were involved in three businesses.

Since the number of Marco's taxpaying residents, seasonal or year round, far outnumber it's businesses, whether you like it or not, Marco is primarily a residential community. The residents do not exist primarily to support businesses or to be obligated to visitors. We paid the price of admission & came here because we liked the way Marco is, not because we expected it to be a thriving resort community with all the associated problems of traffic, crime, drugs, etc. I don't think these will raise property values.

Let's let Marco evolve at it's own pace as it has in the past reflecting the desires of it's residents. And if there is room for more business & visitors, they will come.

For those who wish to live in a thriving resort community as Ms. Gore expressed, there are un-cloistered communities such as Ft. Myers Beach which would welcome them.

"...growth in all areas"

Really, this would lead to more visitors? With that logic, Naples growth restrictions, i.e. heightn and zoning restrictions on 5th Ave should have reduced valuations and visitors.

I believe just the opposite happened. Why? Because it creates a unique setting that is not duplicated and adds to the desirability resulting in a establishing a quality of community.

And your last sentence is very revealing:

"For those who wish to live in a quiet residential community as Mr. Petricca expressed, there are cloistered communities which would welcome them."

I do not believe Mr. Petricca would ask anyone to leave.

Just for the record, can I assume you would be in favor of a conference center developed by the Marriott or Hilton in years going forward? That would truly increase visitors, but I do not believe the valuations .......

But then again, you ask folks who wish to live in a quiet neighborhood, to seek another location. This begs the question, who is the intolerant one?

Nice neighbor?

MrBreeze writes:

Carol is the example of Marco island's future if we let the people take over who want to glean from the island and ignore the residents.

Carol is telling right now to like it, fit in, or leave. If the horse carriage needs to park where your house is located get ready for the dozer. If a t-shirt shop needs space watch out you are next.

This is the hidden agenda I have been talking about for years. The bridge was just phase one. Phase two will include expansion of the "business disdrict" and phase three will be the complete removal of the "Deltona" style of living being replaced by multi-million dollar estates for the folks who want to live the elite lifestyle.

This plan can and will move forward if the Council and Goverment of the island is in control by people like Carol.

Carol, I find your comments offensive and ignorant. I purchased my home for just what you do not stand for peace and quiet. You and the others who want to use the island as your own carnival where you fleece the tourists need to pack up tent and find a new flee circus to land in. I for one do not support local business except for a couple. Most are just there to take advantage of the customer with high prices.

Wake up people there are many more like Carol waiting to kick you off the island for their gain. I for one think the residents are smarter and more determined then folks like Carol and will prevail.

Carol, I will stay right where I am thanks. You will see my support by flying my Pirate flag.

2themoon writes:

Careful folks Aceri is not going up on his vision of West Miami here on Marco, and this letter from a soldier of his proves it.

Is this the new dividing wall of us against them? Folks who want a commercial Ft. Myers Beach/Myrtle Beach vs folks who want a residential community with a beautiful beach which attracts tourists and vacationers. Folks who want to expand commercial/shopping to attract more off island visitors that can now arrive on a newly constructed bridge with expanded access or a city that essentially meets the needs of long term residents that arrived as visitors.

Naples made a choice to determine its commercial image downtown and along 5th Ave, NOW it is time Marco Island to define its image.

Mr. Breeze has shown the plans laid out by the city and Mr. Arceri acolytes. They all include expansion, from fire and police, infrastructure, and transfer of density credits to increase density to areas closer to single family residences!

To maintain a small tropical island requires a strong commitment to a vision that will be constantly bombarded from the Chamber of Commerce and proponents of city services. There is simply too much at stake, and once you put up a parking lot, or expand a commercial zone by transferring credits, or expanding a community center to the point it more than exceeds the capacity of its residents, the likelihood of preserving a small town paradise is diminished.

It is all interrelated, folks, and preservation requires a foresight that reaches decades into the future. Change or expansion for its own sake is not good planning. I am still trying to understand why there is so much tweaking in a plan not even 50 years old, which is new in the history records of planned communities.

blogsmog writes:

Ajms3 for president!

marco826 writes:

This letter and reply's are useless fodder...Much ado about nothing....Get a life...

MrBreeze writes:

agm3s you rock!!! Spot on brother. I still say we need you to run. Think it over.

Marco 826 you are in the dark. Wake up.

Klaus, you are a smart guy when it comes to europe and it's history. Does the expansion and takeover Carol is writing about remind you of some event in history past or someone in history?

marconan writes:

Carol, I think your letter has unwittingly promoted more votes for Mr. Petricca.

Thanks for enlightening me, I think I will vote for him.

Well, here we have blogs of 10 people who were voting for Mr Pettricia anyway, Carol. Please be assured that your comments and your vision for Marco is that shared by the vast majority over the last 3 elections.
We can only hope that people turn out and vote as the more voters there are the better the odds are that Mr Recker, Gibson, Honig and ? will be elected and maintain the progress and vision that their constituents voted them in for.
There are a solid 2,000 votes for Mr. Sacher, Perttrici and Hoenecker. That still leaves 11,000 votes (assumin 100% voting). If we get a 70-75% turnout, there should be no porblems with the outcome, based on what the voters have expressed in the last elections.
Please make sure to get everyone you know to vote!!!!!
Your Letter is right to point. This election is a matter of the vision for the future of Marco Island.

JohninMarco writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

Please make sure to get everyone you know to vote!!!!!

Yes lets vote for Gibson. Does not pay city taxes, refuses to tell people IF he lives on Marco, voted to purchase a 450K fire boat that Naples brough for 275K.

MrBreeze writes:

Mr. Issler again you confuse me. I read your responses which are always pro leadership. Has there ever been a time when you stand back and think that what other people say and write may just have some basis to it? Or do as you always do and just say the majority will prevail.

The biggest problem with Marco Island voters is the system does not allow the "Part Time" resident to vote. Therefore the "majority" as you call it are a very small group of "full time" residents who believe make up the opinion of the island.

The island is divided that is clear. It will get worse before it gets better. I see that you are aligned with the group and mindset that bigger is better. Not always the case. Big homes, large commercial districts, development makes you feel good as you believe your asset of the home increases in value. False belief.

Quality of life on Marco Island is the single biggest concern facing all "owners" of property going forward as of today. The impact of the recession has brought different buying trends to the island. This island was always intended for "retired living" period. That itself is will change status. The "Mackel Bros Plan will soon be over".

With this change will bring more and more development with large homes and large costs. The small "Deltona" homes will be purchased and demolished making way for the "redevelopment" of the new phase of Marco Island.

The problem Mr. Issler is this. The team you are so rah,rah, for may one day see you as not as same stature as they are. Your home may not be big enough or meeting the criteria of the "new island look". What then Mr. Issler? Will you then get out of the way of development???

I see it this way. I love my Deltona Home. If a new Million dollar home is built next door to mine it does not hurt me at all. In fact the million dollar home is DECREASED in value due to my Deltona home. Do you think someone is going to spend a million dollars to live next to my Deltona 1969 paid for home???? My cheap living, cheap cooling, low water use home that they have spent a million bucks on? My SOH Homesteaded tax home while they pay to the moon tax on the million dollar home? This will be the divide that will take a very long time to change on this island. So keep it up Mr. Issler you just make my future brighter with your groups plan.

People with small self esteem need large homes. People with big ego's need big big homes. I for one need neither. I need the Beech, peace and quiet, security and serenity and a place to polish my hot rod and I am happy. So I say build it happy to be your neighbor.

in response to lauralbi1:

Please make sure to get everyone you know to vote!!!!!

Is your fourth choice???? Mr. Meyer or Mr. Waldack? quite a dilemma?

Now lets review your math. May I suggest you research the actual voting tally to determine the level of voting. Now if the turnout is say 4500 votes, do you or I have a concern?

I understand your position, just as I understood Mr. Magel's position when he said clearly to me that the referendum on a subsidized 24 hr clinic would pass, because he said it would, and referenced a prior pancake breakfast as testimony to its support in the community.

Are you being coached because you seem so confident in outcomes?

In any event, thanks for clearing that up, because history matters and choices do matter.

Although my choices clearly differ from yours, I can tell you this, I hear the sound from those who are concerned with spending and the plight of residents that wish to live on this island without the excessive encumbrance of debt that one council/city hired consultant described as "twice" the normal.

I have no personal ill will to the other candidates, but as Recker, Gibson, and Waldack continue on the path of spending and supporting the expansion of city services and capital, to which I will include Mr. Meyer based on his public positions of the community center-especially the size. Again, their positions normally go to a "bigger is better", which I believe is for the entertainment of folks beyond the needs our island. Hey, the argument, growth is good, especially for visitors, sounds great, but they do not pay the ad valorem to support such an excess structure including maintenance and support of public facilities. And the fee revenue does not provide enough to pay for support staff and maintenance. But the argument was it would lead to higher property valuations.

I saw growth, and it was the growth in number of vacant lots. Is that an increase in property valuation????? Which is quite telling, all the while, the city is expanding services in the same time frame.

So for me the choices are clear and who you vote for can have a major impact.

I know Mr. Magel and yourself will portray me as a naysayer, as he has others; since the city's birth there has been a significant growth in conversion of single family residences to vacant lots. For me that tells the tale, as to how the city manages a community to the extent that there are now more vacant residential lots than when the city was incorporated. Now that is the fingerprint the city has laid upon this island!

And it seems everything the city lays its hands on must be expanded, to now include fire boats and more local police personnel, to a super-sized community center with rooms to handle every conceivable hobby known to mankind.

Is there a war on single family homes?

GorgonZola writes:

Before you vote for anyone, especially the incumbents, we strongly recommend you ask EACH one exactly how much time he spends on Marco Island all year round, and when he is off the Island, how he gets his city hall package and who pays for the FedEx or whatever delivery service he uses. You may (or may not) find out that he has his hand in YOUR pocket!
Ask each one of them how well he handles his own finances and before he is too quick to point out someone else's money problems, ask him if he is all paid up to the IRS and if the bank owns his house.
Match up what you KNOW - FACTS-- man, with the garbage and lies you read in the fiction they all gave to the MICA Wave. We didn't know they could be such comedians! (or blow such smoke)
Only when it's OUR futures they are playing with, it's not so funny.
We need another Ted Forcht who really cared about what his constituents thought -- because he took the time to ASK them before he voted. As far as we have been able to figure, only two do not have a personal agenda, no matter what the others say. Have they ever asked YOU what you want, or asked HOW they should vote on an issue?
How about transparency? It doesn't exist here. Try asking a specific question about budget and you'll see a perfect example of a buck being passed, and do you know where it will stop? You will most likely be told to go and look at it online, where 'obfuscation for the nation' is in full bloom and you'll be back to square one.
Trust us, buddies, you don't have a clue about just how messed up things are, and if you think any of the candidates is going to be 'a savior' rather than merely a replacement, you are deluding yourself.
Woe is us!

MrBreeze writes:

agm3s Again you are right. My outlook at phrase 3 of the future Marco Island plan: Eliminate ALL DELTONA HOMES and make way for new estate homes with large tax base.

This is nothing new. They teach this to City planners all over the county on how to "Take" property for re-development. It has always been targeted towards water front/beech communities where older housing is the majority.

This should be the first topic of a candidate.

OutWithTheOldies writes:

I, for one, look forward to seeing that 'blehhh' deltona home next door razed to the ground. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to wait for the old geezers to kick the bucket. Then again, with all that fried food and wax fumes from the car polish- may not be all that long. In fact I'll buy that house and demo it myself, use it to put in a putting green for my McMansion.

FECOYLE writes:

Perhaps when we get to be like FT Myers Beach the pro business, anti residential community folks will be happy

MrBreeze writes:

Outwiththeoldies, The car polish is pure carnuba wax, native to earth. No fried food veg only. Age 49 hope to be around long time.

Your checkbook is not quite large enough to buy my "blehhh" Deltona. As Mr. Rogers said "won't ya be my neighbor"

Keep building your Mcmansion I love my SOH and cheap living. Love to live next door to you although you may not quite like me.

OutWithTheOldies writes:

I love everyone! I just like my golf clubs better.

www.rebuildmarco.com