Lazaro Arbos on American Idol
- Photos: Lazaro Arbos on American Idol Mar 1st 2013 Lazaro Arbos on American Idol
- Collier's Lazaro Arbos knocked off American Idol
- Nicki Minaj: ‘Idol’ performance by Naples’ Lazaro Arbos ‘crack juice’
- Fans loyal to Naples’ Lazaro Arbos on ‘American Idol’ despite scathing reviews
- Local ‘Idol’ contestant gets nod from fans, makes show’s Top 10
- Local 'Idol' contestant already a star in eyes of friends, family
- Lazaro Arbos' local coach cheering a 'beautiful' voice tonight
- Hello to Hollywood: Local singer enjoying fame on American Idol
- Naples contestant's stutter hasn't kept him from singing his way to 'Idol'
- Twitter: Follow Lazaro Arbos on his American Idol journey @LazaroAI12 for the latest updates
- Check out videos and stories about Lazaro Arbos' on the NDN American Idol page
NEW YORK (AP) — "American Idol" contestant Lazaro Arbos won the hearts of viewers not just because of his singing, but because of his personal story.
The 22-year-old from the Naoles-area suffers from a severe stutter that disappears while he's performing. Though the Cuban-born performer acknowledges that his speech impediment got him attention, he doesn't think it won him votes.
"I think that I had really good songs. I had bad songs, but I had really good ones (too) and when I messed up, they stopped voting for me," he said in an interview Monday.
He went on to say that if he didn't stutter, he thinks he would have lasted longer on the show.
Abros placed sixth on "Idol," which airs Wednesdays and Thursdays on Fox. He was voted off last week and was the last male competitor this season.
He said he bonded closely with the remaining girls on the show and he's interested in tuning in this week to see who gets sent home.
"I'm excited to see what songs they pick and how they do and who goes home next, as bad as that sounds," he said, smiling.
Abros will hit the road when the "Idol" contestants launch a tour this summer.