Bye bye, bile? Websites try to nix nasty comments

FILE - In this Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2013 photo illustration, hands type on a computer keyboard in Los Angeles. Companies including Google and the Huffington Post are trying everything from deploying moderators to forcing people to use their real names in order to restore civil discourse on online comment threads. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)

— Mix blatant bigotry with poor spelling. Add a dash of ALL CAPS. Top it off with a violent threat. And there you have it: A recipe for the worst of online comments, scourge of the Internet.

Blame anonymity, blame politicians, blame human nature. But a growing number of websites are reining in the Wild West of online commentary. Companies including Google and the Huffington Post are trying everything from deploying moderators to forcing people to use their real names in order to restore civil discourse. Some sites, such as Popular Science, are banning comments altogether.

The efforts put sites in a delicate position. User comments add a lively, fresh feel to videos, stories and music. And, of course, the longer visitors stay to read the posts, and the more they come back, the more a site can charge for advertising.

What websites don't want is the kind of off-putting nastiness that spewed forth under a recent CNN.com article about the Affordable Care Act.

"If it were up to me, you progressive libs destroying this country would be hanging from the gallows for treason. People are awakening though. If I were you, I'd be very afraid," wrote someone using the name "JBlaze."

YouTube, which is owned by Google, has long been home to some of the Internet's most juvenile and grammatically incorrect comments. The site caused a stir last month when it began requiring people to log into Google Plus to write a comment. Besides herding users to Google's unified network, the company says the move is designed to raise the level of discourse in the conversations that play out under YouTube videos.

One such video, a Cheerios commercial featuring an interracial family, met with such a barrage of racist responses on YouTube in May that General Mills shut down comments on it altogether.

"Starting this week, when you're watching a video on YouTube, you'll see comments sorted by people you care about first," wrote YouTube product manager Nundu Janakiram and principal engineer Yonatan Zunger in a blog post announcing the changes. "If you post videos on your channel, you also have more tools to moderate welcome and unwelcome conversations. This way, YouTube comments will become conversations that matter to you."

Anonymity has always been a major appeal of online life. Two decades ago, The New Yorker magazine ran a cartoon with a dog sitting in front of a computer, one paw on the keyboard. The caption read: "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog." At its best, anonymity allows people to speak freely without repercussions. It allows whistle blowers and protesters to espouse unpopular opinions. At its worst, it allows people to spout off without repercussions. It gives trolls and bullies license to pick arguments, threaten and abuse.

But anonymity has been eroding in recent years. On the Internet, many people may know not only your name, but also your latest musings, the songs you've listened to, your job history, who your friends are and even the brand of soap you prefer.

"It's not so much that our offline lives are going online, it's that our offline and online lives are more integrated," says Mark Lashley, a professor of communications at La Salle University in Philadelphia. Facebook, which requires people to use their real names, played a big part in the seismic shift.

"The way the Web was developed, it was unique in that the avatar and the handle were always these things people used to go by. It did develop into a Wild West situation," he says, adding that it's no surprise that Google and other companies are going this route. "As more people go online and we put more of our lives online, we should be held accountable for things we say."

Nearly three-quarters of teens and young adults think people are more likely to use discriminatory language online or in text messages than in face to face conversations, according to a recent poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research and MTV. The poll didn't distinguish between anonymous comments and those with real identities attached.

The Huffington Post is also clamping down on vicious comments. In addition to employing 40 human moderators who sift through readers' posts for racism, homophobia, hate speech and the like, the AOL-owned news site is also chipping away at anonymous commenting. Previously, anyone could respond to an article posted on the site by creating an account, without tying it to an email address. This fall, HuffPo began requiring people to verify their identity by connecting their accounts to an email address, but that didn't appear to be enough and the site now also asks commenters to log in using a verified Facebook account.

"We are reaching a place where the Internet is growing up," says Jimmy Soni, managing editor of HuffPo. "These changes represent a maturing (online) environment."

Soni says the changes have already made a difference in the quality of the comments. The lack of total anonymity, while not a failsafe method, offers people a "gut check moment," he says. There have been "significantly fewer things that we would not be able to share with our mothers," in the HuffPo comments section since the change, Soni says.

Newspapers are also turning toward regulated comments. Of the largest 137 U.S. newspapers - those with daily circulation above 50,000 - nearly 49 percent ban anonymous commenting, according to Arthur Santana, assistant communications professor at the University of Houston. Nearly 42 percent allow anonymity, while 9 percent do not have comments at all.

Curbing anonymity doesn't always help. Plenty of people are fine attaching their names and Facebook profiles to poorly spelled outbursts that live on long after their fury has passed.

In some cases, sites have gone further. Popular Science, the 141-year-old science and technology magazine, stopped allowing comments of any kind on its news articles in September.

While highlighting responses to articles about climate change and abortion, Popular Science online editor Suzanne LaBarre announced the change and explained in a blog post that comments can be "bad for science."

Because "comments sections tend to be a grotesque reflection of the media culture surrounding them, the cynical work of undermining bedrock scientific doctrine is now being done beneath our own stories," wrote LaBarre.

We can't wait to see the response to this story.

MIOCENE1 writes:

When anonymous comments are eliminated, there will be nothing left except those who support Christianity, pro birth, prayer in government, marriage amendments, patriotism, and all other Social and Religious Conservatism; which is usually safe to espouse without risk of a wide range of retaliation against person and family in the neighborhood and at the workplace.

The end result is an eddy current of religious and political Inbreeding; meaning little or no influx of dissenting ideas; resulting in polite ignorance reinforced through circular reasoning.

Regardless of the name-calling; and “bigots” who were usually defined as such because they criticized religious institutions; the "anonymous" concept is a healthy one in that unpopular views could be added to status quo opinions and beliefs; thereby encouraging readers to "think"; rather then to continue reinforcing preexisting conclusions.

captnjimbo writes:

There is abuse, even on this site, but most folks should be able to filter the worthless while still getting some awesome commentary from those that are making a healthy contribution. Anonymous blogging is freedom of expression without consequence...in the end probably not a bad thing. I think the Eagle's approach of occasionally removing nastiness while a form of censorship is understandable and can be tolerated...it is after all their website. Just an opinion.

RayPray writes:

in response to captnjimbo:

"Anonymous blogging is freedom of expression without consequence...in the end probably not a bad thing. I think the Eagle's approach of occasionally removing nastiness while a form of censorship is understandable and can be tolerated...it is after all their website."

>>> All true. But the only thing I would remove is commercial spam. When you delete a comment, the rest just wonder how on- the-mark it was, that it must be censored.

>>> For publications, the reality is how many people would even peruse these clumsy, mostly jejune articles and smarmy 'guest' columns were it not for the fun of the blogs?

Konfuzius writes:

in response to Genuine:

I am against any censure so far you blog opinions. I was banned with my real name and with anonymous blogger names because some of our so highly American freedom fighter can not take my opinion. They forced Marco.news to ban me and Marco.news did so. Unfortunately the level Marco.news set is different. This two bloggers above Genuine and hascle are high level cads. So is liberator100. Maybe all better known as islandeye. But record holder in removed by the staff. I do not like banning them. But it is not my policy. A democracy must handle even people like them. Censure is no alternative.
That is China and Russia or Cuba.

captnjimbo writes:

Congress is one thing...a privately owned website is another.

harrisbill239#279036 writes:

in response to MIOCENE1:

To MIOCENE1 - I fully believe in and support Christianity, pro birth, prayer in government and schools, marriage, patriotism, and all other Social and Religious Conservatism. And I don't need to be "anonymous"; I'm quite comfortable with my beliefs and signing my comments. Call me conservative, but I think all these results would be a good thing. Some of the worst things we, as a society, have done in the last 50 or 60 years is to get away from Christianity, prayer in schools and government, the Golden Rule, and Patriotism. Especially during this holiday season - doesn't anyone realize that you can't have Christmas without Christ? Don't any of you remember what Christmas is really all about? "Thinking" and challenging the rules is all well and good, but a society without rules is a lost society. If you can't hope and dream for a better place, a better good, a better future; what can you expect other than tyranny and anarchy? Merry Christmas, Mele Kalikimaka and Happy New Year - in Christ's name! Yours Truly, Bill Harris

MIOCENE1 writes:

Bill:
Thanks for reading and thanks for responding.

