A fire that destroyed a Marco Island home Monday afternoon was caused by a scented candle, according to fire officials.
Investigators said the candle was too close to roll of paper towels in the kitchen at a home on the 1700 block of Waterfall Court. The owner was using the candle to make the house smell good during a home showing, according to the Marco Island Fire-Rescue Department.
In a separate investigation, the state fire marshal's office is still working to determine the cause of an East Naples house fire on Monday night, although East Naples fire chief Kingman Schuldt said it was thought to be of suspicious nature.
The abandoned home on the 2000 block of Pineland Street was destroyed in a fire that started around 7 p.m. No one was inside the home at the time of the fire, Schuldt said.