Details emerge of carnage at Algerian natural gas complex; at least one American dead

Statoil's CEO Helge Lund, arrives to meet at the centre for relatives to the hostages in Algeria, which has been established near the airport, in Bergen, Norway, Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013. Algerian forces launched a military assault Thursday at a natural gas plant in the Sahara Desert, trying to free dozens of foreign hostages held by militants who have ties to Mali's rebel Islamists, diplomats and an Algerian security official said. Yet information on the Algerian operation varied wildly and the conflicting reports that emerged from the remote area were impossible to verify independently (AP Photo/Hakon Mosvold /NTB Scanpix)

Statoil's CEO Helge Lund, arrives to meet at the centre for relatives to the hostages in Algeria, which has been established near the airport, in Bergen, Norway, Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013. Algerian forces launched a military assault Thursday at a natural gas plant in the Sahara Desert, trying to free dozens of foreign hostages held by militants who have ties to Mali's rebel Islamists, diplomats and an Algerian security official said. Yet information on the Algerian operation varied wildly and the conflicting reports that emerged from the remote area were impossible to verify independently (AP Photo/Hakon Mosvold /NTB Scanpix)

Norwegian Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg, during a press conference in Oslo, Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013, about the hostage situation in Amenas Algeria. Algerian forces launched a military assault Thursday at a natural gas plant in the Sahara Desert, trying to free dozens of foreign hostages held by militants who have ties to Mali's rebel Islamists, diplomats and an Algerian security official said.Yet information on the Algerian operation varied wildly and the conflicting reports that emerged from the remote area were impossible to verify independently. (AP Photo/NTB Scanpix, Berit Roald)

Norwegian Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg, during a press conference in Oslo, Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013, about the hostage situation in Amenas Algeria. Algerian forces launched a military assault Thursday at a natural gas plant in the Sahara Desert, trying to free dozens of foreign hostages held by militants who have ties to Mali's rebel Islamists, diplomats and an Algerian security official said.Yet information on the Algerian operation varied wildly and the conflicting reports that emerged from the remote area were impossible to verify independently. (AP Photo/NTB Scanpix, Berit Roald)

CAIRO — At least one American died and an unknown number of other foreigners remain unaccounted for Friday as details began to emerge of this week’s assault by Islamist militants on a natural gas production complex in eastern Algeria.

The U.S. State Department, which had maintained a stony silence about what it had been told about the Islamist assault and an Algerian army rescue attempt the next day, acknowledged late Friday that an American, Frederick Buttaccio, had died. But its brief statement, released shortly after 7 p.m., did not say whether he had been killed by the Islamists or in the Algerian rescue effort and did not provide his hometown.

“We express our deepest condolences to his family and friends,” the statement said. “Out of respect for the family’s privacy, we have no further comment.”

The U.S. acknowledgement that one American had died came as other world leaders offered detailed accounts of what they’d been told by Algerian authorities. Survivors also provided descriptions of the ordeal that began when the Qaida-linked extremists swept through the Ain Amenas natural gas complex in eastern Algeria in the early hours of Wednesday. The Algerian rescue effort came the next day.

One survivor described how he hid for 40 hours underneath a bed until Algerian troops arrived. Another told how he saw four vehicles loaded with hostages obliterated by Algerian army fire during the rescue. But other survivors said the Algerian attack allowed hundreds to escape.

One of the most detailed accounts came from British Prime Minister David Cameron, who told Parliament that the initial Islamist attack was a “large, well-coordinated and heavily armed assault” on the compound’s residential complex and its work areas.

In all, he said that the number of British involved was “significantly less than 30,” and that one was killed during the initial assault.

In France, Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said that a French national was among the dead, shortly after getting word from Algeria.

Other nations were equally forthcoming about what they knew had taken place. In the initial hours after the attack, Norway, Ireland and Japan identified how many of their citizens were missing; a day later, Japan, Norway and Great Britain acknowledged that the Algerians did not tell them in advance that they were about to launch a ground and air offensive to rescue the hostages.

That stood in marked contrast to Obama administration’s refusal throughout much of the day to provide information about what it knew about what had taken place.

At her last news conference as secretary of state, Hillary Rodham Clinton limited her remarks to saying that the U.S. is “deeply concerned about those who remain in danger,” without saying how many of them were Americans. Victoria Nuland, the State Department spokeswoman, turned away questions from reporters. “I don’t have any information to share on the current ground situation right now,” she said.

There was no explanation offered for the U.S. reticence to provide the kind of information on the Algerian events that seemed to be flowing from other world capitals, but it comes at a time when the Obama administration is still facing questions about what it had said publicly in the days after the Sept. 11 killing of Christopher Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya, and three other Americans when Islamists attacked U.S. diplomatic compounds in Benghazi, Libya. Clinton is scheduled to testify about the matter before Congress next week.

American officials also might be hesitant about demands, reported Friday by Mauritania’s ANI news agency, that the Islamists were seeking the release of two people convicted in U.S. federal court of terrorist attacks: Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman, the so-called “blind sheikh” who is serving a life term in connection with the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center, and Aafia Siddiqui, a U.S.-trained Pakistani neuroscientist who was convicted of trying to kill her American interrogators in Afghanistan.

It remained unclear how many hostages and kidnappers died in the military assault and how many had escaped. It was also unknown how many hostages were still being held. Algeria said it was attempting to resolve the situation peacefully amid reports that the hostage-takers still held the industrial portion of the Ain Amenas complex.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Stories

Comments » 0

Be the first to post a comment!

Share your thoughts

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned. Click here for our full user agreement.

Comments can be shared on Facebook and Yahoo!. Add both options by connecting your profiles.

Features