Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. POPE BENEDICT XVI TO STEP DOWN: The 85-year-old pontiff, the first to resign in nearly 600 years, says his advanced age and diminishing strength have made it too difficult to carry on.
2. SNOWED-IN NORTHEAST TRIES TO GET BACK TO WORK: Public transit returned after more than 3 feet of snow fell in some places and New York reopened a major highway where hundreds of cars were stranded.
3. MANHUNT FOR EX-LA COP MOVES TO SUBURBS: Police surround the Irvine home of a believed target of Christopher Dorner, and evacuated a San Fernando Valley store after a reported sighting.
4. GATES BACKS OVERSIGHT OF DRONE PROGRAM: The former defense secretary supports proposals for a special court to review Obama's deadly strikes against Americans linked to al-Qaida.
5. HORSEMEAT SCANDAL SPREADS THROUGHOUT EUROPE: France says Romanian butchers and Dutch and Cypriot traders were involved in the supply chain that put horsemeat disguised as beef in frozen food.
6. STAMPEDE AT HINDU FESTIVAL KILLS 37: At least 30 others are hurt when thousands celebrating the Kumbh Mela fell into a crush rushing between train platforms.
7. TWISTER DAMAGES MISS. CAMPUS: The governor was to tour hard-hit Hattiesburg today where windows were blown out and roofs ripped off at his alma mater, University of Southern Mississippi.
8. REAL-LIFE CRASH ON REALITY SHOW: Three people died in a helicopter crash near Los Angeles while filming an untitled military-themed show for the Discovery Channel.
9. GRAMMYS SPREAD THE LOVE WITH SURPRISE BEST ALBUM WINNER: Mumford & Sons' Babel won the top prize, while the Three Keys' Dan Auerbach took home four trophies and Fun. won best new artist.
10. WHY YOU'LL FIND THE YANKEES PRESIDENT AT DOG SHOW: Randy Levine, co-owner of Mitch, a 5-year-old yellow Lab, says: "He's like Derek Jeter. Very calm."
5 THINGS TO KNOW TODAY IN FLORIDA
1. MIAMI DOLPHINS OK REFERENDUM ON STADIUM: The Miami Dolphins have agreed to a local referendum on their plan seeking tax money for an upgrade of their stadium. The Dolphins believe passage by Miami-Dade County voters would help the chance of the plan's approval by the Florida Legislature.
2. GREER TRIAL PROMISES HEADACHES FOR FLA. GOP: The trial of former Republican Party of Florida chairman Jim Greer begins Monday and is expected to include testimony about questionable behavior and intraparty strife that will make both GOP leaders and the rank-and-file members cringe.
3. PUBLIC SCHOOLS LOSE MILLIONS TO CROOKS, THIEVES: A newspaper investigation finds Florida school districts paid millions to tutoring companies run by people with criminal records. Companies have also billed for tutoring that never happened. Despite uncovering fraud, school districts also never forward cases to law enforcement.
4. TESTIMONY FROM PAKISTAN IN FLORIDA TERROR TRIAL: Defense witnesses are set to testify from Pakistan in the South Florida trial of a Muslim cleric charged with financially supporting the Pakistani Taliban. The first of up to 11 witnesses will testify Monday from an Islamabad hotel. The testimony will be beamed to a Miami federal courtroom via video hookup.
5. MIAMI HEAT DEFEAT LA LAKERS: LeBron James scored 32 points on 12-for-18 shooting, and Dwayne Wade added 30 points as the Miami Heat defeated the LA Lakers 107-97 in Miami on Sunday.
■ TODAY AND EVERY DAY: Click here for links to recent arrest reports and mug shots in Collier and Lee counties.