Child near lightning strike being evaluated at hospital

Lightning on Marco – Submitted by Gene M. Koetting

Lightning on Marco – Submitted by Gene M. Koetting

— A child was taken to an area hospital to be evaluated after lightning struck a chickee hut Sunday afternoon at a Marco Island resort.

Around 5:30 p.m., first responders were called to the Marriott Beach Resort, 400 S. Collier Blvd., where they found a chickee hut on fire, according to Deputy Chief Chris Byrne of the Marco Island Fire-Rescue Department. Bystanders told them the fire started because of a lightning strike, he said.

A boy who was trying to get shelter from the storm underneath the chickee hut was complaining of symptoms of an indirect strike, Byrne said. He was taken to the hospital to be evaluated for non-life-threatening injuries, Byrne said.

This comes one month after a tourist from Pennsylvania was injured when a lightning bolt struck close to her at the Marco Beach Ocean Resort on July 9. The woman did not suffer any permanent damage.

© 2013 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Stories

Comments » 2

bondie writes:

All of Marco's resorts automatically should warn all visitors to please stay inside during a lighting storm. I know that is only common sense, but many visitors from far away places may not be aware of the lightning's power here on Marco.

26yearsonmarco writes:

Why not ask the City to install warning devices like there are on Golf Courses???

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features