NORTH PORT 7, LELY 0
NP 7 0 0 0 — 7
L 0 0 0 0 — 0
NP — White 1 run (Hoggarth kick) 0:38
NAPLES — Homecoming turned sour for Lely as North Port controlled the ball much of the game for a 7-0 win on Friday night.
The Trojans’ last chance came with 2:50 left in the game. The Lely defense pressured the North Port punter who got off a poor kick, giving Lely possession at the Bobcats 30. But the Trojans couldn’t move the ball, and their last hope died when Karbiel Dirogene ran for nine yards on fourth down, ending up a yard short of Lely keeping the ball..
North Port had to punt after four downs, but Lely got the ball with just 33 seconds left. Again the Lely offense stalled to end the game.
In a huddle after the game coach Stacey Stewart said that when one person makes a mistake it hurts the family.
”We did not play fundamental football, blocking or tackling,” Stewart said. “Only special teams played well.
“We will be going back to fundamentals on how we tackle and how we block as Lely Trojan players. This (game) should be fuel for this week’s practice.”
“Yes sir,’ said the team.
The only near score for Lely was pass play from Zach Gober to Dirogene that was broken up in the Bobcats end zone late in the fourth quarter.
In the first half, Lely had the ball for only 12 plays and had no first downs. The Trojans did not get a first down until late in the third quarter.
North Port scored with 30 seconds left in the first quarter after quarterback Trent White connected with receiver Cody Janski, who was pulled down at the Lely 4-yard line.
Lely held for three downs before White sneaked in from a yard out for the only score.
The score could have been much worse, but two breakaways for touchdowns by the Bobcats were called back on North Port penalties.
Ro’Derick Spears broke off the line of scrimmage, racing 49 yards for a would-be score and Robenson Saintard broke four tackles on what would have been a 42-yard score, again called back on a penalty.
For the most part Lely played strong defense, but gave up key plays that kept North Port in control of the football.
For the night, Lely had just four first downs. North Port had 12.
In total yards, Lely had 73 and North Port 182. White had 131 passing, compared to 10 for Lely.
2012 PREPZONE FOOTBALL: WEEK 4
- Video: Cougars conquer the Titans
- Video: North Port holds off Lely
- Video: SFM dominates Bishop Verot
- Video: Naples overpowered Gulf Coast
- Video: Lions roar past SFCA
- Video: CSN routs Oasis
- Photos: Barron Collier vs. Golden Gate
- Photos: Naples vs. Gulf Coast
- Photos: South Fort Myers vs. Bishop Verot
- Photos: North Port vs. Lely
- Your Photos: Gulf Coast Fans
- Your Photos: Golden Gate Band & Fans
- Prep football: Barron Collier switches things up to beat Golden Gate
- Prep football: Naples High overwhelms struggling Gulf Coast
- Prep football: Bueltel leads way as Lions roar past SFCA
- Prep football: South Fort Myers dominates Bishop Verot again
- Prep football: CSN back on track with rout of Oasis
- Prep football: North Port holds off Lely
- Prep football: Estero falls apart at East Lee
- Prep football: Port Charlotte controls ball, beats Palmetto Ridge
- Prep football: Lake Wales has Immokalee's number again
- Prep football: Neumann jumps on Out-of-Door early
- Prep football: Friday night's scores from around the state of Florida
- Prep Football: Chat, scores, videos, photos and stories from Week 4
- Participate: Send us your fan photos
- Database: Search high school football scores in Collier, south Lee
- Blog: The Huddle
- Podcast: The Huddle
- Facebook: Keep up with all the PrepZone action
- Twitter: Follow @ndn_prepzone on Twitter for the latest updates
- Get complete high school sports coverage at naplesnews.com/prepzone