Former Collier deputy Bullock's molestation trial delayed again, until August

In this 2011 file photo, Charles Bullock, a former Collier County sheriff's deputy, who is charged with lewd or lascivious battery of a child over 12 and official misconduct, appeared before Judge Fred Hardt on Wednesday, March 16, 2011. Bullock's pre-trial hearing is scheduled for June 29th. Greg Kahn/File photo

In this 2011 file photo, Charles Bullock, a former Collier County sheriff's deputy, who is charged with lewd or lascivious battery of a child over 12 and official misconduct, appeared before Judge Fred Hardt on Wednesday, March 16, 2011. Bullock's pre-trial hearing is scheduled for June 29th. Greg Kahn/File photo

— The trial for a former Collier County sheriff’s deputy accused of sex crimes against a teenager has been pushed back to August at the earliest.

Prosecutors in the three-year-old case against Charles Bullock said Wednesday they’re still determining whether to call a therapist at trial, requiring a delay. A trial date had been scheduled for April 29.

Bullock, 54, is accused of molesting and performing a sex act on a then-high school freshman in a Coastland Center mall bathroom. He faces single charges of lewd and lascivious battery on a person between the ages of 12 and 16, and official misconduct involving falsifying public records.

Assistant State Attorney Steve Maresca didn’t disclose the type of therapist being considered, or what the expert’s testimony would entail.

If the therapist is called, a deposition would be needed. Maresca also indicated the introduction of the witness likely would be challenged by Bullock’s lawyer, Jerry Berry.

“This is just something that came up this week,” Maresca said. “It may not even happen. It’s a possibility.”

A civil lawyer representing the teen’s family has said the alleged victim was taunted by classmates following Bullock’s arrest and suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. It’s not known whether the therapist’s testimony is related.

Bullock remains free on $35,000 bond. He attended Wednesday’s hearing but didn’t speak about the case.

© 2013 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Stories

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features