As you said: Conservative viewpoints are always "comfortable" to espouse; and as I also said in my post: Unpopular views can pose a problem for those who challenge the conservative status quo.

ie. 2000 years ago the Liberal Jesus challenged the status quo Conservative Jewish Religion and its relationship with the Roman Government; and it got him crucified; along with a lot of his Liberal followers who didn't remain anonymous.

Anonymous comments are a safe way for some to talk "religion and politics" with their neighbors and still feel welcome at a 'block party' in Ave Maria.

MIOCENE (PAREIDOLIA)

tikihut2206 writes:

I believe in freedom of speech and I will reveal my name...what I don't agree with is when people like raypray call me a hoe and others say they don't want people for New Jersey here because they don't like our style.. I know raypray is his real name...how about you konfusious...mine is Michele Barone!!!!

tikihut2206 writes:

and feel to goggle me...I will help you..I own a unit at the Royal Seafarer..if you fools remember I asked for a face to face when I was there in October...never replied..you all hide behind your horse feathers...know that will be removed!!!!

tikihut2206 writes:

I would never use the word horse feathers..can you pick some other word for what I said

Konfuzius writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

How old are you? You blog like a drunk. Or is it Alzheimer?

in response to captnjimbo:

Excellent and may I be a bit more pity! Anonymous blogging allows the comment to be appreciated or dismissed on the merits of the comment and NOT necessarily the name or status of the commenter.

And blogging allows for immediate distribution, no editorial board review other than keeping the comments within tolerable and civil constraints expressed in the rules of engagement.

Note: consider the competing local newspaper website, Sun Times which gets essentially no comments. May be related to lack of anonymity?

RayPray writes:

in response to harrisbill239#279036:

"Call me conservative"

I'd call you a numbskull...

A genuine conservative understands that Christianity and other organized religions are just fairy tales sold to adults and a scam perpetrated by sundry high priests & imams to fatten off the 10% they can cozen out of your God-Fearers & True Believers.

A real conservative would scan the demographics of the Obama Food Stamp Nation and then require forced abortion -- maybe even retroactive abortion -- for those welfare parasite broods seeking to languish off the earnings of the productive taxpayers.

A true conservative would also welcome your promotion of marriage, especially of Gay & Plural Nuptials.

A true conservative would realize that patriotism, as sold by the government & its stooges, is not merely the last refuge of scoundrels, but often the first....

RayPray writes:

in response to MIOCENE1:

Bill:
Thanks for reading and thanks for responding.

MIOCENE (PAREIDOLIA)

"Liberal Jesus challenged the status quo Conservative Jewish Religion and its relationship with the Roman Government; and it got him crucified; along with a lot of his Liberal followers who didn't remain anonymous."

>>> Such an interpretation is historically perverse.

>>> Jesus did not fit into this simple type schema. If anything, the Pharisees were the liberal establishment in their accommodation of Roman rule. Then how would you classify the Essenes? Would you portray Saint Paul as an exponent of Liberal ideology?

RayPray writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

Don't try to hoodwink us!

I learned all I need to know about Jersey from the recent movie "Out of the Furnace"

And I know your true name is DeGroat....

in response to RayPray:

>>> Such an interpretation is historically perverse.

Wow! This is the nectar of the bloggers. I would never or be hard pressed to equate Jesus within a liberal vs Conservative framework...but then again, I believe in the forgiveness of sin and mercy of God and the resurrection of Jesus.

While others may fall to their death as atheists, they are governed by the laws of nature, or is it God's nature?

Raypray, love it!

captnjimbo writes:

in response to ajm3s:

In my case I do not play on the Sun Times Web for exactly the reason you stated. Your main point...quick and unfiltered...also exactly right on target...you are "pithy" indeed.

Good.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to ajm3s:

Raypray, love it!

"Robert W. Wilson, a retired hedge-fund founder who became a major philanthropist, donating about $600 million to causes that included environmental conservation, the American Civil Liberties Union and Roman Catholic education (though he was an openly gay atheist), died on Monday in Manhattan. He was 87."

Michael Corleone OF THE GODFATHER TRILOGY PAID THE SAME AMOUNT FOR THE SAME REASON.
Finally they can not live with their lifetime lie be part outside of the society.
They are victims of the Holy Roman Catholic Church brainwashed of sin and atonement.
The base of Lutheranism. Martin Luther fought this kind of guys! The most famous:

"Johann Tetzel (1465 – 11 August 1519) was a Catholic German Dominican preacher known for selling indulgences, which allow a remission of temporal punishment due to sin, the guilt of which has been forgiven, by the payment of money to the church. The Holy Roman Catholic Church."
The accusation that he had sold full forgiveness for sins not yet committed caused a great scandal. It was believed that all of the money that Tetzel raised was for the ongoing reconstruction of St. Peter's Basilica, although half the money went to the Archbishop of Mainz, Cardinal Albert of Brandenburg (under whose authority Tetzel was operating), to pay off the debts incurred in securing Albert's appointment to the Archbishopric. Luther began to preach openly against him and inspired him to write his famous Ninety-Five Theses, in part, due to Tetzel's actions, in which he states!

You see Holy Roman Catholic Church and Mafia works together since centuries. An alliance of evils like W. Bush will say.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to ajm3s:

Raypray, love it!

Konfuzius writes:

For some reason my comment was so important they published it twice. Maybe a wonder!!!!!

Konfuzius writes:

in response to RayPray:

Don't try to hoodwink us!

And I know your true name is DeGroat....

....and what is her age?

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to Konfuzius:

How old are you? You blog like a drunk. Or is it Alzheimer?

konfuzious...
I am sure I am much younger than you...I am 58 years old and I take offense that u say I blog like a drunk...you are an idiot....

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to ajm3s:

Raypray, love it!

u people are really crazy..my name is Michele Barone..I am not a drunk and only 58 years old..much younger than you old fools...give up your names I know raypray is your realy name Joel told me so...how about the rest of you idiots..i sign up to this comment page to express my opinions as a tax payer on marco island not to be attacked..i am entitled to my opinion like it or not...I resent some people saying things about New Jersey...yes, I am a jersey, Italian and democrat and proud of it!!!!

tikihut2206 writes:

oh, please, all this religious mumber jumbo..I do believe in God..I am Catholic...but what does that have to do with anything...you people really get off topic!!!!

in response to tikihut2206:

Tiki,

Interesting response, but I think you may have misplaced your anger. Did I claim you were a drunk? I was simply expressing my views regarding political ideology some folks place on Jesus...

Your shotgun approach to personally targeting me is quite a feat, but the only attribute that I can claim as accurate is crazy, the other descriptors, i.e. idiot, old fool are quite off the mark, although idiot and fool is debatable, but NOT old.

But being Italian, I have hope, but the democrat thing may require more intervention to cure you of your rage.

Please enjoy for its entertainment value and occasional enlightenment brought forth by those that recognize the range of commenting.

LOL.

in response to Konfuzius:

K,

I too am frugal. I rarely give money directly to the Catholic church...even with the promise of indulgences to pay for the forgiveness of sins.

If you recall the article I cited, Mr. Wilson is quoted as saying: “One of the dumbest things you can do with money, is spend it.”

To which I shall add given your comment, to pay for indulgences.

However, I was intrigued with the donations he gave given his "conversion" from a Methodist to an atheist, especially:

"In 2007, Mr. Wilson began giving money to the Catholic school system of the Archdiocese of New York, which he considered fundamentally more efficient than the public schools. Over several years, his $30 million in contributions made him the archdiocese’s single largest individual donor."

I like efficient models. The parochial school system plays an important role in that regard, in spite of religious influence.

But again, I believe in parousia.

LOL

RayPray writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

"democrat and proud of it!!!!"

"Poor men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings,
And a king aint satisfied till he rules everything."

