Letter to the Editor: Why is Marco Island wasting money

In my opinion this city is wasting money. I drove to the farmers market the other morning. I watched people drive through stop signs without slowing down, and as I am driving the speed limit cars are going by me as if I were stopped.

Did I see any law enforcement? No!

I pull into the farmers market and see three police/law enforcement vehicles with officers inside each, and two with emergency lights flashing. I thought maybe there was crime wave at the farmers market.

Obviously this protection of the farmers market was thought out very thoroughly: have officers sit in the city-owned vehicles, wasting gas and keeping someone from patrolling and enforcing the laws for the rest of Marco Island.

Why not use auxiliary officers or off-duty offices to patrol this “high-crime area”; of the farmers market? The rest of the people on Marco Island deserve better and should not pay someone just to side in a city vehicle and do nothing.

Another option would be to remove the speed limit signs and/or stop signs, because in my opinion, there is no one to enforce these laws. As I talk to people, I hear how inadequate they feel our law enforcement is here on Marco Island enforcing traffic laws.

Why are we wasting money?

Roger Lundin

Marco Island

© 2013 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

RayPray writes:

"officers sit in the city-owned vehicles, wasting gas"

For sure, our Keystone Kops are urgently needed at the Farmer Market.

Just last week, while our local shamuses were temporarily distracted by donuts, I myself witnessed several refractory fruit felons trying surreptitiously to squeeze a defenseless pineapple....

"Another option would be to remove the speed limit signs and/or stop signs"

A better idea since it would enable all the old guys around me who bought Corvettes actually to try out the accelerator peddle on their vehicles....

marcoislander writes:

You must be one of those 100 year old people on the road that if you see someone 1/4 mile away at a stop sign you wait. or one of those that moves along collier at 15mph Wake up there is no crime on marco The Keystone cops are there because people like you are backing out of their parking spots without looking ramming into other cars without even knowing Maybe back home is a better spot for you

26yearsonmarco writes:

in response to marcoislander:

Tell your story to the 91 year old woman killed on her own street by one of your generation blowing through a Stop Sign at a high rate of speed.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to 26yearsonmarco:

His nick name is Pistol Pete! Hopefully never again on Marco Island streets!

The Farmers Market is a break even proposition due to all the expenses that it incurs each week. The booth fees should be higher. The City should be making money from this event. But the Police expenses are paid back to the City by the Farmers Market. Also, the 50-60 City man-hours each week dedicated to the Farmers Market are paid back (I hope) to the City by the Farmers Market.
I live very close, but have never been to the Farmers Market. I assume that the 2000 residents that attend are getting their moneys worth.
Is it worth having ?? Just a question for the populous. I thought the City was making tons of revenue from the Farmers Market. I was shocked to learn, about 2 months ago, that it is a break even.

marcoislander writes:

in response to 26yearsonmarco:

26yearsonmarco wake up i dont think i can tell the poor women who lost her life. i am not talking about the idiots that drink and drive or speed or go through stop signs. i am talking normal law abiding people.

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to RayPray:

"officers sit in the city-owned vehicles, wasting gas"

For sure, our Keystone Kops are urgently needed at the Farmer Market.

"Another option would be to remove the speed limit signs and/or stop signs"

can not believe I agree with some of your comments even though you called me a hoe..but leave the guys in the corvettes alone..good for them!!!!

marco826 writes:

Leave the Farmers Market out of this. Its a great idea for Marco. The crowds seem to enjoy it and yes, a police presence is valid. Good work if you can get it.

happy6 writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

ed...are you off your meds...what the h did you just say..

happyhorowitz34145 writes:

DOES ANYONE STOP TO THINK THAT IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE COPS THAT YOU SEE AT THE FARMERS MARKET.
IT IS THE DECISION OF THIER CHIEF OR CAPTAIN TO WASTE DOLLARS BY PUTTING THEM THERE.
HUNTER, BAIR, AND EVEN (FIRE MARSHALL BILL) MURPHY ARE THE REAL CULPRITS OF TAXPAYER WASTE.
IT IS AMAZING THAT MURPHY, AS INEPT AS HE IS, MAKES OVER $200K A YEAR, (BETWEEN HIS EAST COAST PAY AND MARCO PAY).
I JUST CAN'T IMAGINE HOW MUCH HUNTER MAKES WITH ALL HIS PRIOR STELLAR CAREERS.

Toom many bloggers want to make their comments personal and it really gets in the way of meaningful dialogue. The LTE complains about the waste of City money for having Police at the Farmers Market. My point was clearly stated that the Police are paid by the Farmers Market "income", not by the City. My other point that I expressed was whether or not, as a break even event, is the Farmers Market worth having ?? 2,000 residents, about 15% of the full time, non-season residents, attend this event. For those that do attend, it appears to be a fun time. I just feel that the City should be making money from this event and not just breaking even.

captnjimbo writes:

Trivial.

My observation is that we have a good local police and they are not everywhere at the same time because they don't need to be. You can also see them frequently policing speeding as folk careen down the Jolly Bridge and again partially down the road between San Marco and the Marriott as well as winterberry and east San Marco...strategic locations in my opinion. Also, if you ever call the police the response is within minutes. I think we are pretty lucky actually.

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to lauralbi1:

lauralb1
I agree with you about the bloggers they can not stay on the subject..they are all over the place..people stay on point!!!

seasonala writes: