'He put Goodland on the map' – CR 92 bridge renamed in honor of Stan Gober

Walter Kane, who spearheaded the renaming drive, speaks to the attendees. The Goodland Bridge over the Marco River officially became the Stan Gober Memorial Bridge during a brief ceremony held Tuesday morning at the foot of the bridge. Lance Shearer/Eagle Correspondent

Photo by LANCE SHEARER // Buy this photo

They made it official on Tuesday. Two days after the wrap-up of a successful and well-attended Mullet Festival, the first since the passing of Stan Gober last June, another gathering was held in his honor.

Under a canopy set up at the northern end of the County Road 92 bridge, a crowd assembled to rechristen the span, formerly called the Goodland Bridge, as the Stan Gober Memorial Bridge. Stan, the larger-than-life founder and owner of Stan's Idle Hour in Goodland, was honored for his impact on his community, and all the effort he put into a myriad of worthwhile causes.

Approximately 75 family members, friends, Goodland residents, along with print and television media, came to dedicate the span and honor its namesake with words and music, in a brief ceremony that began at 10:30 a.m. Behind the head table, a replica of the sign that had already been erected at the foot of the bridge was displayed.

As innkeeper, raconteur, stand-up comedian, singer, songwriter, and charity fund-raiser, Stan Gober cast a long shadow over the fishing village of Goodland. Speakers included Stan's son Steve Gober, who has taken over management of the family restaurant business, Goodland Civic Association president Joanie Fuller, and Walter Kane, who spearheaded the petition drive that resulted in the bridge's renaming, spoke of Stan and the legacy he left. But master of ceremonies Donna Fiala, District 1 County Commissioner, summed it up in the fewest words.

"Stan put Goodland on the map," she said. "I heard over and over again that Goodland wouldn't be Goodland today, if it weren't for Stan." Fiala and Kane noted the outpouring of support that came in response to the idea of renaming the bridge after Stan.

"We needed 1,000 signatures, and we got 1,500" without any difficulty, said Kane. "People asked to let them sign, and be a part of a lasting monument to the man they loved." Fiala pointed out a picture of Stan Gober, "the consummate Democrat," with Republican Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, John Boehner, who was a frequent visitor to Stan's when in the area.

Steve Gober became emotional in talking about what the bridge dedication means to him.

"Wow. To have a bridge named after your dad. What can you say." He said he would be aware of the honor accorded his father "every time I drive over the bridge to Stan's."

Marco Fire-Rescue Chief Mike Murphy provided the invocation, saying, "When travelers reach the top of this bridge, they are awed by the beauty of your creation. We thank you for bringing our brother Stan across this bridge" all those years ago. Murphy's department also provided a "big flag," flying from the top of the extended arm of the MIFD's tower truck.

Patriotism was on display Tuesday morning, with additional flags and red, white and blue bunting decorating the open-air tent. Love of country was about the only thing that Stan didn't joke about. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Stan's grandchildren, an extended version of the National Anthem was played to start the ceremony, and the proceedings were concluded by Jeff Hilt, Stan's longtime musical collaborator, playing and singing "God Bless America."

After the ceremony, Steve Gober and two of his sons walked over to take a closer look at the actual sign on the bridge that will memorialize their father and grandfather. As everyone who knows of Judge S.S. Jolley only because of crossing over the bridge that bears his name can attest, it's a great way to honor someone, and ensure their memory lives on.

And now, just as Stan Gober put Goodland on the map, Goodland has returned the favor, and put Stan on the map – literally.

© 2013 marconews.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

OldMarcoMan writes:

And yet Donna couldn't get the New Span of the Jolly Bridge renamed for Mike M.
Now Mike and me never got along, and I don't want to take a grain of Stans glory away, but Mike was the person who almost single handedly got that new Bridge built.
Actually having Donna their at all cheapens the whole honor.
Im glad Stan got this honor. He was a good man. Im sorry Donna ruined the ceremony by making it political.

Brisla writes:

Thanks for getting this naming right. Everybody knows who Stan is.

RayPray writes:

in response to GorchFock:

"It was President Barack Obama with his stimulus money."

>>> 100% true!

>>> The Great OBAMA used his own credit card to build the bridge, the way he is now paying for free health care for our FoodStamp nation.

>>> Why not rename all bridges in this country after our Great Helmsman.

>>> That way none of the peons supporting the grandiose Welfare State will ever get lost....

StingerRay writes:

RayPray writes:

in response to StingerRay:

StingerRay writes:

in response to GorchFock:

StingerRay writes:

in response to RayPray:

When I first read this article...I laughed. The first thought was..."The dam bridge will probably collapse now." Kind of like a hoe entering a church...roof caves in...LOL.

StingerRay writes:

in response to GorchFock:

StingerRay writes:

You didn't know Stan, Klaus. You only knew the man he wanted you to know. You hang on to that "imagine." He was a master of "perception."

I doubt very seriously if you even know what Goodland was like prior to Stan and family moving here.

Goodland was put on the "MAP" by families such as the Pettits...that built the road to Goodland with a wheelbarrow. By Commercial Fishermen that fished locally for generations, by the Robinson's that originally owned the "Idle Hour Restaurant"...the original name of "Stans Drunk Hole." Stan came and established a bar, weekend parties that disrupted the entire community, he ran gun shot over the community with his "acquaintances." BUT...he needed the locals after all...he served mullet. I believe they were called, "Grouper Sandwiches."

Now Klaus...you hang on to those perceptions of this man...as with everything else on the Island...it is all a "perception."

gogators1967 writes:

Hi StingerRay...if you know/knew the Gobers so well, why not come down to Stan's and let's talk about it. I guarantee you Stan never "cowered" when you came in and I guarantee his family won't either.
If you knew Stan so well you would know he never spent a day in jail. You would also know that while trying to keep the restaurant afloat, while taking care of his family he charter fished during the day and worked the restaurant at night. You would also know he had the water tank put in Goodland, so that it didn't have to be trucked in. You would also know he got lights put in on the curvy road. You would also know he helped Betty Bruno put several kids through college...etc...etc...the list could go on.
He had also given $1000's of dollars to various charities, Hospice, Wishing Well, Lely High School, just to name a few. The man had a heart as big as the world!
You should really consider thinking before you speak! So how bout it, come on down and say hi, or just "cower" behind your screen name, would love to sit and chat with you all day about Stan, who was a real man!

StingerRay writes:

Please...Am I addressing his "family",an employees..or better yet a loyal patron?

1. "Stan never spent a day in jail..." You have to get caught or have friends in high places with deep pockets to stay out of jail. And please, refer to my prior post...I stated..."Someone posted on his memorial, etc."

2. "Stan charter fished to keep the restaurant afloat..." (among other things.)

3. "He had the water tank put in Goodland." Stan was the largest consumer of water at the time. The cost to have the water trucked in to the consumer was high. Not to mention...the remaining residents experienced low water pressure during Stans peak consumption hours. Didn't make for a happy community..nor did it make his wallet fatter, being trucked in.

3."He got light s put in on the curving road..." His "patrons were parking along the curvy road, because he converted his parking lot into a dance floor. He was liable for any injuries/deaths due to his "patrons staggering back to their vehicles.

4. "He helped Betty Bruno put several kids through College and he donated to charities." Stan was a "cash only" business for many years. As he accepted credit cards, paper trail...Donations are an excellent tax write off.Also...I can name numerous kids in Goodland that never had the opportunity to go to College.

Stan did put Goodland on the map in one regard...can you figure out what that is?

StingerRay writes:

Klaus dear:

I spoke this way to Stan's face when he was alive. I am just astound at how many fools exist.Please include yourself in this existing group.

As for you...Apparently you aren't from "America", based on your idiotic statement. However, you seem to have no issue with planting your arse in this Country.

Grammer lesson for you:

"Unfortunately is is one of the worse character attributes of many Americans to speak badly about people are not present or can not defense themselves anymore."

"people are not present "...People whom are not present."

"can not defense themselves"..."People can not defend themselves."

They have classes for this..you know. I believe they are even offered free of charge. Wouldn't even tap into your drinking funds.

Have a great day...and...welcome to "America."

StingerRay writes:

I never ask you to support my opinion of Stan Gober.

As a matter of fact...I exercised my Constitutional Right of Freedom of Speech...and your true colors showed through beautifully in every post you made.

You made a debate out of my opinion...and I have nothing to prove to you. I had no intention of changing your "opinion"...but you seemed to think you would change mine.

And DON'T EVER tell me to be quiet. You need to go back to what ever Country that kicked you out. You have a lot to learn about living in this Country.

And let me set you straight...I have no vendetta against Stan Gober. My opinion of him stands...he was a drunkard, crook, user, con artist and walked all over anyone to line his pocket book. As for his or YOUR political affiliation..I could care less. But YOU seem to find issue with everyone else.

The alcohol isn't working for you...you need therapy and medication.

No further responses will be made to your uneducated, ignorant, arrogant arse.

easeup72 writes:

in response to StingerRay:

I never ask you to support my opinion of Stan Gober.

The alcohol isn't working for you...you need therapy and medication.

No further responses will be made to your uneducated, ignorant, arrogant arse.

I would rather be a "fool" by your definition that a mean self-righteous overly sober jerk. Stan was widely loved and certainly not perfect; who among us is? And since you like to pontificate about grammatical accuracy..its "I couldn't care less". Stan did a lot of lovely things for many people and most importantly he has grandchildren that don't need to read your nasty thoughts about his character.

StingerRay writes:

in response to easeup72:

It's "than"..not "That."

You should try sober sometime...you are capable of remembering what you say and do, when out in public, drunkards have that disadvantage.

"Stan did a lot of lovely things for many people and most importantly he has grandchildren that don't need to read your nasty thoughts about his character."

Stan did what he wanted for whom he wanted, period. That does not justify a group of fools renaming a bridge after a drunkard that turn a small town into a gathering place for drunks.

As for "his grandchildren reading my post."
Stan had no regard for my children being subjected to his drunks and loud parties. Need you forget, his business is location at the main entrance to the only way in and out of Goodland.
Nothing so wonderful as driving your children past the display of drunks and fools that clogged the street from his "money maker." You could not sit in your home, with the windows closed, without hearing his mouth and music.
With that being said...why should I have any respect for his spawn..that continues on with his "business."

Now all you drunkards and fools can post away in defense of this person and his family all you want.You can praise him for taking his drunkards funds and helping those he felt worthy of his tax write off.

I have a difference of opinion of the man and his deeds, all based on experience from knowing him for over 45 years. My opinion of renaming the bridge in his "honor"...only confirms that you are all fools that can be bought with a drunks funds.

I would rather be a "mean self-righteous overly sober jerk"...than a "Drunkards Fool and a hypocrite."

RayPray writes:

in response to StingerRay:

It's "than"..not "That."

As for "his grandchildren reading my post."

The high integrity of Goober patriotism has been multiply attested to by:

---Marco Island Chamber of Commerce

---DNA Donna Fiala

---KlausStoertebeker

Authority enough to satisfy any doubts you might have.

Moreover, it is well known that Marco Eagle reporters are fully the equals of Woodward & Bernstein in persistence & penetration.

So, you can be confident that even now they are beavering away in their investigations into any suggestion of dubious & overblown Goober fundraising....