Konfuzius writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

" I am a jersey, Italian and democrat and proud of it!!!!"

YES! You are really high awarded. I like democrats, Italian and people from New Jersey.
My friends from NJ invited me next summer for a golf weekend. Maybe you join us too.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to ajm3s:

K,

To which I shall add given your comment, to pay for indulgences.

But again, I believe in parousia.

LOL

"But again, I believe in parousia."
What is that? I found no translation. Do you mean Paracousia? But that makes no sense.

captnjimbo writes:

One of the things I like about this web site is that occasionally the folks will stay on subject. Also it amazes me on the direction it can take when it strays...cheap and original comedy and I suppose a study in human nature.

Happy New year all.

in response to Konfuzius:

"But again, I believe in parousia."

In theological terms, it refers to the Second Coming of Christ. It happens to be my new word of the day.

I was just trying to provoke you in jest. I know you are not a fan of the Catholic faith.

Happy New Year.

Konfuzius writes:

in response to ajm3s:

Happy New Year.

YES! You are right. But I can accept your faith. My wife since 43 years is catholic. It was never a problem for her or me. And thanks for the education.
Have a happy New Year and hopefully a lot of controversial comments. Remember if we both have all the time the same opinion one of us is useless.

MrBreeze writes:

Tikihut, You need to lighten up and not take offense. Some times things get heated on topics of opinion.

Please do not call me old as I am younger than you and have been an owner on the island for more than 10 years now.

But, I do say my opinion as you also have a right to say yours and being a owner and taxpayer of Marco Island it is good to see that you are interested in the island, but I would disagree with your vision of the future of the island as you have stated in other blogs.

Again, Only my opinion.

1Paradiselost writes:

58 is NOT young!

Konfuzius writes:

in response to 1Paradiselost:

58 is NOT young!

Maybe she looks 15 years younger!

marco97 writes:

On this Island 58 is a baby.
Happy New Year.

1Paradiselost writes:

Marco Island Demographics..

Average on Marco Island is 60.1 years. Average age in Florida is 38.7.

If 58 years old was a calender, you would be entering the "September Of Your Years".

I will let the master, Mr. S describe what it's is like to be that age.

tikihut2206 writes:

in response to Konfuzius:

Maybe she looks 15 years younger!

konfuzious...
yes I am 58 and young looking..how old are you..if you are young you have no sense of humor...I entered this commentary to just voice my opinion..don't know why I was attacked for voicing my opinion..

Konfuzius writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

konfuzious...

My American co-bloggers have very thin skins sometimes. They can be bullying but they can not take criticism.

Best example Hascle.

I can take it. I am German. I am trained in democracy. Americans are not. Don't take it personal. It is what it is.

RayPray writes:

in response to tikihut2206:

konfuzious...

"yes I am...young looking"

>>> Please post a photo

"don't know why I was attacked"

>>> It's because everybody here thinks you were the gal in the car with John Corzine when his was driving over 120 mph...

AlexandraDrouhard writes:

I firmly believe that taking the anonymity out of commenting/posting on popular news sites is an excellent formula to help regulate gauche internet commentators. I genuinely enjoy having the opportunity to voice my opinion online, and find online social networking and news sites to be very enriching, at times. I have seen the product of online bullying, however, and typically those who are verbally attacking everyone from ethnic minorities, to cruel high school students, to crass and seemingly ignorant insults, are not usually posting such comments using their true name. It is far easier to attack someone or something with knowledge that there will be no repercussion for one's actions, and endless damage can be done on the other end; professional damage, emotional damage, et cetera. For these reasons, amongst others, I applaud social networking sites for asking people to stand behind their words.

-Alexandra Drouhard

tikihut2206 writes:

raypray..
really it is not funny at all...what do you mean by me being in the car with Corzine..
and for the rest of you I am definitely not thin skinned..I already said just voicing my opinion..take it or leave it..really don'
really care!!!!

tikihut2206 writes:

konfuzious..
welcome to America....are you a citizen!!! if you are good for you for coming to a country where we can voice our opinion and don't need to have things said about us...we are free...not need to be cruel..just say what you want without being mean about it!!!!